Mining the signings (from FF)

A good article I agree with from FF;

In the fifteen years of FF.com the main drivers for traffic are -

1/ Signing new players

2/ Big Champions League nights

3/ Games versus Celtic

The club needs a fresh approach to covering signings - and indeed its whole output via the various media options it had. But let’s stay with what it can control rather than getting into arguing about the Scottish media: the club website needs a change of culture. Under the various regimes of Murray, Bain, Green, Easdale, etc the tone of output was restrained and bog standard because that was the culture imposed. The natural enthusiasm and mischievousness of the likes of Andrew Dickson was strictly limited. Rab Boyle’s pre-match picture stories are great but again could be a bit more rock n roll. We need to allow the talent to run free.

The club needs to drive season ticket sales, promote a positive feeling and generate a crusading atmosphere that will take us back to the top flight.

Fans have an insatiable thirst for information about the club - so let’s give them as much as we can. Not just the standard pictures holding a scarf aloft and not just one ‘welcome to Ibrox’ chat on Rangers TV. Let’s spread the news by getting different interviews in depth with each new player - get him, get his former colleagues, fans of clubs he has played for, even journalists who covered his career at this old clubs - and let the fans get to know the players rather than having an invisible velvet cord separating fans from players.

We’ve got a new regime at the club - let’s also have a new culture in coverage that the club produces: honest, in-depth, cutting edge.

We’ve got the people in place to do it if they are let off the leash.

http://www.followfollow.com/news/tmnw/mining_the_signings_864482/index.shtml

I don't really know if I am waiting for that. I find that even one press conference is the same questions asked time and again. I would certainly like a more up to date Rangers site but reading the same things time and again from different people is not my thing. More up to date with news would be a start for me as what is our 3rd shirt. Why can we read things in the Record before they are on the club website. I realise they can't release all info but there could be a hell of a lot more released.

It's an interesting piece, however working with players can be very hit and miss. Most are at best reluctant and some downright hostile to media interviews, even to the club's own internal media that can almost be guaranteed to portray them in the best light.

It's part of the job and players are contractually obliged to do it but it can be like getting blood from a stone at times. Most players aren't charismatic, they aren't great raconteurs or very self aware. Many are very self centred (it's professional sport, it's a highly competitive and brutal industry, that's not always a bad trait), many are poorly educated, young and have been indulged from an early age because of their natural talent.

In recent history a fairly high profile international player, one the club paid a reasonable transfer fee for and who is/was a boyhood supporter of the club actually sneaked out of a fire escape at Murray Park whilst the in-house media were setting up to interview him leaving them bewildered and pissed off and leaving a gap in their broadcast schedules. This isn't an isolated incident, management and agents will defend this type of behaviour because they too see it as an inconvenience rather than an integral part of the job.

I get where the person at FF is coming from but you have to factor in that these people are fitba players and work from there. The club website could better and it's output could be better but that takes resources and money, something that wasn't made available in recent times.

It was exactly the same with the Rangers news , after years of buying it every week I just stopped because you could predict what was going to be in it , surely we can be a bit more imaginative and give these guys a bit of freedom , its far too controlled , there is nothing wrong in a bit of constructive criticism where needed

I think that's fair comment John,

While I agree setting up interviews takes investment and that some players may not fancy the extra duties, getting players along to RSC events and/or interacting with fans in other ways isn't perhaps as much a drain on resources.

We always read about existing and former players working the executive suites before matches. Why not get them along to the local pubs, schools and in the stands to remove any perceived barriers?

I think that's fair comment John,

While I agree setting up interviews takes investment and that some players may not fancy the extra duties, getting players along to RSC events and/or interacting with fans in other ways isn't perhaps as much a drain on resources.

We always read about existing and former players working the executive suites before matches. Why not get them along to the local pubs, schools and in the stands to remove any perceived barriers?

I'm sounding very negative about this and I don't mean to be. I'm all for trying that and anything that builds bridges between players and supporters is ultimately in the player's interest. It's a cultural thing though so it can be addressed. Our recent American players dealt with the media in a professional way. Some of them had been bitten by the media on a personal and professional level but they understood that it's part of the 'job' and so made themselves available, turned up on time and stayed until it was over. It sounds basic but it's unusual.

For a variety of reasons players don't want to give up their 'free time' and convincing them it's in their interests or job description is difficult. The ex-players thing is interesting, for some it's a way to make a living or supplement it at least and for others it's a way to stay involved with the sport. I wonder if the next generation of ex-players who made so much money playing they don't need to supplement their income will be as interested in doing it.

With Warburton's background not being in professional football and with Weir having come through the American college system it'll be interesting to see if they view this differently to previous managers.

I can't remember any player except Danny Blanchflower or manager except Brian Clough, Joe Mercer and Bill Shankly say anything memorable or even interesting.

Pre/post match interviews and analyses press conferences - turgid.