League Cup 3rd Round: Rangers v St Johnstone - Live on BBC1 Scotland

Our weak defence is the only thing that prevents me from backing us for a clean sweep of available trophies this season.

In a cup-tie, if we have an off-day and do everything but score, we will always give up chances to the opponents so we will lose games. Which games these are will determine how many trophies we win this season.

JOHN “Bomber” Brown believes Rangers’ League Cup tie against St Johnstone will provide the team with their first real test of progress under Mark Warburton.

He thinks it will be an important marker for the new manager when the Light Blues take on the Premiership outfit in September.

After an unbeaten start to his Ibrox tenure the cup tie will be Warburton’s first fixture against a top flight side.

Brown said: “I think the fans will be happy with that based on the fact that we managed to beat them last season.

“We have a new team; probably a stronger side and I think everybody will be pretty buoyant about the draw.

“It’s another level because when you are playing against the Premiership sides and I think Mark Warburton will find out the strengths and weaknesses of his side to handle a Premiership team and he’ll learn a lot in this game about his own squad.

“I think we have been disappointing in the cups over recent years and I know it was important to get promoted every season but the fans are crying out to be coming to a stadium like Hampden for a cup final.

“I think the fans have been very loyal to the club over the years and I think they deserve a good cup run.

“The fans are rejuvenated because they see Rangers guys in the boardroom looking after the club and they can just concentrate of the football – what a difference in the place.”

Rangers beat St Johnstone en route to the semi-final of the same competition last season through an 86th minute goal from Lewis Macleod.

But after struggling in the league and what was then caretaker manager Kenny McDowall’s team were knocked out by Celtic at Hampden.

This time around though Brown is expecting a different season in both league and cup and says the new look Rangers will be able to compete on all fronts.

He continued: “I think they could have a decent chance in the cups this season, the team is free flowing and they’re creating a lot of chances and scoring a lot of goals.

“They will cause a lot of problems to teams and I think Rangers would give a good account of themselves against the vast majority of the Premiership sides.

“Celtic might still be a bit stronger in depth but it will be interesting to see if we can get through a couple of rounds and get to a semi-final or final and if it was against Celtic we would be a lot stronger by then.

“Mark has an eye for a player and he and Davie have brought in a good standard of players and it does take time to gel.

“To have that record that he’s got up to now of winning every game it is a remarkable record and with the new loan players coming in they look like they’re going to strengthen the squad.

“The good thing about it is that he has a starting 11 and they’re under pressure because he has a squad of players who are in competition for places so they need to be playing at their highest level.”

Before taking on St Johnstone in the League Cup Rangers have important business in the league, starting with a trip to Dumfries this Sunday.

Queen of the South made tricky opposition last season, defeated Gers twice in the league at Palmerston Park but Brown is more confident this time around.

He explained: “I think it will be a tough game, you are playing against a side that is undefeated in the league but it’s another game where the manger finds out a bit about his squad.

“It’s on an astroturf pitch but the way the team has been playing and passing the ball I think it will suit Rangers and I would be pretty confident to get a result down there.

“In the last couple of seasons they have been well organised and a good passing football side and Rangers will get a good test.”

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9981-saints-the-first-top-test

How good would that be if the big Irish Catholic that played for Rangers busted their last free chance of a treble. I can hear the Ronnie Roar from here as his arse hits the pavement outside the paedodome!!

Not according to this guy - the Bolton Blawbag ...

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-lennon-backs-celtic-boss-6330271#rlabs=1%20category

Neil Lennon backs Celtic boss Deila to recover from Champions League nightmare: Ronny will roar again

12:37, 27 August 2015

Updated 12:37, 27 August 2015

By Record Sport Online

THE former Hoops boss says that his successor can bounce back from this week's painful defeat and make an impact in the Europa League.

NEIL LENNON has tipped his Ronny Deila to recover from his Champions League nightmare and lead Celtic to success in the Europa League.

The Bolton boss extended sympathy to his Hoops successor after they crashed out of the elite competition at the qualifying stage for the second successive season.

Lennon failed to guide Celtic to the groups in his first season, going out to Braga, although he went on to reach the knockout stages of the competition in 2012/13.

And while he believes Deila will be hurting right now, he is sure the Norwegian will bounce back.

Ahead of tomorrow’s draw Lennon told Sky Sports: “I went through it in my first year and it is a bitter pill to swallow.

“But Ronny’s a young manager and he will get the backing of the board – there’s no question about that.

“He needs to pick the club up and I think he’ll do that.

“But it’s never easy qualifying when you’re four or five games into your season while Malmo are three quarters through theirs. The fitness gives them a slight advantage.

“Now they’ve got the Europa League and maybe they can do something in that.

“But it will take a couple of days for everyone to get over it. It will be sore for a while but they are good enough and have the players to do really well in Europe.”