The Guardian (including associated Sports Direct chat)

Their treatment of workers is HORRENDOUS

The stores are a tip

He stuck the boot in to us,

I'm more than happy to see profits dwindle and I sincerely hope part of it is due to lack of revenue from our merchandise.

JD bags used to be a ned badge of honour haha, but I more than happily buy out of there now and even if nothing else it's a much more pleasant experience - their new Glasgow store on Argyll Street is great.

Was going to say I haven't shopped there for 18 years since they refused to honour some Sport Division gift vouchers after taking them over in 1998 - but looking it up, that was JJB - sorry JD. I keep getting them mixed up for obvious reasons.

That means I can start shopping there now... I'm ashamed to say I've given MA a fair bit of my coin before his connection with Rangers and before I knew about their working practices.

But as an off topic aside - gift vouchers are a really poor present, you may be able (if you're lucky) to spend them in say 200 shops around the country but with this thing called "cash" you can spend it in ANY shop and it will always be honoured - and at least you can definitely find something to spend it on...

Fantastic news that SD are having a hard time of it. I hope this downward spiral continues until they go bust, the sooner the better. But trying to blame mild winter conditions for poor sales for a sports retailer is hilarious, and I am sure the market has been reacting accordingly.

Was going to say I haven't shopped there for 18 years since they refused to honour some Sport Division gift vouchers after taking them over in 1998 - but looking it up, that was JJB - sorry JD. I keep getting them mixed up for obvious reasons.

That means I can start shopping there now... I'm ashamed to say I've given MA a fair bit of my coin before his connection with Rangers and before I knew about their working practices.

But as an off topic aside - gift vouchers are a really poor present, you may be able (if you're lucky) to spend them in say 200 shops around the country but with this thing called "cash" you can spend it in ANY shop and it will always be honoured - and at least you can definitely find something to spend it on...

I was given vouchers for Greaves about a decade ago, they accepted them from me in June of last year. Greaves is a proper sports shop though.

I hope they analyse their outlets and find a big drop in Scottish sales. I was wondering if a visit to European clubs' forums might encourage a boycott there. We're all football fans after all. Might even find fertile ground down Geordie way as well

I was given vouchers for Greaves about a decade ago, they accepted them from me in June of last year. Greaves is a proper sports shop though.

That's pretty good but it's harder to quibble when you're in business. I think if you take over a business things like this should be honoured and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a legal requirement as some type of creditor.

Virgin Active also didn't honour some guest passes for Esporta that I had bought in bulk, when they took over the gym. I think the stupid thing about that was that it would have cost them virtually nothing to do so. It's not as if I'm now going to buy new passes to replace them - or EVER after the loss of good will. I also left them soon after.