Big Players Step Up

Don't disagree but we also have to be mindful we wont be able to get rid of absolutely everyone, even if we wished to see it happen.

Anyone thinking that we done need root and branch change in playing personnel hasn't really been watching us the past couple of years. Other than the young lads (give them time under new coaching to see if they can develop) I wouldn't be opposed to ditching them all, Wallace and Bell included. Start afresh.

I know the clearing out is unlikely and there will undoubtedly be players we need to keep to ensure we have a sufficient squad - but I would be hoping to see almost a full new team of starters next season. The current crop weren't good enough to finish even 2nd in the country's 2nd tier, I doubt the same group of players will prove to be anything better than mid-table in the top flight, and that may well be optimistic.

Personally I think we need to take a longer term view of this. I don't think Celtic are that great but I also don't think we should be anticipating challenging them next season given how poor we are. We should be systematically looking at each position and determining our relative strength in each position, then prioritizing perhaps 5 positions for next season to strengthen and then another 5 the following season.

This process somewhat reminds me of when Souness came in. He saw how weak the team was and the first thing he did was strengthen the spine of the team, right through the centre of the pitch. I would do the same - we can use guys like Walsh & Templeton on the flanks until such time as we have better alternatives. Have a strong spine so as to not be weak, losing less games. Following year strengthen the remainder so as to challenge.

I'm not saying we cant challenge Celtic next year, we absolutely can. But We also need to temper expectations. They also are likely to be spending too when we get back into the top flight.

I would keep Kelly, Wallace, McGregor, Gasparotto, Murdoch, McKay, Hardie and Gallagher. The rest of our first team squad can go. I don't see any point in keeping really poor players like Foster when we could easily sign much better for peanuts.

Why should we keep all these players who have let us down? To hold on to what? They're failures.

PS - I agree with what you are saying there, though Templeton is a waste of space and very rarely shows up. I also am not overly concerned with next season, my concern is the seasons beyond that. Though that's not say that simple aiming for a 'top 6' finish would be acceptable. We should be easily finishing second next season and also planning for the future.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

That's exactly what I said: they are decent squad players; I'm not suggesting they are starters! I just don't expect this rebuild to happen, or at least not in the manner we would all like. We have a basic squad, it needs improving, but that does not imply that we should be releasing everyone. IMO.

Everyone who is out of contract goes.

We sign 10/11 first team quality starters.

Those left make up the squad.

The rest changed next summer.

Bear in mind we won't have Europe to contend with, we can concentrate fully on the title.

Everyone who is out of contract goes.

That would mean we'll defo have ...

Bell - Zaliukas, Wallace - Law, Murdoch, Aird, Crawford, Templeton, McKay, Gallagher, Shiels - Clark

... i.e. 13 players, of whom 3 are sure not certain starters and McKay and Templeton on the periphery. Plus a handful of u20s like Hardie or Kelly.

We'll have to wait whether McGregor's and Miller's auto-extention have activated officially, and whether Gasparotto has actually signed a new deal.

Edited by der Berliner