Big Players Step Up

disagree. Clark's powderpuff so is Templeton...punt

I'd keep Zaliukas and Foster who's assists got us through the pay offs so far.

Miller has a year to run in his contract

Probably agree with the rest you say although Sheils has not shown a lot

Promotion is not the slightest bit praiseworthy when our budget is 10 times that of our nearest opponents, ...

So let's forget about the last 10odd titles too, as our budget was 10 times that of our other challengers bar one, which actually makes it not really a greater challenge either? There IS a reason why people outside Scotland like to belittle our achievements in this respect, you know? We have seen that money "can" buy you success (at a certain level). There is no dead certain "will" involved though. If, at the end of the day, the money you spent was wrongly spent or the "more expansive" players didn't show up, the budget argument simply goes out of the window. For us, it was a amalgamation of a number of factors that led a) us having too large a budget and b) ending up with a season like this. Singling out one of the factors does not really make for a sensible debate.

Originally Posted by ian1964 View Post

I'm not waiting!. This has to be the worst Rangers team ever?

I was told by people in the know that our side of the early 80s was atrocious, winning nothing, playing rubbish football and having rubbish players. Can't tell, as I couldn't witness that with my own eyes. What I did witness was atrocious football played by mediocre footballers during the second half of our season in half in SFL 3. This season comes nowhere near that. You'd wish people - own opinion or not - would be a bit more careful or at least specific ("from those that I have seen") when throwing stuff like "ever" or indeed "greatest" about.

Edited by der Berliner

Promotion is not the slightest bit praiseworthy when our budget is 10 times that of our nearest opponents, and our players earn huge sums in comparison to their rivals. Promotion is the very minimum requirement, and the fact we finished third in a one team league and had to play three rounds of play-offs to get it is absolutely embarrassing to me as a Rangers fan. Perhaps we have different ambitions for our club?

Money doesn't guarantee you success. Like db said: does that not then belittle the titles we won previously? We have the same ambition, just perhaps differ in our appreciation of our current predicament. I think it's a bit unrealistic and arrogant to assume we should be cruising to the title--no matter how much I may wish it!

There is no redemption for a squad of mostly under-performing charlatans (and the managers who picked them) by sneaking past QotS, Hibs and Motherwell, all teams that bear no comparison to us. HIbs should be a big club but are on their arse just now, a little like us but without the fan base.

Again, I feel you are a wee bit unrealistic in your expectations. They have most certainly under-performed, but I still feel they deserve credit for getting promotion--if in fact we do get promotion! They are not the class of player we had previously. They are average SPL players at best, yet you expect the same level as before.

It is only in the last couple of games that Miller has finally contributed with an important goal or two, WTF was he up to for nine months previously? A wage thief if ever I seen one.

I agree. But surely he deserves credit for it his good performances, just like he deserves criticism for the bad?

The time for big players to step up and play was midway through the season when they got the first manager sacked, not when they just about got their third manager sacked. There is no redemption for the failures this season, they have proven they are not up to the task at a lower level, they most certianly are not up to it going forward. I would keep all the under 21's who have came in and out the team as they have a chance to improve, and I would keep Bell (as second choice), McGregor (POTY), Wallace (captain), Shiels, Templeton (there is talent there somewhere), Clark and get rid of the rest, especially McCulloch, Zaliukas, Foster, Smith, Simonsen, Robinson, Black, Law, Mohsni, Daly, Boyd, Miller, Hutton, and no doubt a few others I have (thankfully) forgotten about. All of this list have failed, some more than others granted, and some have not shown enough desire, fight, talent to wear the shirt.

I agree. Our opinions of individual players are subjective, so it's difficult to be objective. I would actually keep most of them, except Daly, Simonsen and Hutton. Now, that doesn't mean I want them to be in the starting 11 next year, because I don't, but I believe it's unrealistic to assume we can completely replace them all. They'd be decent squad players. There could be a hint of a decent foundation there, if we can just improve the team with some new/better players. I think the main issue has been poor management; sort of the management and I think you'd see a completely different set of players. Most have the potential to be better with a better manager, and a smattering of new/better players to improve the squad.

No matter what transpires over the next two games, and I expect to get through with something to spare, these play-off backs to the wall performances against utter dross cannot, and will not, be allowed to paper over what has been an absolutely awful season of football from our club.

Is that not paradoxical that you see them as abject failures, not worthy to wear the jersey and with no redeeming quality, but you still expect them to walk through the play-off against teams that have battered us in the past? It has been an awful season, but I think your expectations are 5 years out of date.

Edited by Rousseau

So let's forget about the last 10odd titles too, as our budget was 10 times that of our other challengers bar one, which actually makes it not really a greater challenge either? There IS a reason why people outside Scotland like to belittle our achievements in this respect, you know? We have seen that money "can" buy you success (at a certain level). There is no dead certain "will" involved though. If, at the end of the day, the money you spent was wrongly spent or the "more expansive" players didn't show up, the budget argument simply goes out of the window. For us, it was a amalgamation of a number of factors that led a) us having too large a budget and b) ending up with a season like this. Singling out one of the factors does not really make for a sensible debate.

The titles we have won have been with our main rivals in the league. Most leagues in Europe have a two horse race most years, although most top leagues will have a variable two teams at times. Last years La Liga where 3 teams could win it going into the final couple of games was the exception rather than the rule. Your comparison is futile. You know exactly the point I am making so either argue against it or leave it, dont be so stupid as to try to argue it with a completely irrelevant point. That is beneath you DB.