Rangers boss Stuart McCall calls for rule change.

Rangers boss Stuart McCall calls for rule change as he sweats over play-off suspensions

07:31, 19 April 2015

By Scott McDermott

THE Ibrox boss could be without key men Darren McGregor and Kenny Miller for at least one play-off fixture if either receives another booking in the remaining league games.

SNS/Sammy Turner

Rangers manager Stuart McCall

RANGERS boss Stuart McCall fears he’ll miss two of his star men for the play-offs – and has urged SFA chiefs to change their suspension rules.

Ryan Hardie was star of the show yesterday after he scored twice on his first start as Rangers came from behind to beat Dumbarton.

However, the Ibrox gaffer wants to see accumulated yellow cards scrapped at the end of the league season, giving players a clean slate going into the play-offs.

Rangers duo Darren McGregor and Kenny Miller are currently on five bookings apiece and will miss at least one play-off fixture if they pick up another caution in either of the club’s last two Championship games.

McCall said: “I definitely think it should be looked at. As soon as the league season finishes, I think suspensions should be wiped.

“I’m not saying this just for Rangers, it’s for everyone. It won’t happen this season but maybe in the future.”

I totally disagree with him. If you have qualified for the play-offs due to consistent fouling then you deserve to lose the players involved. If a player is smart he will take a booking before the play-offs to clear himself.

I agree with McCall. These are in effect extra games so accumulative bookings shouldn't have an affect on them.

You can easily argue this one both ways but I would not agree with McCall; the season isn't over till FT in the last play-off game.

If a player is on 5 bookings going into the last league game of the season and the rule prevents him committing another bookable offence then it is a good rule; and conversely if he were to commit another bookable offence and "get away with it" by avoiding a suspension , then it would be a bad rule.

In any event it's arguable that losing Miller would be beneficial to the team, not so McGregor of course.

You can easily argue this one both ways but I would not agree with McCall; the season isn't over till FT in the last play-off game.

If a player is on 5 bookings going into the last league game of the season and the rule prevents him committing another bookable offence then it is a good rule; and conversely if he were to commit another bookable offence and "get away with it" by avoiding a suspension , then it would be a bad rule.

In any event it's arguable that losing Miller would be beneficial to the team, not so McGregor of course.

It's semantics: what constitutes a 'league game'? By definition the play-offs are not a league game, so therefore accumulated league bookings should not count.

Edited by Rousseau

The rules for accumulative yellow cards have been daft for years because key players having to miss important games in the second half of the season has caused clubs to bend the rules which goes against all notions of so-called 'sporting integrity'.

One rule in football I would change is that no player should miss a Cup Final due to suspension. Any suspension for either a red card in the SF, or a totting up of Yellows, should be carried forward to the next season/games.

I think it is grossly unfair for a player to miss a World Cup Final, or even a domestic cup final, due to suspension. Most players may play all their career without the chance of playing in a cup final, and therefore shouldnt be denied a cup final place, that they will remember for the rest of their life long after they have retired. Also, from the fans/spectators POV they have paid out a lot of money for tickets to a cup final (or tv subscription for armchair viewers), and should not be denied the spectacle of the two teams being at full strength and putting on a show.

Yes, you can argue the what ifs surrounding last man tackles in the last minute of the SF etc and those players dont deserve to be in the final, which of course has some merit, but my argument I believe is stronger that the players deserve the chance to play, the clubs deserve the chance to be at full strength, and the fans deserve to see the best players those two teams have to offer. By all means double the suspension instead, but have a moritorium for the final.