Ally McCoist: Rangers promotion through play-offs would be acceptable

He's absolutely right in that the goal is to get into the top flight by any legal means. However, to intimate in October that you will not win the league is extremely poor. How do you motivate your locker room when they read that as being acceptable? You can't defend that kind of an attitude.

Honestly didn't think my hatred of this man could get any greater.

Glad you said it. This is a touchy subject because I'm not sure what is acceptable to say.

However, I will say I have absolutely no respect left for this man whatsoever. I think that's a fair way of articulating my feelings on the subject.

He's absolutely right in that the goal is to get into the top flight by any legal means. However, to intimate in October that you will not win the league is extremely poor. How do you motivate your locker room when they read that as being acceptable? You can't defend that kind of an attitude.

He's been absolutely right in not a single thing since he took over.

I think it was the obvious way to read it unless you speak Ally's version of our language.

"You've got two automatic promotions then I think that's the target."

His English is indeed appalling but I took it that he was referring to his "achievements". I interpreted it as you've as in we have won two automatic promotions or you've as in we have got two automatic promotions, in the bag so to speak.

The royal "we" or "you" perhaps.

Then you have to interpret "I think that's the target" as I think that was the target. Once you work all that out you might get his meaning, so misunderstanding is not surprising.

Americans tend to use the past tense when referring to the present, perhaps he's trying to develop an opposite form of language.

It is a struggle, but I would have some sympathy for him here if he has been ambushed with a loaded question followed up with a bit of creative editing.

Is that the case?

It definitely is the case because having now watched the video the quotes in the article are very selective and also not verbatim.

Back on topic, a Rangers manager settling or apparently settling for second best at any time that it is still mathematically possible to be first is unacceptable, a Rangers manager settling or apparently settling for second best less than a quarter way into the season is a sacking offence in my book.

I think he's been led into this and he should have been smarter in dealing with it. Promotion is the name of the game but for a club like Rangers, which has never been lower than 6th in the league in its history, settling for a playoff spot, or giving the appearance that this might be acceptable, is ill-advised and misguided.

Regardless off how the media have played this....Ally sounds like a man who knows he has taken us as far as he can go....

It's time for him to go , and bring in someone to build for next season or under Ally it will be about avoiding relegation as our standards have dropped so much...