Dont expect the full squad to be in place just the key positions.

Don't think we have improved the squad so far. Wilson and keirnan might play the ball from the back better but i don't think they will help us concede any less. Wabara don't rate, will get up the park hopefully his final ball will be an improvement but not so sure about that. Eustace will make the centre of midfield stronger in defence than black did but only if he can play enough games. If they get in wink or thompson to play when he is unfit that could work well. Other than that we still for me will be too weak at the back especially at set pieces and still have the same problems in midfield and up front. Nobody with any courage who wants the ball moving forward and nobody who can get fans excited.

If we add eustace and wabara to the three already signed for me the five players make a very limited difference to quality of the starting 11. still need 5 more signings to play in the starting 11 to improve things. Winks or thompson could make a difference both look for the ball and show the kind of bravery in possession we have been sorely missing. They need players around them who will run into space and play wide and in front of the ball.

Its not just the transfer fees in England its the wages. For £6-8k a week I think you can attract a better calibre player from say holland, france , germany etc than you will get for the same money in England. Don't agree the players in the lower leagues in England where we are shopping and at the price we are buying at are better than those in scotland ,both sets for me are not good enough. Obviously there is always the odd bargain who can play at the level needed but for the majority to be purchased from that market leaves me concerned.

Hopefully as you say the best is yet to come.

I agree that you don't get much value for money in England and that I want to see us signing decent continental players. I also consider the English setup to be hugely overrated, with a lot of mediocrity and poor teams outwith the elite. However, we have been mainly looking at regular Championship and upper League 1 players. That level is miles ahead of the SPL. You only have to look at the level of players going between clubs in Scotland and England. Aberdeen are the strongest SPL side after Celtic, and wealthiest I would imagine too, and last season they signed Scott Brown from Cheltenham (now a 5th tier team), Ash Taylor from Tranmere (also now a 5th tier team) and Goodwillie who failed miserably in England. They sold Scott Vernon to a Shrewsbury Town (they just got promoted from the 4th tier) and Calvin Zola to Stevenage (4th tier). Then you have teams below Aberdeen who are signing players of an even lower caliber than that. I would say the SPL is more like the National League. Very rarely can they afford to buy anyone, they are just signing the players nobody wants from the very bottom leagues. Killie were offering their high earners £800 per week to stay.

I agree that you don't get much value for money in England and that I want to see us signing decent continental players. I also consider the English setup to be hugely overrated, with a lot of mediocrity and poor teams outwith the elite. However, we have been mainly looking at regular Championship and upper League 1 players. That level is miles ahead of the SPL. You only have to look at the level of players going between clubs in Scotland and England. Aberdeen are the strongest SPL side after Celtic, and wealthiest I would imagine too, and last season they signed Scott Brown from Cheltenham (now a 5th tier team), Ash Taylor from Tranmere (also now a 5th tier team) and Goodwillie who failed miserably in England. They sold Scott Vernon to a Shrewsbury Town (they just got promoted from the 4th tier) and Calvin Zola to Stevenage (4th tier). Then you have teams below Aberdeen who are signing players of an even lower caliber than that. I would say the SPL is more like the National League. Very rarely can they afford to buy anyone, they are just signing the players nobody wants from the very bottom leagues. Killie were offering their high earners £800 per week to stay.

You could be right but are we not meant to be signing players that can challenge for the top title? Just like Aberdeen the level of the market we are shopping in will never be good enough to challenge. You can also switch it and say players like Adam and mccormick who aren't good enough for rangers are stars worth over £10m to lower level English teams

Honestly think the squad so far will struggle to win the championship and will not be sufficient to entertain 50000.

I think SBS is right in stating the calibre of player in the Premiership is the equivelent of League 2/National League in England. That calibre of player is adequate to challenge for top 3 in the Premiership. Just look at Inverness: their squad is almost entirely made up of League 2 players and they've apparently been a 'revelation'. It would be logical therefore to suggest that acquiring players from the Championship would be good enough to challenge C*****. We have been or are looking at signing players from that level (Kiernan, Eusace, Foderingham, Dallas, Wabarra etc.), so I think it's entirely possible that we are "signing players that can challenge for the top title."

I also think the management team is being overlooked. I believe a decent manager can get a group of average players playing exciting, winning football; especially in Scotland. Our current squad under-performed spectacularly, but I think it's fair to say that they are better than what they've shown. Again, a decent manager will get them playing more to their full potential. As for struggling to win the Championship, I can't see it. We were piss poor last year and still managed to just miss out on second. Hearts were far the best side, and with them gone I can see our current side challenging Hibs, not comfortably, but competitively.

It's funny, I've taken the same 'facts' as trublusince1982 and come to a completely different conclusion. I think Warburton will get us promoted and get us playing a certain way to finish second in the Premiership. I think the signings thus far and the calibre of rumoured targets suggest this is possible. I think exciting football will come regardless of any major change -- I think it's solely based on the Manager's philosophy.

Edited by Rousseau

You could be right but are we not meant to be signing players that can challenge for the top title? Just like Aberdeen the level of the market we are shopping in will never be good enough to challenge. You can also switch it and say players like Adam and mccormick who aren't good enough for rangers are stars worth over £10m to lower level English teams

Honestly think the squad so far will struggle to win the championship and will not be sufficient to entertain 50000.

Adam and McCormack were and are more than good enough for us, look more at the managers in charge at the time than any failings on the players part.

King has said a few times he wants a team this year already that will hit the ground running in the SPL so I don't understand the mind thought that we will be buying players for only the championship.

King has said a few times he wants a team this year already that will hit the ground running in the SPL so I don't understand the mind thought that we will be buying players for only the championship.

wishful thinking!:D

Adam and McCormack were and are more than good enough for us, look more at the managers in charge at the time than any failings on the players part.

Take it you didn't sit and watch Adam give away possession over and over. He was horrendous it didn't have anything to do with the manager.

King has said a few times he wants a team this year already that will hit the gthedning in the SPL so I don't understand the mind thought that we will be buying players for only the championship.

The mindset comes from the signings so far and the expected signings of eustace and wabara. Think the Burnley friendly will open a few eyes to the standard we are bringing in so far.

Adam is a highlight reel player - watch him on match of the day and you wonder why top teams dont want to sign him... watch the full 90 mins then you understand why.

Still think he was good enough for us but he is not even close to being as good as some people hold him up to be.

McCormack was a good player and would have been good enough for us but was never give 1. time and 2. a run of games. Although I always thought he was really lightweight for the Scottish leagues but that could just have been down to his age when he was with us...

Take it you didn't sit and watch Adam give away possession over and over. He was horrendous it didn't have anything to do with the manager.

So what explains him having two excellent seasons with Blackpool and another couple of very good ones with Stoke? Are you suggesting it was down to his lack of ability? Poor coaching and being played out of position can make anyone look bad. Not to mention you have to bear in mind who he was playing with as well.