Lafferty - Bring Me Back To Rangers

See, I agree with all of your post.... until you get to the totally expected negative superlatives.

"Absolutely useless" - you do fully understand what you are saying there, right ? His game winning goals mean he is absolutely useless ? His contribution to a title win was absolutely useless ?

You could have selected far better, and more accurate, terminology than "absolutely useless". How about "flatters to deceive", "Not prolific" or even "not a very good footballer" - all of which would make sense - but "absolutely useless" just isn't true (and I say that as someone who would like to call Lafferty just that.... except he isn't, or wasn't for us at least - he made his contribution which, by definition, means he wasn't absolutely useless).

I agree, he did score some some important goals for us but then so did Ehiogu. For the money we paid for him he was very mediocre.

Lafferty was posted missing far too often for us or he'd succumb to a weird injury he'd get while out bowling or something.

If he has genuinely said he wants to come back he is chancing it.

Scoring barely a handful of goals a season isn't doing the business when it matters. A season isn't just made up of a few games at the end of it. The guy is absolutely useless.

It was more than a handful never mind barely a handful. A goal every other game. His number of starts was poor.

I agree, he did score some some important goals for us but then so did Ehiogu. For the money we paid for him he was very mediocre.

Lafferty was posted missing far too often for us or he'd succumb to a weird injury he'd get while out bowling or something.

If he has genuinely said he wants to come back he is chancing it.

I couldn't agree more. And I agree with SBS post, other than the useless comment. Mediocre would be far more fitting.

I couldn't agree more. And I agree with SBS post, other than the useless comment. Mediocre would be far more fitting.

Perhaps completely useless is over egging it but I don't rate him much higher than that and mediocre is being very generous.

He is a forward and his league returns for us were 6 - 7 - 11 - 7. Now playing in attack for either of the old firm in the SPL, that's just appalling. A half decent forward for that level should be easily getting 20-25+. To put things into consideration, Lafferty scored 38 goals in all competitions over 4 seasons. Billy McKay scored 27 for Caley in one.

His overall goal scoring record is 73 goals in 324 games. Again, bearing in mind that he's not been playing at that high levels, it's very poor. We see midfielders doing better than that.

His all round game doesn't have much to it either.

Lafferty was a decent player in patches and, when in the right frame of mind, a genuine asset to the team.

Unfortunately, he was also unreliable, had no discipline and was injury prone. We've had worst signings but at around £3.5m he didn't really represent great value over the 4 years he featured.

I didn't realise he was still only 27 but I still wouldn't be interested in bringing him back.

Just checked the team he is currently playing for, Çaykur Rizespor. They have had 63* different managers since 1968. Must be some kind of world record ...

As for Lafferty, I'd rather give Gallagher, Hardie and Co. a go at this moment and time.

*Okay, I did not check whether some took that honour twice or more.

Perhaps completely useless is over egging it but I don't rate him much higher than that and mediocre is being very generous.

He is a forward and his league returns for us were 6 - 7 - 11 - 7. Now playing in attack for either of the old firm in the SPL, that's just appalling. A half decent forward for that level should be easily getting 20-25+. To put things into consideration, Lafferty scored 38 goals in all competitions over 4 seasons. Billy McKay scored 27 for Caley in one.

His overall goal scoring record is 73 goals in 324 games. Again, bearing in mind that he's not been playing at that high levels, it's very poor. We see midfielders doing better than that.

His all round game doesn't have much to it either.

I am far from defending him here as he wasn't my type of player either - but he often didn't feature as a striker but was shunted wide to accommodate others.

Either way, I cant see him back at Ibrox, nor would I wish him back unless the wages were minimal.

Just checked the team he is currently playing for, Çaykur Rizespor. They have had 63* different managers since 1968. Must be some kind of world record ...

As for Lafferty, I'd rather give Gallagher, Hardie and Co. a go at this moment and time.

*Okay, I did not check whether some took that honour twice or more.

Was Mad Vlad the owner during that period ? :P

Edited by craig

The last thing we need is a player who's so much of a clown that he manages to injure himself falling off the team bus.

I don't like thinking about it, but it cost us almost £8.5m in transfer fees to sign Lafferty, Edu & Jig. Can you imagine how much those 3 players cost the Club in wages + bonuses and perks as well? All-in you're probably talking about £20m+ squandered on 3 extremely mediocre (being polite here) football players.

Edited by Zappa