Nathan Oduwa signs from Spurs on loan

So sign a permanent player on, say, 3k a week.... who could easily turn out to be a bust or only be good enough for our current level.

OR

Sign a young guy on loan where his parent club may be paying the full salary, for a one season stint to assist in getting us to the Premier league thus allowing us to sign a better standard of permanent player for the top league next year - saving us money in the process....

Hardie will get his chance like all the rest, I think Warburton is showing that already. But we shouldn't be hanging our hopes on our young players just because they are ours. If they are good enough, great. If they aren't then get in the quality needed regardless of whether or not they are permanent signings.

There's quite a lot of assumptions there. So I will have fun with one. Yeah but what if the 3k player turns out to be worth 10 million and the loan one 12.

I'd rather own the 10 one.

Take the risk ? Seriously ? I thought we would have moved past that. Taking the risk this season would be utter folly.

It's a small risk. Lots of teams run with 3 strikers for one position.

Loans are pointless just now and frankly almost always.

There's quite a lot of assumptions there. So I will have fun with one. Yeah but what if the 3k player turns out to be worth 10 million and the loan one 12.

I'd rather own the 10 one.

Very true, lots of assumptions. What if the loan player scores 20 this season and his final goal is the one that secures promotion whilst the one we own couldn't hit a cow in the arse with a banjo, thus ensuring we stay in the 2nd tier ?? You and I could go round in circles all day on this one GS.

It is a squad game and I would like to think that regardless of who comes in and regardless of whether it is permanent or not - Hardie will get his chance the same as the rest. My opinion is that even bringing in a loanee, especially from a top club like Spurs (cant believe I just said that as a Gunners fan) would motivate players like Hardie - any young player watching another young player come in should be additionally motivated to work hard and say "you aren't taking my spot in the squad pal".

Loanees have a place in the transfer market as many, many clubs have proven - I fail to see why we shouldn't if it adds the desired quality - especially when many of us still believe us to be short in attack.

Besides, this lad may come in and play alongside Hardie and replace Miller instead.... after last season I doubt many of us would have a problem bringing a loanee in to replace Miller.....

It's a small risk. Lots of teams run with 3 strikers for one position.

Loans are pointless just now and frankly almost always.

The bigger Clubs and world's best managers disagree with you.

I think there as some good points made by people about the good side of loan players. I'm not a a great fan but I think it depends what situation the club is in. When we were a bit more in ascendancy and trying to conquer Europe we were more the lender than the borrower.

But while we are in the second tier, not even breaking even, it makes sense to get some loans in if they are quality, as cheap, temporary squad fillers. We've already been burned on scrabbling around for decent squad players, who by the nature of our position were mercenaries, who didn't give a crap about professionalism. The problem is that when you go for freebies, it's who's available at the time - you can find a couple of gems and the rest is dumpster diving.

The great thing about loans is that you can sometimes find quality players pretty cheap, and if they don't work out, you just send them back instead of having to pay off the rest of their contract. It therefore allows us to be a lot more patient with our long term squad building, where we can be a lot more picky.

I can't see a better time than now to embrace this supplementation of the squad, as we are now in the rebuilding process many have been dreaming of over the last few years, and this is a great tool to help our management team do it properly as they build momentum.