Gazza: IRA threatened to kill me

The Waterford News & Star* (i.e.: an irish paper) has this article today. I wonder when this news will be taken up by Scottish journos. I reckon 2057 ...

Gazza: IRA threatened to kill me

Friday, June 12, 2015

By William O'Toole

Paul Gascoigne has said that he received death threats in the aftermath of the 1998 Old Firm Derby between Rangers and Celtic after he mimicked a flute player in an Orange Order band.

The troubled former footballer got into hot water when he impersonated a flautist playing 'The Sash' in 1998 while playing for Rangers against Celtic. The Scottish FA fined him £40,000 after the incident.

paulGascoigneRangersFlute_large.jpg

However, in an interview with the BBC's Stephen Nolan, Gascoigne revealed that the IRA threatened to kill him after the incident.

"The Celtic fans were harassing us and so I did The Sash thing... and then I got the letter from the IRA threatening to kill us."

Gazza admitted that at the time he didn't realize how serious the incident was and didn't realise that it would cause offense.

Gascoigne then received a letter claiming to be from paramilitaries and only then did he realise how serious it was.

The letter read : "Hi Gazza, I've seen what you done... if you do that again I'll kill you'."

Members of the CIA later told Gascoigne that the threats made against him were genuine.

"The CIA men came back and said he is IRA, he's gonna kill you Paul," said the former footballer.

"They showed us how to look under my cars for bombs and the copper says be careful with the mail you open because it could explode."

Gascoigne was speaking to Nolan on a promotional tour for a documentary about his life called 'Gascoigne'.

The Geordie also revealed that, at the moment, he is winning his battle with alcohol.

"I'm feeling good, as long as I stay like this but, no, things have been good over the last few months, to be fair."

http://www.waterford-news.ie/2015/06/12/gazza-ira-threatened-to-kill-me/

*Also in the Irish Independent, Examiner and Evening Echo.

Edited by der Berliner

This isn't 'news' he talked about it in the excellent Hunter Davis biography on him a few years ago. I remember when Lennon was being threatened by 'terrorists' how little was made of the Gascoigne incident.

He was also arrested for rape when he played for us, something else I don't remember being reported. He was cleared and it was apparently all nonsense but I was surprised it wasn't reported.

To be honest I liked Gazza as a footballer. As a person I think he is an arshole.

I like James Galway as a flautist. As a "newly" recognised commentator on Irish history I think he is a Grade A fuckwit.

But hey, what would I know, having lived in NI through the "troubles"?

When I say "troubles" I mean the relentless, sectarian, murderous, campaign waged by Irish republican coward terrorists against British citizens in the UK (in particular Northern Ireland, yes it's still British!!) and beyond.

Edited by TheWee BlueDevil