• 2 weeks later...

Shamed former Rangers owner Craig Whyte claims he is innocent of fraud charges over Ibrox takeover.

WHYTE, who is accused of swindling his way to power at Rangers, vowed to clear his name but insisted he has no fear of prison.

CRAIG Whyte claimed he was innocent of fraud charges over his Rangers takeover.

Former owner Whyte, who is accused of swindling his way to power at Ibrox , vowed to clear his name but said he had no fear of prison.

Whyte, 43, was speaking for the first time after he was dramatically arrested in Mexico last month .

He said: “These are huge issues and I don’t take any of it lightly. I always sleep well at night. I know that I have done absolutely nothing wrong. Over the last six months, I don’t think it has been very difficult.

“But if you asked me over the last month, I would say it hasn’t been very pleasant in lots of ways.”

Whyte, who plunged Gers into administration during his controversial reign, faces jail time if he is convicted of serious charges.

He said: “It wouldn’t be very nice but it doesn’t frighten me.

“It’s not something I would wish on anybody but I hope that it doesn’t come to that.

“It’s too early to be thinking like that, I’m positive.”

The businessman, from Motherwell, blasted prosecutors and cops over his nicking in Mexico City minutes after landing on a flight from Japan.

He said: “I agreed to surrender on December 8 so I was taken by surprise to be detained in Mexico. In my view the Crown Office and the police did that for the publicity - there was no extradition.

“I came back here voluntarily, I have co-operated with prosecutors for the last two years and they have still not asked me a question.”

Whyte said he had no plans to get involved in football again.

He added: “I don’t regret doing it because I think you regret the things you don’t do — but I wouldn’t do it again. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I wouldn’t be rushing to do a football deal again.”

The tycoon, once based in Monaco, became a hate figure among supporters after taking Gers into administration as they tumbled from top-flight football to Division Three. The club was later liquidated, sparking an exodus of top players.

He said: “I never asked for any of it. I’m a private, low-key kind of guy, not at all suited to being involved in a football club. What everyone forgets is I’m the only person in recent years who hasn’t taken a penny out of Rangers.

“Even these current charges, I don’t think I’m accused of taking any money out of Rangers. “I bought a company that was bankrupt for £1. Rangers were already completely bankrupt at the time when I got involved.

“All I did was step in to try to rescue a situation that was already way beyond. It was my intention to take it forward as a business and not to see it in the sorry state it is in at the moment.”

Whyte, banned from Scottish football for life in 2012, said he was still upset by the fall of Rangers. He said: “I’m not angry, you have to play the hand that you are dealt but disappointed is a fair comment.

“I’m a Rangers fan myself , my family are Rangers fans. They have every right to be angry but there is nothing I’m going to say that will make any difference about their anger so it’s pointless trying to have that conversation.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shamed-former-rangers-owner-craig-4807762