RST Statement on Sectarian Language

Going back to the OP, I would like to see a statement from the RST decrying the increasing incidence of songs including FTP and f***** blood that have crept back into use in recent months and were particularly evident on Easter Road both before and after the match and inside the ground on Sunday.

I would like to see the RST condemn such behaviour that brings Rangers Football Club into disrepute and remind all its fans that they are ambassadors for the Club wherever and whenever we travel.

Going back to the OP, I would like to see a statement from the RST decrying the increasing incidence of songs including FTP and f***** blood that have crept back into use in recent months and were particularly evident on Easter Road both before and after the match and inside the ground on Sunday.

I would like to see the RST condemn such behaviour that brings Rangers Football Club into disrepute and remind all its fans that they are ambassadors for the Club wherever and whenever we travel.

Yep, got to agree BH about bringing our club into disrepute, I'm sick of hearing it too, and something needs to come from the RST in order to stamp it out.

No it wasn't childish.

According to the RST's own statement, he gave two warnings earlier in the meeting, then walked out when "the SFA administration was (accused of) not (being) impartial".

https://www.facebook.com/RangersSupportersTrust/posts/10151447795410191

The Clubs that make up the SFA may well not have been impartial but Regan is an employee who has to carry out their bidding and does not make any significant decisions.

I have met Stewart Regan on a number of occasions; he is not easy to negotiate with but accusing his administration of lack of impartiality is not a course of action that was likely to win friends and influence people.

You take very strange sides in arguments.

Though I agree with that.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Of course Rangers fans are trying to eradicate songs from fans and as far as I know we are doing a reasonable job in addressing that,although it still needs to improve,however the statement released by the RST addresses the issue head on regarding Celtic as a club are defending sectarian singing,which is actually the point the statement was released.

Yep, got to agree BH about bringing our club into disrepute, I'm sick of hearing it too, and something needs to come from the RST in order to stamp it out.

I only referred to the RST in this connection because there is no use making statements about alleged sectarian behaviour by employees of other Clubs at the same time ignoring the embarrassing conduct of our own fans, albeit a minority but a very vocal minority at that.

A well known and influential former (I think) member of the RST Board was standing just in front of me at the match so must have heard what was going on.

FoCUS were at the match and filming. They have not been so much in evidence in recent times but assuredly will be back in numbers with increasing frequency if this type of behaviour continues.

Note the final paragraph of the statement

The Rangers Supporters Trust remains committed to eradicating all forms of sectarianism from Scottish football but, until these issues are dealt with without fear or favour by press and politicians, there will be no lasting solution.

How productive will it be for the RST to make such statements while fans perceive the SFA to be guilty of double standards?

Note the final paragraph of the statement

How productive will it be for the RST to make such statements while fans perceive the SFA to be guilty of double standards?

People in glass houses and all that.

Once we eradicate unacceptbale behaviour from our ranks we can take the moral high ground.

I only referred to the RST in this connection because there is no use making statements about alleged sectarian behaviour by employees of other Clubs at the same time ignoring the embarrassing conduct of our own fans, albeit a minority but a very vocal minority at that.

I know that, and as you say there is no way anyone will take the word of the RST seriously if they don't condemn their own fans when taking up a stance on sectarian language. Outsiders will take the pot kettle view all the time.

People in glass houses and all that.

Once we eradicate unacceptable behaviour from our ranks we can take the moral high ground.

Again, I'm not sure how that will happen while a perceived double standard exists.

I predict no change until we get punished by a football authority.

It is also interesting to consider whether or not it makes sense to talk about glass houses in this case. We are talking about a player rather than the supporters here. I wonder how far back we would need to go to find a similar situation with one of our players. Recently a director resigned due to an offensive tweet and as far as I can tell he didn't get any backing from Rangers. Are we really in a glass house?