The Return Of The Strike Partnership

I think there's a reason that 95% of teams across Europe all play 1 striker now.

You need the right type of player to play as the lone striker up front. He needs to be good on the deck and in the air and be capable of holding the ball up to bring supporting team mates into play.

A Jelavic-type would be best suited from the strikers we've had most recently. The likes of Miller & Clark would be totally unsuitable for this demanding role. We need to rectify this.

Bobby Graham and Willie Pettigrew

McCoist and Hately

Millar and Brand

target man who defenders bounce off and who lays it on to the poacher

usually got to be big and strong and good in the air although Bobby Graham tended to stick his arse into defenders when challenging.

A lot of those depended on high balls into and around the box

The M& B partnership was great but Millar wasn't that big if IIRC; you could shoulder charge keepers then!

The first partnership that I remember was McCoist and Fleck, followed by McCoist and Johnston. Hateley and McCoist stood out after that, McCoist and Durie, Miller and Boyd werent too bad either. I would be stretched at the moment to think about the host of strikers we had since then and in what combo they excelled, Andersen, Wallace, Prso, Johansson, Amato, Darcheville, Cousin et al ...

Most of the partnerships remembered thus far are before my time, but I recall them being more about physical presence rather than pace. The most recent success stories of a strike partnership have incorporated not physical presence but blistering pace. And that dictates how one would play: longer balls into the box for the target man, versus more intricate play and through-balls in behind for players with pace. The former is a little out-of-date, albeit still useful at times, whereas the latter is what we should be looking to incorporate as a main tactic.

Thierry Henry was interesting on MNF suggesting Van Gaal and Guardiola are quite similar. Henry suggested that the first two-thirds of the pitch, Van Gaal and Guardiola are the same. But in the final third Guardiola allows complete freedom to run in behind, trusting the midfielders to find their forwards, whereas Van Gaal remains too structured. The example was that Martial, playing wide in a front three, was always too wide when it came to the final third because it was an instruction to do so from Van Gaal, whereas Henry, David Villa and Messi were wide at first but always looked to get more in behind centrally to score goals.

Most of the partnerships remembered thus far are before my time, but I recall them being more about physical presence rather than pace. The most recent success stories of a strike partnership have incorporated not physical presence but blistering pace. And that dictates how one would play: longer balls into the box for the target man, versus more intricate play and through-balls in behind for players with pace. The former is a little out-of-date, albeit still useful at times, whereas the latter is what we should be looking to incorporate as a main

Thierry Henry was interesting on MNF suggesting Van Gaal and Guardiola are quite similar. Henry suggested that the first two-thirds of the pitch, Van Gaal and Guardiola are the same. But in the final third Guardiola allows complete freedom to run in behind, trusting the midfielders to find their forwards, whereas Van Gaal remains too structured. The example was that Martial, playing wide in a front three, was always too wide when it came to the final third because it was an instruction to do so from Van Gaal, whereas Henry, David Villa and Messi were wide at first but always looked to get more in behind centrally to score goals.

Thought Henry,s thinking and analysis was excellent last night