Rangers tell Graham Spiers & Chris McLaughlin they are "no longer welcome at Ibrox"

No journo has been banned. The two smart alecs just have to pay to get in and pay for their pie and a cup of tea at half time. Withdrawal of privilege is not a ban on reporting.

That's a fair point although it certainly makes reporting on a match at Ibrox considerably harder. I still think it's counter-productive but you are correct, they've not been 'banned' as such.

I think most people would agree with a lot of what you're saying, but there is a bit more to it.

What's being published about is us is not illegal - no slander or libel laws have been broken as far as I can see. But there is no doubt in my mind that there is a bias to their reporting - and surely it's reasonable to expect the BBC to treat all its mandatory customers even-handedly? Reports on incidents involving certain other clubs are nicely air-brushed; played down or hidden away. Reports on anything negative surrounding us however get a "warts and all" approach. To me, the story after the Hibs game just smacks of McLaughlin scrabbling for something bad to write about us to take the shine off a really good result. Am I being paranoid for thinking that?

Assuming it's not just me, how can you build a bridge with an organistaion like that? There's no cosying up to them and sadly, writing anti-rangers articles seems to be a sound strategy for any unscrupulous journalist to adopt. Whatever you lose in Rangers fans, you more than gain back in OCD haters.

I don't think the ban will stop the bias, but at least it lets the world know that we see these reporters as being biased.

Okay, it's an interesting point you make. Bias exists in the media, it always has. Newspapers have traditionally taken a left or right wing editorial stance and so their output tends to reflect this. Increasingly TV is doing this too. In the end if a columnist wants to be known as being 'anti-Rangers' or pro-Celtic or indeed pro-Rangers then that's his business. It's not likely to make me want to read or listen to him but that's his prerogative. Alan Green, the BBC Five Live main commentator, has made a career out of being snubbed by Alex Ferguson. Ferguson refused to be interviewed by him and never relented. He did this because he perceived Green as bing a Liverpool supporter and of being biased against Man Utd. I think any fair minded person who has listened to Green over the years would agree with this. As a neutral in that particular fight it doesn't bother me but I can see why some Man U fans might be pissed off.

I don't really have a major issue with someone like McLaughlin showing bias, and I believe he does, because that's his view on us and he's entitled to it. He's not the only voice at BBC Scotland though, there are others and some, in my opinion, aren't 'anti-Rangers' and their coverage of us is pretty fair I feel. This would be a bigger problem for me if I didn't have a choice of listening or reading, but I do. STV, for me, do very little right, but their Scottish football coverage is better than the BBCs, so they get my patronage.

I'll reply on the bridge building later, I've ran out of time just now.

Edited by JohnMc

Okay, it's an interesting point you make. Bias exists in the media, it always has. Newspapers have traditionally taken a left or right wing editorial stance and so their output tends to reflect this. Increasingly TV is doing this too. In the end if a columnist wants to be known as being 'anti-Rangers' or pro-Celtic or indeed pro-Rangers then that's his business. It's not likely to make me want to read or listen to him but that's his prerogative. Alan Green, the BBC Five Live main commentator, has made a career out of being snubbed by Alex Ferguson. Ferguson refused to be interviewed by him and never relented. He did this because he perceived Green as bing a Liverpool supporter and of being biased against Man Utd. I think any fair minded person who has listened to Green over the years would agree with this. As a neutral in that particular fight it doesn't bother me but I can see why some Man U fans might be pissed off.

I don't really have a major issue with someone like McLaughlin showing bias, and I believe he does, because that's his view on us and he's entitled to it. He's not the only voice at BBC Scotland though, there are others and some, in my opinion, aren't 'anti-Rangers' and their coverage of us is pretty fair I feel. This would be a bigger problem for me if I didn't have a choice of listening or reading, but I do. STV, for me, do very little right, but their Scottish football coverage is better than the BBCs, so they get my patronage.

I'll reply on the bridge building later, I've ran out of time just now.

There's a bit of a difference between someone being pro-Liverpool/anti-Man Utd and what we have been subjected to. It's gone beyond football with the whole sectarianism issue.

I don't think anyone has an issue with a pro-Celtic journalist like Ronnie Cully, for example, who could give biased match reports. It's more "sinister" (for lack of a better word) where it's not an on-field/performance related issue but they are actively trying to do harm to our club and its support.

But BBC employees are not allowed to be bias.

Well that's not really accurate. The BBC as an institution are supposed to be balanced in their output on "important" matters. If sport falls into this area is debatable but even then it doesn't matter if an individual shows bias as long as their is balance in their output. The BBC would argue that by employing sport's journalists like Richard Wilson and Kenny MacIntyre and pundits like like Stuart McCall and Billy Dodds they do show balance.

Apologies for introducing a lighthearted observation into a serious issue. At the game yesterday I spotted a very young boy who seemed so pleased to be given the chance to watch Rangers. His dad had kitted his son out in a Rangers shirt and both father and son appeared quite proud. The wee fellow turned around and printed on the back of his shirt was the name SPIERS. Perhaps, it would have been more suitable for the lad's Christian name to be used. Anyway, I hope that the presence of this SPIERS at Ibrox will be seen for many years.

Apologies for introducing a lighthearted observation into a serious issue. At the game yesterday I spotted a very young boy who seemed so pleased to be given the chance to watch Rangers. His dad had kitted his son out in a Rangers shirt and both father and son appeared quite proud. The wee fellow turned around and printed on the back of his shirt was the name SPIERS. Perhaps, it would have been more suitable for the lad's Christian name to be used. Anyway, I hope that the presence of this SPIERS at Ibrox will be seen for many years.

As long as the young lad wasn't wearing a pair of 1970's corduroys he should be OK.

Hearing that Jim Spence finished at BBC Scotland on Friday, and on Sunday has provided an interview to that very well known member of Donegal Mountain Rescue, Phil McNumerousnames.

I wonder if Chris, Graham, and principled Tom will be doing likewise?