That's all well and good saying that, but where would Rangers play all of these youngsters? We can't afford to take the time to give them all their chance and wait for them to develop in the first team. We HAVE to win the league each season.

How many teams play a young team and win titles and cups consistently?

yeah no place for promising youth with quality like kevin kyle and cribari to tantalise the support.

I with you, but the five players you quote sums up the problems with the youth system is. Only McLeod and to a lesser extent Gallagher(who came from Boys Club football quite late) were discovered and developed by Rangers. The other three's first contact with Rangers was a professional one, having been developed elsewhere. Having been at most of the games the three played as trialists you would have to have been blind not to sign them.

I won't argue about your greater wealth of experience with the youth setup. But let me ask you, in our position don't you think that if we get one or two new players per year from the youth programme trialed and bedded with the first team squad we are doing well?

As always from Elfideldo, vital information about the shambles under Sinclair at Auchenhowie, for that we should all be grateful.

I won't argue about your greater wealth of experience with the youth setup. But let me ask you, in our position don't you think that if we get one or two new players per year from the youth programme trialed and bedded with the first team squad we are doing well?

Which would mean we go into the SPL next season with more than half a team of Rangers bred youths. Who are they? Right now, MacLeod is possibly the only ONE who will be good enough to play at that level in the first team consistently and even then, anything can happen.

I'm not suggesting we should have a team full of home grown players, and where as mistakes are always going to be made we have to look to improve. When Falkirk can potentially take in £2 million on three players we released that suggests we could be making better decisions on youth players. This allied to the fact he has bought 20+ 13/14 year olds over the years and only a handful were deemed good enough at 16 to be offered a contract.

Any player at all progressing would be a bonus, but the real issue is the number decisions we are getting wrong. Scottish clubs have to produce and sell players in the current climate, a few have been successful at this, while we continually have to pay players to leave. The transfer window closes in a few days and I watch with interest to see who will be next to get a lump sum to leave.

Just out of interest, how many have we released who have since gone on and vanished into the wilderness of the Scottish game et al?

Plenty as is the case even with Real Madrid and Barcelona.

If these guys were integrated into the first team and had superior coaching perhaps they would turn into players. I'm sure Messi, Iniesta etc wouldn't have been half the same quality if they sat on the bench until 23 then got released.

Just out of interest, how many have we released who have since gone on and vanished into the wilderness of the Scottish game et al?

Plenty as is the case even with Real Madrid and Barcelona.

If these guys were integrated into the first team and had superior coaching perhaps they would turn into players. I'm sure Messi, Iniesta etc wouldn't have been half the same quality if they sat on the bench until 23 then got released.

A vital component in youth development is integration into the first team and developing ability through first team exposure.

If we had a Wayne Rooney type player by sheer fluke, do you think we would play him regularly at 16 like Everton did? I doubt he'd get near the team until 19 at the very earliest. By that point all raw ability would likely be coached out of him too and he'd find himself playing on the wing.

That's all well and good saying that, but where would Rangers play all of these youngsters? We can't afford to take the time to give them all their chance and wait for them to develop in the first team. We HAVE to win the league each season.

How many teams play a young team and win titles and cups consistently?

That's a big reason we find ourselves in this position, i would quite happily spend 5 or 6 years getting back to the top flight as long as it was done right and we were prepared when we got there.

The way we've done it we won't be and we'll have to spend yet more money building yet another team and again probably all veterans....

That's a big reason we find ourselves in this position, i would quite happily spend 5 or 6 years getting back to the top flight as long as it was done right and we were prepared when we got there.

The way we've done it we won't be and we'll have to spend yet more money building yet another team and again probably all veterans....

It could have been done right in 3 years, but i get your point. An extra couple of years "getting it right" could be worth 10 years if we just keep stumbling from one financial crisis to another.