Confirmed: Macleod called up for Scotland

I'd say Macleod is at his best when he's given an effective free role where he roams between midfield and attack. On paper he may appear to play wide-left but in real terms he plays more inside and usually links well with Wallace and the strikers in a slightly withdrawn old inside left role. He has the engine and pace to do this and this shows up most in the latter stages of games.

Law could perhaps do a similar job on the right but that would then leave us short of width as rather than effectively playing a 4-1-3-2 with Templeton completing the three forwards; McCoist would probably prefer a 4-2-2-2 with someone like Faure or Hutton in beside Black. I doubt the fans would be as enthused with that. In any case, we do have the option to be more flexible in where folk play and we shouldn't get too hung up with Macleod not playing in an orthodox central midfield position.

A week ago Saturday at Dumbarton with the absence of Black, MacLeod did play, in the middle of the park, and was unimpressive IMHO.

Last Saturday in the second half he played on the right side and was the only offensive threat/spark in a dismal display.

I don't care where he plays as long as he plays. He is a gem with a very bright future. I hope he stays and becomes a legend.

Truly sick of this 'playing out of position' pish, give it a rest ...............

No doubt he will play tonight ... on the right wing again. IMHO, he's best used in a (left-sided) attacking midfield role, with someone like Black covering behind him. Our main problem against Dumbarton was that Law was no-where to be seen and it was essentially Miller being the creative attacking midfielder - in both games! Macleod on the unfamiliar right did not help either. It simply beggars belief that Ally does not have the guts to bench players who underperform. He's got decent enoug alternatives on the bench in Templeton, Peralta and Shiels, but he stubbornly sticks to his game plan and does not change things for 65odd minutes, unless injury strikes. Grow a harder spine, Ally! Games like tonight's are meant to give the full squad a go at it, we don't want people who hardly played a game all season being required against Killie or the Hooped Horrors should injury strike to the hard core 11 that we see week in and week out, no matter what.

I'd say Macleod is at his best when he's given an effective free role where he roams between midfield and attack. On paper he may appear to play wide-left but in real terms he plays more inside and usually links well with Wallace and the strikers in a slightly withdrawn old inside left role. He has the engine and pace to do this and this shows up most in the latter stages of games.

Law could perhaps do a similar job on the right but that would then leave us short of width as rather than effectively playing a 4-1-3-2 with Templeton completing the three forwards; McCoist would probably prefer a 4-2-2-2 with someone like Faure or Hutton in beside Black. I doubt the fans would be as enthused with that. In any case, we do have the option to be more flexible in where folk play and we shouldn't get too hung up with Macleod not playing in an orthodox central midfield position.

I'd actually start thinkiing about how to approach the Yahoo game already, which we will do defensively. So why not trial a Mohsni* next to Black in defensive midfield, with the former in a free'er role and the order to go up front whenever the opportunity arises? Put Daly or Boyd up front alone, and pacey midfielders in close proximity.

Robinson

Foster - McGregor - McCulloch - Wallace

Black - Mohsni

Templeton - Macleod - Miller/Clark

Daly/Boyd

Enough people out there to cover the defence, yet enough too who have pace and a shot in them. Mohsni could even go up to a striker's role should opportunity present itself.

*Yep, Mohsni's temperament might be a liabilty on occasion and the Yahoos will sure try to work him up. He's still rather good in breaking play up and has a pass in his foot that some others (in our side) dream of.

We'll go 5-4-1 against Celtic - nothing surer.

Miller or Clark will be the lone striker expected to feed off scraps for when our midfield do actually get possession. Yes, Faure, Mohsni or Hutton may be McCoist's wild card but they'll be more of an auxiliary centre half to man-mark Commons than anything else.

McCoist will be playing for a penalty shoot out. There's next to no chance of two men up front and/or a winger being used. Even if we do go a 4-5-1 then we'll have a Smith playing well ahead of a Templeton.

Only way this won't happen is if we have injuries or suspensions forcing the manager into something more adventurous.

I'd say Macleod is at his best when he's given an effective free role where he roams between midfield and attack...............we shouldn't get too hung up with Macleod not playing in an orthodox central midfield position.

This

Look where MacLeod's assists/goals have come from, his game sense, passing plays. Over the last two season when the Black, Law, MacLeod midfield partnership was established against lesser opposition, all three rotated freely throughout midfield & attack. Law has clearly been the bigger disappointment through his inconsistency, despite a great engine and scoring ability. (Can anyone explain how he manages to disappear in games?) MacLeod in contrast is gaining valuable experience and confidence from his free rein, long may it continue.

Well done to Strachan for recognising the emerging talent. Keep up the good work Lewis ...............

We'll go 5-4-1 against Celtic - nothing surer.

Miller or Clark will be the lone striker expected to feed off scraps for when our midfield do actually get possession. Yes, Faure, Mohsni or Hutton may be McCoist's wild card but they'll be more of an auxiliary centre half to man-mark Commons than anything else.

McCoist will be playing for a penalty shoot out. There's next to no chance of two men up front and/or a winger being used. Even if we do go a 4-5-1 then we'll have a Smith playing well ahead of a Templeton.

Only way this won't happen is if we have injuries or suspensions forcing the manager into something more adventurous.

If I was McCoist I would be investigating various "wild card" options.

I would be looking at Carlos Bocanegra - to come in for 6 months to shore up our defence against them.