Gers To Train At Spurs

In fairness to GS I think it is more in frustration at where we are rather than what we are doing just now.

Loanees are for small clubs to the extent of using them to reach your goal.

So yes, it is for small clubs.

The 'Big' clubs use them as a useful means to see if they 'fit in'. If they don't then no worries move on, if they don't fit with the small club they're stuck.

How are they stuck ? They just go back to their parent Club and you aren't left with a dross player on a 3 yr deal...

Strikers do lose form, Nicky Clark who proved himself in this division 2 years ago lost form playing in a dreadful team with dreadful set up.

Nicky Clark had the ball bouncing off him because of that, in saying that there were moments of magic (yes far and few between)

Bringing in a loanee with a better management team might just be the making of the man.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Nicky Clark lacks the basic technique to be a 1st choice striker at Rangers.

I think you will find that statement is totally wrong. Ajax in fact developed very few of their players most were brought in as 17,18,19 year olds that other clubs developed. You could say their scouting system is good but as I have said often their youth academy is nowhere near the best in Holland.

From their current squad have brought through Van Rhijn, Veltman, Heitinga, Bazoer, Klaassen, Kishna, Riedewald, Tete, Serero and Dijks. A lot of the other players were signed at the ages you stated and I would still class that as developing players. The key factor is what they do is focus on players of a young age, who they can develop and sell for decent profits. They exact opposite of what we usually do. Ajax don't have a great team at the moment either but they are miles ahead of any SPL team.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

Ajax used to be a feared name in Europe, now they just make up the numbers like a lot of great teams of the past.

Anderlecht, Benfica, Feyenoord, Red Star, Ferencvaros, Cologne and St Etienne come to mind too.

Benfica are still a top class Club ranked #6 in the current UEFA rankings while Ajax & Anderlecht have youth academies ranked in the world's top 10.

I think you will find that statement is totally wrong. Ajax in fact developed very few of their players most were brought in as 17,18,19 year olds that other clubs developed. You could say their scouting system is good but as I have said often their youth academy is nowhere near the best in Holland.

I'm not doubting you pete since you lived in Holland for a long time, but I am slightly struggling to understand why the Ajax academy 'is nowhere near the best in Holland' when it's widely regarded (even to this day) as one of the top 5 academies in the world.

From their current squad have brought through Van Rhijn, Veltman, Heitinga, Bazoer, Klaassen, Kishna, Riedewald, Tete, Serero and Dijks. A lot of the other players were signed at the ages you stated and I would still class that as developing players. The key factor is what they do is focus on players of a young age, who they can develop and sell for decent profits. They exact opposite of what we usually do. Ajax don't have a great team at the moment either but they are miles ahead of any SPL team.

They also spend a huge amount (by comparison to most other European Clubs) on their Academy structure. One can only hope that we a) look to spend some money on our Academy structure and b) have the right coaching staff in place to develop what we have.

I'm not doubting you pete since you lived in Holland for a long time, but I am slightly struggling to understand why the Ajax academy 'is nowhere near the best in Holland' when it's widely regarded (even to this day) as one of the top 5 academies in the world.

Who regards it as that? Mostly it is a perception from the 70's 80's. If you want a good indication then you really also have to look and see how many players they actually buy. I am not interested enough to check it all out but as I said before there were seasons when they had players watching from the stand who never pulled on a shirt for months.

Might do the numbers this weekend on how many youths have played for the first team for us in the last 3 years, its a guess right now but I think we will have more than ajax. That's not to say they are a better standard.

Standard wise we were far lower than ajax. Think we had 13 players in 2014 out with us who playedfor us from 15-18 years old who were playing in the top leagues in Europe(doesn't include English championship or any league lower than top division) .collated by cies football factory.

pretty good for the amount we spend on our academy especially when you added up their combined transfer costs. Unfortunately very little went to us.

Who regards it as that? Mostly it is a perception from the 70's 80's. If you want a good indication then you really also have to look and see how many players they actually buy. I am not interested enough to check it all out but as I said before there were seasons when they had players watching from the stand who never pulled on a shirt for months.

Just to reiterate Ajax also buy youth players in at an older age and present them as their own. Feynoord have been voted the best football academy in Holland for years in a row.