I don't think we should yield to any Rangers hater but neither do I think we should give them undue attention.

Like I say there's a fine line between dealing with lies (which our club apparently can't or won't do) and creating exactly the kind of self-fulfilling attention these people are after.

The problem with someone like Phil is that he's clever enough to err on the side of caution so that a) the polis aren't interested in a 'foreign' blog and b) the club can't take legal action.

I'd rather just laugh at him and ignore folk like Bill. They're discredited and should be irrelevant.

'Should be', yes - but in reality Ill Phil has appeared in the MSM, he's influenced and been in papers, he talks with university lecturers, he influences and appears on national radio, he has a network of supporters in UK papers. He does us endless harm - there seems to be a move in this thread towards "ignore him and he'll go away, he's harmless" He won't go away unless he is made to and he has been the opposite of harmless. As for McTurdo the traitor - well, if you have poison in your bloodstream, ignoring it does not bring about recovery.

Edited by SteveC

'Should be', yes - but in reality Ill Phil has appeared in the MSM, he's influenced and been in papers, he talks with university lecturers, he influences and appears on national radio, he has a network of supporters in UK papers. He does us endless harm - there seems to be a move in this thread towards "ignore him and he'll go away, he's harmless" He won't go away unless he is made to and he has been the opposite of harmless. As for McTurdo the traitor - well, if you have poison in your bloodstream, ignoring it does not bring about recovery.

Honestly, if I didn't hear about Phil's activities from bears, I wouldn't know about them. Yes, he gets a bit of mainstream publicity now and again but it's easily dismissed by any sensible observer. The rest you won't change their mind anyway.

I'm not saying he's harmless or that we should ignore him all of the time - just that, occasionally and for the most part, we are the ones increasing his notoriety by highlighting and discussing his nonsense.

The same goes for Bill McMurdo. He has absolutely nothing to offer - his writing is poor, his fan group only has a few dozen interested people and he has absolutely no inside info on the club other than the obvious spin he's paid to release.

You only put a fire out by starving it of oxygen. Instead, with these two of late, we're the ones chucking in fuel.

Honestly, if I didn't hear about Phil's activities from bears, I wouldn't know about them. Yes, he gets a bit of mainstream publicity now and again but it's easily dismissed by any sensible observer. The rest you won't change their mind anyway.

I'm not saying he's harmless or that we should ignore him all of the time - just that, occasionally and for the most part, we are the ones increasing his notoriety by highlighting and discussing his nonsense.

The same goes for Bill McMurdo. He has absolutely nothing to offer - his writing is poor, his fan group only has a few dozen interested people and he has absolutely no inside info on the club other than the obvious spin he's paid to release.

You only put a fire out by starving it of oxygen. Instead, with these two of late, we're the ones chucking in fuel.

To our enemies & detractors who were trying to shut us down for good in 2012 the likes of McGillivan were invaluable.

That's so true. I don't think I would even know who he was were it not for endless topics on Rangers forums about him.

You are not dealing with a normal fantasist here. Regarding his completely made-up story about King offering his shares to Ashley.

If both King and Ashley came out and said it was a lie and that there was absolutely nothing in it, Ill Phil (and his followers) would come out and say of course they are going to deny it in public etc etc and reiterate their story, having had the oxygen of a retort to fan the flames of their infatuated madness.

A watching brief from the club, waiting for him to make a libellous mistake and then jumping in, and all Rangers forums agreeing to not discuss or publish anything he says would be the best way to deal with him.

You are not dealing with a normal fantasist here. Regarding his completely made-up story about King offering his shares to Ashley.

If both King and Ashley came out and said it was a lie and that there was absolutely nothing in it, Ill Phil (and his followers) would come out and say of course they are going to deny it in public etc etc and reiterate their story, having had the oxygen of a retort to fan the flames of their infatuated madness.

A watching brief from the club, waiting for him to make a libellous mistake and then jumping in, and all Rangers forums agreeing to not discuss or publish anything he says would be the best way to deal with him.

Ashley's not going to deny it - his PR people are paying the fantasist. Rangers probably can't say anything due to the gagging order.

These clowns mad Phil and Merlin should just be left alone to play with themselves. They're egocentric, narcissistic and self-fellating weirdos whose blogs are about as important as wee lassies posting irrelevant pish every day on twitter.

To our enemies & detractors who were trying to shut us down for good in 2012 the likes of McGillivan were invaluable.

They were/are just one very small cog in a much longer chain of events.

Of course Phil and the RTC blogger think they brought down Rangers. But, actually, it was the banking crisis of 2007 onwards, the tax scheme hubris of SDM and the lack of SFA club ownership fail-safes that really caused the club's near demise.

Not to mention the inability of Rangers supporters and their club to work together to tackle the various problems we did (and still) have. A lesson some are still clearly unwilling to learn from now.