Transfer Deadline Day: Michael O'Halloran signs until 2020

Sorry guys get out of the clouds most important thing is to win this league and get up.If we do get a run in the SC good and well and even if we did qualify via that for Europe I don't think we would have moulded in time to get by qualifiers.

Sorry guys get out of the clouds most important thing is to win this league and get up.If we do get a run in the SC good and well and even if we did qualify via that for Europe I don't think we would have moulded in time to get by qualifiers.

would still be worth millions

Vardy cost £1m

delli alli cost £5m

jenkinson cost £1m

all were pretty much stand outs in the lower leagues not really comparable to what we are doing.

sorry meant to say those prices dont include add onns

There's some real gems to be found even in lower leagues than League 2 in England, but stand-outs or not, bigger clubs need to be willing to take a punt and give them a proper chance in order to find out if they can cut it. Leicester took that £1m punt on Jamie Vardy 3 or 4 years ago when they bought him from Fleetwood because he'd been impressive in non-league football. Now Leicester are sitting a close 2nd place in the EPL and Vardy is joint top scorer in the league alongside Lukaku, a player who Everton blew a staggering £28 million on.

Fair enough, there's an element of it being a gamble signing players that haven't been tested at higher levels, but if you don't take a few punts on highly rated lower league (and/or youth) players you don't unearth any of those gems. Leicester might not manage to sustain their top 4 (or top 6) push, but credit where it's due, they've got a striker who's scored as many EPL goals in half a season as some of the very best (and most expensive) EPL strikers over the past decade or two and they bought him from Fleetwood Town.

There's some real gems to be found even in lower leagues than League 2 in England, but stand-outs or not, bigger clubs need to be willing to take a punt and give them a proper chance in order to find out if they can cut it. Leicester took that £1m punt on Jamie Vardy 3 or 4 years ago when they bought him from Fleetwood because he'd been impressive in non-league football. Now Leicester are sitting a close 2nd place in the EPL and Vardy is joint top scorer in the league alongside Lukaku, a player who Everton blew a staggering £28 million on.

Fair enough, there's an element of it being a gamble signing players that haven't been tested at higher levels, but if you don't take a few punts on highly rated lower league (and/or youth) players you don't unearth any of those gems. Leicester might not manage to sustain their top 4 (or top 6) push, but credit where it's due, they've got a striker who's scored as many EPL goals in half a season as some of the very best (and most expensive) EPL strikers over the past decade or two and they bought him from Fleetwood Town.

would love to see us take a punt on highly rated lower league players the calibre of those previously stated but we arent. We havent went near one top player from any of those leagues.

the type of gem mentioned would be in the top 10 rated players in league 2 or in things like the team of the year league 2 /1 etc. Those are the players you can pick up for a song compared to what they can be sold for once their ability has been proven at a higher level

would love to see us take a punt on highly rated lower league players the calibre of those previously stated but we arent. We havent went near one top player from any of those leagues.

the type of gem mentioned would be in the top 10 rated players in league 2 or in things like the team of the year league 2 /1 etc. Those are the players you can pick up for a song compared to what they can be sold for once their ability has been proven at a higher level

We maybe need to give the management team (both on and off the park) some time because they're in a tough situation right now trying to balance where we are and where we need to be.

Personally, I'm very happy with the initial signings Mark Warburton made because most of them have turned out to be very good and I honestly think he already signed a few gems even before Frank McParland was hired, so I'm confident that we're heading in the right direction.

I see nothing wrong in the Forrester & Gostomski signings. Yes they've been given short term deals but if they impress I'm sure they'll be offered longer deals.At least it's not exorbitant McCoist deals over 3 or 4 years

We've got 4 players out of contract at the end of the season(Law, Templeton, Shiels & Clark) & it doesn't look like they'll be offered new deals so new players need to be sourced from somewhere.It doesn't look like Bell features in MW's plans hence the Gostomski signing.

Of the 3 loan signings only Ball has impressed so they'll need replaced too.

I'll be shocked and disappointed if Law (28 in March) does not get a new 2 year deal and I think Shiels might get a one year offer. Aside from Wallace and Miller (can he continue to prove most of us wrong and be a goalscoring 36/37 year old in the SPFL?) who already have contracts and to a lesser extent Templeton (who has little time left to prove his worth, especially with the arrival of Forrester and perhaps others) Law and Shiels are the only ones with proven experience in the top flight.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

There's a fair bit of business to be done in this window yet and I'm sure if Warburton can get what he thinks he needs then he will. Otherwise he'll wait. The only position I think we need is DM but I'm not Warburton so I don't know exactly how he feels about that position or whether he feels he already has someone to cover that role or not. I'll wait and see who and what he does before I become overly concerned.

Welcome to Gersnet.

Do you not think we need an out and out striker and a better quality of CB than Kiernan?

In reply to your post, I think you are right that he is taking his experience from his former occupation and buying in players that have potential but have had a low yield and try to grow them into profit making entities. I am not so sure size or weight makes a difference on heavy fields but the type of player will certainly have an effect, You possibly have to have less technical players with more stamina. Are short snappy players better than big cart-horse types of players? I would imagine that is how you want to play. If it is a long ball system up to a striker then I would say you would need a larger more muscular striker with probably a couple of fast zippy players feeding off him. I don't think Zelalem started to play bad with heavy pitches I just think he slows the game down too much by trying to make too many simple passes. I think he will end up an excellent player but not in the cut and thrust Scottish game.

Oduwa is good at playing on concrete playgrounds apparently that's where he was "discovered"; time he went back there.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I also think that there is the point that recruitment will be easier once playing in the SP is guaranteed

and there's a reasonable posssibility of European football on the horizon, albeit it might well start in Azerbaijan.

Edited by BrahimHemdani