Gers To Train At Spurs

The fact is unless we are making money or bringing through players we can get a decent contribution out of, our youth system is failing. We might produce plenty players that end up at other Scottish teams, that might benefit the Scottish game to a degree, it doesn't benefit us whatsoever. For arguments sake it would be interesting to see all of these players we have brought through that play in top leagues. I can't think of many aside from Adam. Adam is probably one of our biggest success stories and we got a paltry fee for him that didn't even begin to cover his development costs and wages.

Clubs like Ajax shouldn't be muttered in the same breath as us. We are operating in a different universe where it's a miracle of we produce a player that we make money out of or regularly play.

Not when those same players are later bought and sold for large fees. That's the fault of those setting the fees. We have had 3 players sold for over £8m each in their careers. A couple in double figures. That's just off the top of my head

Not when those same players are later bought and sold for large fees. That's the fault of those setting the fees. We have had 3 players sold for over £8m each in their careers. A couple in double figures. That's just off the top of my head

We sold Hutton and Ferguson for large sums, that's it. Blackpool seemed to do more for Adam than we ever did.

We sold Hutton and Ferguson for large sums, that's it. Blackpool seemed to do more for Adam than we ever did.

You can spin it any you like. We sold Wilson for about 5m - but unfortunately, didn't receive the whole sum as we obviously did a lot more for him than Liverpool ever did.

We also must have done more for the likes of Boumsong and Cuellar than their previous or subsequent clubs.

I agreed with Pete when he said:

I think you are both arguing the same point with different criteria. You are looking at success for Rangers and TB is taking the point of view to bring a player through to the professional ranks is a success. You are both correct depending on how you are looking at it.

To me, both arguments are based on the following premises: TB is suggesting success is when a player makes an appearance; SBS is suggesting success is if a player plays regularly and/or leaves for a significant sum.

The conclusion is: TB is therefore suggesting that we have a more successful Academy because we have developed more players that have made an appearance; SBS is suggest therefore that Ajax have a better academy because they have more players playing regularly and/or have left for significant sums.

Pete states that:

The international way judging performance is how many players are playing prof in Europe so TB is correct on that one.

That would mean that TB is right in suggesting it's the number of players to make an appearance that implies success. I don't agree with the conclusion though. Surely there are more professional players currently playing in Europe that have had Ajax links rather than Rangers links?

I think there is a caveat in how Ajax have bought older players without technically developing them, but to me that still counts as a 'success' because they are still bringing a young player through to play regularly for the first-team and/or sell them for a significant fee. So TB is correct in suggesting we do have quite a few young players making it professionally, but they are not playing regularly for us or getting us a big transfer fee, so I don't think that can be considered a success. I suppose I prefer SBS's premise, and therefore his conclusion: Ajax has a better Academy.

Have I covered everything correctly, or have I misunderstood?

You can spin it any you like. We sold Wilson for about 5m - but unfortunately, didn't receive the whole sum as we obviously did a lot more for him than Liverpool ever did.

We also must have done more for the likes of Boumsong and Cuellar than their previous or subsequent clubs.

I'm not spinning anything, I leave that to you. We received £2m up front for Wilson. Why do you say that about Boumsong and Cuellar?

I agreed with Pete when he said:

To me, both arguments are based on the following premises: TB is suggesting success is when a player makes an appearance; SBS is suggesting success is if a player plays regularly and/or leaves for a significant sum.

The conclusion is: TB is therefore suggesting that we have a more successful Academy because we have developed more players that have made an appearance; SBS is suggest therefore that Ajax have a better academy because they have more players playing regularly and/or have left for significant sums.

Pete states that:

That would mean that TB is right in suggesting it's the number of players to make an appearance that implies success. I don't agree with the conclusion though. Surely there are more professional players currently playing in Europe that have had Ajax links rather than Rangers links?

I think there is a caveat in how Ajax have bought older players without technically developing them, but to me that still counts as a 'success' because they are still bringing a young player through to play regularly for the first-team and/or sell them for a significant fee. So TB is correct in suggesting we do have quite a few young players making it professionally, but they are not playing regularly for us or getting us a big transfer fee, so I don't think that can be considered a success. I suppose I prefer SBS's premise, and therefore his conclusion: Ajax has a better Academy.

Have I covered everything correctly, or have I misunderstood?

I should add that I don't really care if players come through the youth academy or are bought cheaply at a young age from smaller clubs. The fact is the ethos is to develop young players. Youth academy is ideal and can be a lot more cost effective but both work well. Ajax rarely seem to sign many players > 23 and as such they regularly get very good returns. We consistently sign ageing players and make a loss. Whether Ajax bring through someone from 8 years old or get a talented player for peanuts from a small team at 17, I don't think it makes a huge difference. A combination is ideal.

McCormick £11m

Hutton £9m

Adam £12m

Wilson £5m

Arguably McGregor at the timebif not for being traitorous b £5m+

All from on under funded academy.

As everyone is trying to say different arguments.

To argue it has under achieved in way you infer you would need to know firstly the stated goals and the budgets along with infrastructure available

Something I would love to know.

McCormick £11m

Hutton £9m

Adam £12m

Wilson £5m

Arguably McGregor at the timebif not for being traitorous b £5m+

All from on under funded academy.

As everyone is trying to say different arguments.

To argue it has under achieved in way you infer you would need to know firstly the stated goals and the budgets along with infrastructure available

Something I would love to know.

McCormack played for us from 2002-2006, playing 14 times and he was only 20 when he left. Can he even be counted as a product of our youth academy? The other three I will give you, though Wilson was just £2m up front, not sure how much we got in total.

It should be added that players continue to develop long into their careers and some players like Dado Prso peak very late. I think it's pretty clear Adam's game came on a lot after his move to England.

If you were to total up what we have made from all the players through our youth academy in the last 10-15 years, it wouldn't make great reading. Not sure if we would have ever got > £5m for McGregor by the way, he never attracted much Premiership interest and he is very unpopular at Hull.