Gough a Global Ambassador

as a result of the last few years every time i see something like this my first thought is " I wonder how much this is costing us"

As well as that I was thinking that this was his reward for backing the new board quite vociferously in the early months of 2015. An absolute legend as a player and an inspirational captain. If it is just a title as a reward and perhaps in recognition that as he is based in the USA there was no point in giving him a non-exec Directorship, then this probably fits quite well.

My guess is that anything he is doing to promote the club in the USA, he would have been doing anyway without the title but this might give him more clout over there to help us build into this market.

Gough is a fine candidate for such a role IMHO. 9 in a row captain, clearly loved the Club and ran through walls for us as a player and captain. I have no issues with it.

If we are talking about the US though we could be doing with more than just Gough - I would have thought the Club would perhaps reach out to Claudia Reyna too as he is a recognized quantity stateside (though the issue with Reyna may be that he had a number of clubs, not just us - and is also in the game presently with NYC FC). Yeah.... given his current role, I am scrapping the thought of Reyna :D

But these are roles we should be attempting to fill worldwide - people like Mols, Numan, Craig Moore (who has a very successful academy in Australia - in fact, we should be partnering with him for talent spotting), Canniggia, Amoruso etc etc - it doesn't matter the names I throw out, more that it matters we increase our global footprint.

And, if we increase the global footprint perhaps those "Ambassadors" can be the 1st point of contact for anyone that spots talent - they give Gough or Moore or Numan a call who then reaches out to Rangers, get approval to go and watch the player a few times, and provide feedback on them. If felt they are of good enough quality for a more detailed look RFC would send over one of their scouts (once we have scouts in place obviously....)

Anyway, I seem to be digressing, apologies.

Job for the boys I'm afraid is part of life.

Not quite. I cant see John Brown or Ian Durrant being ambassadors.

Like Craig says the term 'global' shouldn't mean global, it should be filled with respected former greats in all continents.

Not quite. I cant see John Brown or Ian Durrant being ambassadors.

Like Craig says the term 'global' shouldn't mean global, it should be filled with respected former greats in all continents.

doesn't need to be a specific job title just a wage for being. In Goughs case ambassador is the only job available since he doesnt live here.

Can't see him doing much work ,maybe just a yearly visit to narsa for the wage.

Good pic from Shoot! magazine in 1975:

[HT: https://twitter.com/ScotsFootyCards/status/645925938337873920]

CPbKNuLWEAAbeYr.jpg

Cracking picture Frankie.

I'm assuming Mary Gallacher is Tiny who done our tours and was one of the staff paid off after around 47 years service?

Surely she should have been one of the first re-employed? Or has she?

Edited by JTP

I'm assuming Mary Gallacher is Tiny who done our tours and was one of the staff paid off after around 47 years service?

I thought that was a rumour at the time, but was not true?

Yes, that's Tiny.

As far I know Tiny still works with the club unless she has retired. She was given a John Greig Achievement Award last year for 46 years service to the club.

Edited by Frankie