Musings on the current situation.

We are two points ahead in the Championship, with a game in hand.

We are coming to the end of the fifth month of this season and we have played 13 league games. The season has five months to run, the last league match scheduled for the last week of April. Simple arithmetic tells us we have 23 games to play, that's an extra ten games in the same time period. We have a fairly thin first team squad. and a couple of injuries and suspensions, particularly in key areas could really hurt.

I know the season is lop-sided because of international commitments; however, I feel postponing a couple of games because four players(Kelly, Aird, Oduwa, and Zelalem) have been called up has allowed Hibs a peep of unecessary light. We must grasp the situation and manage it better. Further, a return to early season form would be most welcome.

Hibs show no signs of dropping points and we need to continue to do the same (important test at Livingston this w/e).

The next game against Hibs at Ibrox is shaping up to be huge.

It could be argued that Hibs have the deeper squad and that we might need to depend on younger players to come in and do a job.

Game on !

I am enjoying the attacking football, but still have my doubts about our defence without a proven defensive midfielder. This may be rectified in January, but we play Hibs in December so we will go with what we have, injuries and suspensions included. I agree about the postponing of games, there was really no need for this, although it could be justified that it gives the thin squad a break.

I love to read and hear our Manager in the various articles and interviews, and have respect for his abilities and ambitions. To me he still has to prove he can change and adapt to various pressures as a football manager, his plan A and plan B soundbite IMO, will not work.

I hope he succeeds, and it is with Rangers.

We are two points ahead in the Championship, with a game in hand.

We are coming to the end of the fifth month of this season and we have played 13 league games. The season has five months to run, the last league match scheduled for the last week of April. Simple arithmetic tells us we have 23 games to play, that's an extra ten games in the same time period. We have a fairly thin first team squad. and a couple of injuries and suspensions, particularly in key areas could really hurt.

I know the season is lop-sided because of international commitments; however, I feel postponing a couple of games because four players(Kelly, Aird, Oduwa, and Zelalem) have been called up has allowed Hibs a peep of unnecessary light. We must grasp the situation and manage it better. Further, a return to early season form would be most welcome.

Warburton has been forthright in his assessment of having efficient squad numbers and, so far at least, the gamble (if we can call it that) has paid off with the help of international breaks.

I guess there has to be a balance found between consistency of performance and avoiding injuries so rest, recuperation and rotation is important throughout the season. January will offer further respite in that sense whereby we can supplement the squad with 2 or 3 players but it's certainly vital we retain our lead going into the New Year.

I've said all along that Hibs will offer a strong challenge and even if we beat them in late December that will still be the case. We can ill-afford to take our eye off the ball but I'm confident that the manager will not allow this and has it all in hand. The reason being for this that the teams shows no sign of panicking - even when behind in games to Hibs and others. Mental strength is something that has worried me a lot in recent years but the current squad seem as well prepared psychologically as they are physically.

However, there's a fine line between confidence and complacency. We'll see where that line is drawn in our dressing room this Saturday.

Well, the we way played the first few months essentially steamrolled most of our opponents. By now they have adapted or try to adapt to our style and with varying success. When you look at the facts, the way we conceded goals has not changed much, more or less individual errors. The opposition tries to play to that, while alos attempting to stopping us play. Our folk need to up their play even more, which is not as easy as it sounds. Running against brick walls for 90 mins with the oposition out to get you rather than "play football" is straining in itself. Not least if it happens again and again and again. But Warburton and Co. see that too and will address it. You can only do so much with the players at hand, we'll have to wait and see what January brings. I would assume that King & Co. are determined that we reach the top flight this season.

On the other hand, it is hardly a given that Hibs will continue with their "rich vein of form" from now on till the end of the campaign. If someone snatches Cummings from their books in January, things look rather different indeed.

Edited by der Berliner

I think Hibs challenge will drop away as the season progresses.

Last season, Hearts managed to maintain their good performance for the whole season, but they didn't have anyone breathing down their neck. A close title fight is not something that Hibs are used to & I think the "pressure" will get to them.

Between Hibs & us.....they are more likely to drop points.

Well, the way played the first few months essentially steamrolled most of our opponents. By now they have adapted or try to adapt to our style and with varying success. When you look at the facts, the way we conceded goals has not changed much, more or less individual errors. The opposition tries to play to that, while alos attempting to stopping us play. Our folk need to up their play even more, which is not as easy as it sounds. Running against brick walls for 90 mins with the oposition out to get you rather than "play football" is straining in itself. Not least if it happens again and again and again. But Warburton and Co. see that too and will address it. You can only do so much with the players at hand, we'll have to wait and see what January brings. I would assume that King & Co. are determined that we reach the top flight this season.

On the other hand, it is hardly a given that Hibs will continue with their "rich vein of form" from now on till the end of the campaign. If someone snatches Cummings from their books in January, things look rather different indeed.

Personally I think it will come down to the head to head games against hibs...