The fall of Ian Black

I mean the chap who dominated, intimidated and bullied Black for 90 mins. Call him an animal if you like, but he's what a *real* midfield enforcer looks like.

First time that I've seen a Bluenose giving this chap any sort of credit. As if a) he was playing against Black alone, b) Black wouldn't have been yellowed and redded in no time had he done the same and c) he was any sort of a better footballer than Black.

mediocre? The guy is captain of his club and country, neither of which play half as well when he's missing. The Brown of your description existed maybe 5 years ago - but no longer. I'll grant you, he no Souness, but then that's not his job. He's an engineer, not an architect. If I could have my pick of any player in Scotland to sign for next season, he would be it.

That may be true, yet, I remember quite a few players who get it in the neck here like there is no tomorrow despite being much of the same - perhaps not captains, but anyway.

Fernando Ricksen was a good attacking RB who was sometimes effectively deployed as an attacking MF; Black is a defensive midfielder and no more.

The only similarity I see is that both are prone to lose the plot.

Fernando Ricksen only had one real good season with us when he was sober. He was also made captain that year. Black has also only had one decent season and the rest below par. That is my likeness and nothing to do with position.

true but he was still very very ordinary.

The problem here is that Black was and is time and again singled out for flak, if not to say abuse. And more often than not, that's not because of him being the ordinary footballer - which we all agree on. We have and had far better footballers and they have let us down badly these last few seasons. It would be good if they get at least the same "recognition" in that respect as Black does. As I said before, shooting the sitting duck is not what we should indulge in, when there is so much current mediocrity around.

Maybe we should move on and look forward a little more, hoping that McDowall will bring on players who still have a burning desire to perform on the field of play, while "resting" the underachiving veterans.