Fans Tribute To Sandy

wee Doddie

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/8955-magnificent-sandy-deserves-this

ALEX MacDonald says the unveiling of the new Sandy Jardine bronze bust is a fitting tribute for a fantastic man.

The pair spent 20-years together as players, coaches and managers and 12 of those were spent playing in Rangers blue.

And the former midfielder thinks it will be special for Sandy’s grandchildren to be able to see the impact he made at Ibrox.

He joined fellow players Alex Miller, Colin Stein, Willie Johnston and Rangers director John Gilligan on an emotional day to give the press the first glimpse of the sculpture.

Alex said: “He would have been thrilled with it; you can see how we feel seeing it and he would have been over the moon.

“It is great for him and his family; his grandkids can come to Ibrox and see that Grandpa is up there.

“It is fantastic and absolutely brilliant; it is a great credit to the club and the supporters who helped to get it done.

“He was a wonderful person; from kids to grown-ups he would help them in any way possible, even talking about wages and things like that.

“He was always there for anybody to approach at Ibrox, Tynecastle or anywhere – he was that type of person.”

Alex and Sandy used to be roommates at Rangers and Hearts and he joked: “I did sleep with the guy for 20-years so I definitely know it looks like him!

“I did an interview a while ago and the lad said to me “Isn’t it great he has a stand named after him?” and I said “Yeah it’s fantastic, he’s got a stand and I’ve got a door!”

“But this is a great tribute to Sandy and he thoroughly deserves it because of the time he put into this club, plus the time he gave after the football had stopped.

“He was so loved here and he had his famous song “Sandy, Sandy in royal blue.

“He was dedicated to Rangers and won everything with all different managers, he helped them, he drilled them and he set them up – he did a magnificent job here.”

Sandy and Alex both starred for Hearts as well as the Gers and after Sandy had spent a spell as Alex’s number two at Tynecastle they managed the Jambos together from 1986-1990.

But it is Rangers where their hearts remained and with a new board and management team Alex is hoping things are looking up for the club that the pair both loved.

He continued: “Now the club has turned around it is fantastic, they’ve got the right people in and they are people who are going to look after the club and give back to the fans.

“I am sure the board will work very hard, I know Douglas Park personally, he was a director at Tynecastle when I was there and he is a worker as well.

“I think Stuart and Kenny Black are doing a grand job on the pitch and it is different and you hear the supporters saying that too - I’ve known Kenny a long time and he is good at what he does.

“It is good to get someone in with some new and fresh ideas who can maybe change the training.

“I’m looking forward to the game at the weekend and yes there is always a little case of divided loyalties but once a Ranger always a Ranger.

“I think Hearts have been well organised and even when Craig Levein was a player he was a wee clever cookie and he goes into things deeply – they have done unbelievably well there.

“I thought Rangers and Hibs would have been closer to them but that is football and that is why we all come and watch it, because it is unpredictable.”