Big Players Step Up

I'm not waiting!. This has to be the worst Rangers team ever?

Trying to judge/call the 'worst Rangers team ever' is a very difficult one mate. Our fans have been saying stuff like that ever since we landed in the bottom tier of Scottish football with numpties up front like Fran Sandaza & Kevin Kyle. I'd take Boyd & Miller over Sandaza and Kyle any day of the week even although Boyd & Miller haven't had a good season for us.

Big players step up? If Miller and co had stepped up this season we wouldn't have finished in third place. Miller finished the season with 7 goals. Pathetic.

Yet all three managers this season continued to select him. Incredible

All 3 managers have continued to pick players like Miller and Jig who have completely failed us. I don't know what they see of these guys in training, but we as fans can only see the match day performances and for those 2 in particular, with guys like Black, Law, Boyd, Mohsni, in the same boat (some have played less, granted) it is quite remarkable that three managers have seen it differently from the vast majority of the paying punters.

This has been the main reason we could not surpass an average Hearts side, and even managed to acquire less points than a dreadful Hibs side, while along the way pick up embarrassing defeats to the likes of QOTS, Alloa, Raith etc.

One or two honourable performances from Miller, Foster etc when the damage has been long done won't paper over the chasm of their failures over the season.

A total clearout of all these failures is required by our new manager, who I hope is appointed within a week of our final game next Sunday, as there is a helluva lot of work to do before it starts again at the end of July.

Perhaps they had no choice? Ridiculous clauses in even more stupid contracts??

Nothing would surprise me anymore, especially if Ally was involved.

Edited by TheWee BlueDevil

Big players step up? If Miller and co had stepped up this season we wouldn't have finished in third place. Miller finished the season with 7 goals. Pathetic.

All 3 managers have continued to pick players like Miller and Jig who have completely failed us. I don't know what they see of these guys in training, but we as fans can only see the match day performances and for those 2 in particular, with guys like Black, Law, Boyd, Mohsni, in the same boat (some have played less, granted) it is quite remarkable that three managers have seen it differently from the vast majority of the paying punters.

This has been the main reason we could not surpass an average Hearts side, and even managed to acquire less points than a dreadful Hibs side, while along the way pick up embarrassing defeats to the likes of QOTS, Alloa, Raith etc.

One or two honourable performances from Miller, Foster etc when the damage has been long done won't paper over the chasm of their failures over the season.

A total clearout of all these failures is required by our new manager, who I hope is appointed within a week of our final game next Sunday, as there is a helluva lot of work to do before it starts again at the end of July.

I'm pretty sure that Miller and Clark will be our forwards on Thu. and possibly Boyd will be a substitute.

I wonder how many of the sold-out stadium will agree with your argument as we wait to demolish Motherwell.

Sold out, eh?

Next season will probably be different, but for now - I'll take them, gladly !!!

I agree--and I've been more critical of Miller than most! My point was that his performances since McCall took charge have been average, but he has come up with very important goals during the big games against Hearts (twice) and Hibs (twice). It does not imply for a minute that I want him as our main striker; although I would keep him around.

I think the management has a lot to answer for. These players obviously have some redeeming qualities, otherwise they wouldn't play. And I believe that; these guys have some good attributes, and many bad. I think there has been an upturn in performance since McCall took charge, which highlights the difference a 'better' manager makes. I'd keep many for a potential Premiership season, albeit not as starters but squad players. A total clearout is unrealistic IMO. We have OK players that can do a job. I think with some intelligent acquisitions etc., we can make it work. I dislike this 'black-and-white' attitude: they're either legends or abject failures. They've let us down a lot, and they should be criticised, but they should also be praised when they do us proud; surely promotion is praiseworthy?

They're only embarrassing defeats relatively speaking. We don't have a squad of internationals like 5 years ago. We have a squad of average SPL players, who have failed to hit their peaks on numerous occasions this year. We expect better, but I think your judgment is quite harsh considering our situation. Who would have thought we'd be in with a chance of getting promoted--by beating the play-off sides--never mind actually getting a play-off spot, which did look shaky for a spell. This season has undoubtedly been a failure, but if we get up surely there is a hint of redemption there?

I agree the damage has been done, but we still have to do it when it matters. Surely the players deserve a little credit if we get promotion? My point was that Miller has popped up with important goals at the end of the season, when it really mattered. I've criticised him as much as the next fan, but I recognise his influence over the last month or so. Of course he should have stepped up at the start of the season, but I'm ready to praise that he has stepped up at all.

I think the management has a lot to answer for. These players obviously have some redeeming qualities, otherwise they wouldn't play. And I believe that; these guys have some good attributes, and many bad. I think there has been an upturn in performance since McCall took charge, which highlights the difference a 'better' manager makes. I'd keep many for a potential Premiership season, albeit not as starters but squad players. A total clearout is unrealistic IMO. We have OK players that can do a job. I think with some intelligent acquisitions etc., we can make it work. I dislike this 'black-and-white' attitude: they're either legends or abject failures. They've let us down a lot, and they should be criticised, but they should also be praised when they do us proud; surely promotion is praiseworthy?

They're only embarrassing defeats relatively speaking. We don't have a squad of internationals like 5 years ago. We have a squad of average SPL players, who have failed to hit their peaks on numerous occasions this year. We expect better, but I think your judgment is quite harsh considering our situation. Who would have thought we'd be in with a chance of getting promoted--by beating the play-off sides--never mind actually getting a play-off spot, which did look shaky for a spell. This season has undoubtedly been a failure, but if we get up surely there is a hint of redemption there?

I agree the damage has been done, but we still have to do it when it matters. Surely the players deserve a little credit if we get promotion? My point was that Miller has popped up with important goals at the end of the season, when it really mattered. I've criticised him as much as the next fan, but I recognise his influence over the last month or so. Of course he should have stepped up at the start of the season, but I'm ready to praise that he has stepped up at all.

Promotion is not the slightest bit praiseworthy when our budget is 10 times that of our nearest opponents, and our players earn huge sums in comparison to their rivals. Promotion is the very minimum requirement, and the fact we finished third in a one team league and had to play three rounds of play-offs to get it is absolutely embarrassing to me as a Rangers fan. Perhaps we have different ambitions for our club?

There is no redemption for a squad of mostly under-performing charlatans (and the managers who picked them) by sneaking past QotS, Hibs and Motherwell, all teams that bear no comparison to us. HIbs should be a big club but are on their arse just now, a little like us but without the fan base.

It is only in the last couple of games that Miller has finally contributed with an important goal or two, WTF was he up to for nine months previously? A wage thief if ever I seen one.

The time for big players to step up and play was midway through the season when they got the first manager sacked, not when they just about got their third manager sacked. There is no redemption for the failures this season, they have proven they are not up to the task at a lower level, they most certianly are not up to it going forward. I would keep all the under 21's who have came in and out the team as they have a chance to improve, and I would keep Bell (as second choice), McGregor (POTY), Wallace (captain), Shiels, Templeton (there is talent there somewhere), Clark and get rid of the rest, especially McCulloch, Zaliukas, Foster, Smith, Simonsen, Robinson, Black, Law, Mohsni, Daly, Boyd, Miller, Hutton, and no doubt a few others I have (thankfully) forgotten about. All of this list have failed, some more than others granted, and some have not shown enough desire, fight, talent to wear the shirt.

No matter what transpires over the next two games, and I expect to get through with something to spare, these play-off backs to the wall performances against utter dross cannot, and will not, be allowed to paper over what has been an absolutely awful season of football from our club.