Mohsni's performance against Cowdenbeath

Rangers may have defeated Cowdenbeath 4-1 on Saturday but there was one moment in the game their fans will want to forget.

Rangers were 1-0 up when defender Bilel Mohsni failed to clear the ball while under pressure from Kudus Oyenuga before inexplicably passing the ball straight to Colin Marshall who played Oyenuga in for the equaliser.

With just 14 minutes of normal-time remaining, Rangers may have been left to rue that moment of madness, but Darren McGregor and Haris Vukcic had other ideas.

McGregor put Rangers back in front with seven minutes left before the on-loan forward scored two goals in two minutes to put the match to bed.

It meant Mohsni’s blunder did not prove costly but it does leave Rangers fans wondering how many more chances the Tunisian defender will get.

I think there is a good player in there somewhere but i am not sure whether a good coach can bring it out on him. I have not seen many defenders that are better at getting in front of the man they are marking. He is excellent at that. it seems to be if he has time to think that it all goes wrong.

Thoughts?

Edited by pete

One of our main problems is that the "goals scored from chances against us" ratio is horrible. The opposition needs 3 or 4 chances to score a goal or two against us, whereas we squander chances by the dozens. Last season, we scored more goals so any slack defending was not as important as it is now.

Mohsni sure is a decent enough footballer, but we simply should not play him in central defence. Unless you have cover like we did against Hibs. I haven't seen the full game against Cowdenbeath, so can't comment on it. Obviously, if defenders and goalies make mistakes, it can cost you games. As I said before, if we have to play him, utilize him in a holding midfield role with the opportunity to go forward, as he can pass and head a ball and sure poses a threat in the opposition's box. Wouldn't mind playing him next to Murdoch in front of the back four in a defensive line-up away at Hearts, for example.

There are two big problems with Mohsni:

1. He thinks he can play football which he cannot; hence his over confidence which leads to mistakes such as v Cowdenbeath and Hibs.

2. He is an absolute disgrace of a person. I have said it before and I will say it again; taking account of his previous misdemeanors he should never have kicked another ball for Rangers after his flying head butt in Derby.

Quite simply he is not fit to wear the colours.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

One of our main problems is that the "goals scored from chances against us" ratio is horrible. The opposition needs 3 or 4 chances to score a goal or two against us, whereas we squander chances by the dozens. Last season, we scored more goals so any slack defending was not as important as it is now.

Mohsni sure is a decent enough footballer, but we simply should not play him in central defence. Unless you have cover like we did against Hibs. I haven't seen the full game against Cowdenbeath, so can't comment on it. Obviously, if defenders and goalies make mistakes, it can cost you games. As I said before, if we have to play him, utilize him in a holding midfield role with the opportunity to go forward, as he can pass and head a ball and sure poses a threat in the opposition's box. Wouldn't mind playing him next to Murdoch in front of the back four in a defensive line-up away at Hearts, for example.

We were beating Cowden 14-1 on shots in the first half. Over 90 minutes we had 24 shots, 8 on target and scored 4 goals (and their goalie had two fantastic saves from McCullocch and Mohsni headers at corners); Cowden had 2 shots, both on target and scored 1 goal.

We were beating Cowden 14-1 on shots in the first half. Over 90 minutes we had 24 shots, 8 on target and scored 4 goals (and their goalie had two fantastic saves from McCullocch and Mohsni headers at corners); Cowden had 2 shots, both on target and scored 1 goal.

I saw the highlights from Russian Rangers and the SPFL site actually has all the relevant facts. (How the latter managed to miss out the goal as a shot on target is debatable though.) ;)