Dave King Statement RE: Retail deal

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/...-by-dave-king/

DAVE KING has released the following statement:

Supporters have requested an update on the Club’s relationship with Sports Direct which is one of the key issues that I promised to deal with prior to, and after, being elected to the board of Rangers International Football Club.

It is widely known that Sports Direct applied to court for an injunction to prevent myself and my fellow directors from disclosing certain details of the agreements between the Club and the Sports Direct group, including the existence or detail of any meetings between the parties.

The gagging order prevents me from disclosing the details of our contractual relationship it does not prevent me from updating supporters on the status of the general relationship with Sports Direct.

Sports Direct continues to litigate with the Club in an attempt to enforce its wishes and demands. This seems based on the simple logic that Sports Direct can outspend the Club in legal fees and thereby deal with the Club as it pleases. I assure supporters that the Club will not be cowed by this threat and the recent lack of communication (as a result of the gagging order) belies the level of robustness with which the Club’s interest has been and will be protected.

Furthermore, I have sent letters to Sports Direct in my capacity as a director of Rangers Retail Limited taking them to task for poor business practices and corporate governance failures. The Club believed that it was entering into a joint venture with a large public company that would behave as a partner should and would conduct its business affairs in an appropriate fashion.

In my 40 years of business, I cannot recollect having dealt with a public company that is run more like a wholly owned family business and appears unconcerned with other stakeholders – partners or otherwise. It remains my intention to ensure that Sports Direct is legally and financially held accountable for its failures.

Don't think that makes anything any clearer at all.

In fairness to King he obviously knows that the fans are expecting clarity. He's gagged from commenting on the contract details so, in my opinion is obliquely letting us know that matters are being looked at, that SD aren't playing ball, are farting around saying give us our 5 million now and we'll keep our retail cut as well, but King is hinting that these guys may well be held to account in the future. It isn't much but is better than radio silence.

Sports Direct continues to litigate with the Club in an attempt to enforce its wishes and demands. This seems based on the simple logic that Sports Direct can outspend the Club in legal fees and thereby deal with the Club as it pleases.

Overall, Dave King's statement is short on info and it's almost impossible to read between the lines, but there's actually quite a lot of information in just those two sentences alone.

Overall, Dave King's statement is short on info and it's almost impossible to read between the lines, but there's actually quite a lot of information in just those two sentences alone.

Really? What about, "poor buisness practices", "corporate governance failures", "not conducting buisness affairs in an appropriate manner","unconcerned with other stakeholders".

Well,i can read between those lines thanks.

Really? What about, "poor buisness practices", "corporate governance failures", "not conducting buisness affairs in an appropriate manner","unconcerned with other stakeholders".

Are those phrases really new/news to us?

The phrase "Sports Direct continues to litigate with the Club in an attempt to enforce its wishes and demands" is news to me.

Yes I think he is just letting us know that Ashley is playing hard ball. He obviously can't go into detail as his hands are tied.

We wanted an update and we got one but this is as far as he can go for now. Just still confirming what we already thought really.