Latest BTC appeal news

found it

""It is important to reiterate that the additional sanction of a registration embargo was imposed by an independent Judicial Panel chaired by a leading QC, Gary Allan, and upheld by an Appellate Tribunal chaired by a Supreme Court Judge, Lord Carloway."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/9303601/Rangers-court-triumph-over-transfer-embargo-could-backfire.html

Glennie overturned it on appeal

Not happy that a judge previously involved should be on this appeal tribunal

same source

Now, though, anything is possible again and the Telegraph understands that the view in legal circles is that Lord Carloway has cause to incline to the view that since Rangers’ offences were towards the higher end of the scale, the punishment should be proportionate. Certainly, there is concern within the SFA that Rangers are now more likely, rather than less, to suffer sanctions which could see them effectively expelled from football.

The scale of offence is completely irrelevant in this case. It is all about tax law interpretation and principle. Doesn't matter whether or not it was 1 pound or 1 billion pounds. And even if Carloway rules against RFC the sad reality (for HMRC) is that they will be chasing a debt from a company which will ultimately be liquidated - if they win they will be small pennies on the pound.

Likewise, why the SFA would be concerned is beyond me. Caroloway can rule on the law and can levy fines on a legal entity. But that doesn't necessarily mean the Club. Not sure how the courts would expel us from football...... Seems like scare-mongering to me.

The scale of offence is completely irrelevant in this case. It is all about tax law interpretation and principle. Doesn't matter whether or not it was 1 pound or 1 billion pounds. And even if Carloway rules against RFC the sad reality (for HMRC) is that they will be chasing a debt from a company which will ultimately be liquidated - if they win they will be small pennies on the pound.

Likewise, why the SFA would be concerned is beyond me. Caroloway can rule on the law and can levy fines on a legal entity. But that doesn't necessarily mean the Club. Not sure how the courts would expel us from football...... Seems like scare-mongering to me.

That quote was from 2012, craig.

Lord Carloway is John Reid's buddy. He should not be allowed anywherenear this appeal

He's also the clown that tried to advise the Scottish government it would be a good idea to scrap the legal concept of presumption of innocence (innocent until proven guilty).

If they win then they have a precedent and can then chase the likes of Arsenal and all the other clubs that used them. That is what this is about.

Edited by pete

If they win then they have a precedent and can then chase the likes of Arsenal and all the other clubs that used them. That is what this is about.

Haven't they already settled with Arsenal?

Why were Arsenal allowed a settlement and we weren't? That's what this is all about too.

Haven't they already settled with Arsenal?

Why were Arsenal allowed a settlement and we weren't? That's what this is all about too.

Never heard that so I can't answer I am afraid. You are probably more up to date with British News though so you are probably right.