Arrests made at Hibernian v Rangers Challenge Cup match

Rangers could be in trouble with the Scottish Professional Football League due to the behaviour of some of the club's fans during their win over Hibs.

Three arrests were made after sectarian singing during Saturday's Scottish Challenge Cup tie at Easter Road Stadium.

The match delegate's report will highlight the issue as well as the use of a flare.

Rangers progressed to the second round with a 6-2 win.

Police Scotland said in a statement: "Police in Edinburgh ensured that a significant policing presence was put in place to keep the public safe during the first round of the Petrofac Training Cup between Hibernian and Rangers at Easter Road Stadium.

"Six people were arrested for various offences, of which three men aged 20, 30 and 39 were charged under the Offensive Behaviour at Football & Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012 following sectarian singing.

"Of these six arrested, a 43-year-old man was also charged for anti-social behaviour, a 17-year-old man was charged following a smoke bomb being set off in the stadium, and a 22-year-old man was charged following damage to a seat within the stadium.

"A seventh person was charged for allowing alcohol consumption on a public supporters' coach attending the match."

And Chief Inspector Bob Paris said: "The behaviour of the majority of Hibs and Rangers fans in attendance today was commendable and I'd like to thank them for that.

"It's disappointing when the reckless conduct of a few people threatens the safety, wellbeing and enjoyment of other supporters. Police Scotland will be applying to the Courts for Football Banning Orders to be placed on the individuals involved."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33665555

Heard the BB on TV, these guys don't care if the club is punished. It's not all about the Rangers to them.

While I agree with you I also look from the other side. It takes 3 days to send someone to a reported car crash where people have been injured and died but sing the billy boys and they are down on top of you

While I agree with you I also look from the other side. It takes 3 days to send someone to a reported car crash where people have been injured and died but sing the billy boys and they are down on top of you

I was referring to the 1st and 3rd sentances in the OP report.

Rangers could be in trouble with the Scottish Professional Football League due to the behaviour of some of the club's fans during their win over Hibs.

Three arrests were made after sectarian singing during Saturday's Scottish Challenge Cup tie at Easter Road Stadium.

The match delegate's report will highlight the issue as well as the use of a flare.

If it was reported that the driver had been drinking they would have been there in 30 seconds.

@BBCchrismclaug: 3 fans from #Rangers end arrested for sectarian singing during the win over Hibs. Also makes delegate's report as does use of flare.

@BBCchrismclaug: Couple of quick points re earlier tweet. Info reported was offered to me by match delegate after the game. I checked with cops before tweet.

It were our inquisitors from BBC Scotland who were at it in no-time.

Some of these dolts never learn though, but one would think that over time they will be weeded out or learn what to do. It is a sad state of affairs, but personal opinion needs to take a step back when it harms or may harm the club. What remains unacceptable is that others get away with sectarian and viler stuff ...

@BBCchrismclaug: 3 fans from #Rangers end arrested for sectarian singing during the win over Hibs. Also makes delegate's report as does use of flare.

@BBCchrismclaug: Couple of quick points re earlier tweet. Info reported was offered to me by match delegate after the game. I checked with cops before tweet.

Is it standard practice for the match delegate to brief the press on the contents of his report before it's submitted?