A Few Home Truths - Gary Ralston

I guess it is a joke on Dave King as the Rand is the currency of South Africa.

Yeah...and a good one too. No doubt the mhanky readers will be wetting their shellsuits over it.:laugh:

Can we not have a Rhecord free forum on here? I know I don't have to read it if I don't want to...but have some sort of warning in place beforehand...like "if you don't want to know the results, look away now or leave the room".:)

That National Paper is so out of touch with the People on the street and we don't need it to move forward.

His comments about the team in general and Tavernier and Zelalem in particular are spot on. Most telling perhaps is that our CB's are just NOT commanding. Think back to our best teams of recent years, we had Cuellar, Amoruso, Gough, Butcher and earlier Woodburn, Young, Meiklejohn, not to mention Ronnie McKinnon and Colin Jackson. They WERE commanding CB's.

Now we have Rob Kiernan lately of Accrington Stanley, Burton Albion and Southend and Danny Wilson who doesn't seem anything like the player who left us five years ago.

We've got a good goalie, now we need a top quality CB in front of him.

His comments about the team in general and Tavernier and Zelalem in particular are spot on. Most telling perhaps is that our CB's are just NOT commanding. Think back to our best teams of recent years, we had Cuellar, Amoruso, Gough, Butcher and earlier Woodburn, Young, Meiklejohn, not to mention Ronnie McKinnon and Colin Jackson. They WERE commanding CB's.

Now we have Rob Kiernan lately of Accrington Stanley, Burton Albion and Southend and Danny Wilson who doesn't seem anything like the player who left us five years ago.

We've got a good goalie, now we need a top quality CB in front of him.

That's an unfair comparison. Those 'commanding' CB's of yesteryear would be equally as bad in the current side. We are exposed at the back because we play offensive football and therefore those guys you've mentioned would be ripped to shreds, or give away foul after foul. We may be better at set pieces but in open-play we'd be just as bad. The older guys I never saw, but Cuellar, Amoruso, Gough, Butcher etc., I don't recall being ball-players; another deficiency that makes them unsuitable for our current style. We need a different type of CB to those you've mentioned and we need to stop comparing them. Kiernan is the right 'type' of player we need, just not at the level.

The older guys I never saw, but Cuellar, Amoruso, Gough, Butcher etc., I don't recall being ball-players

As a side note to the debate I remember a discussion with a fellow bear many years ago about Ronnie McKinnon who he described as a " no nonsense centre half who always simply booted the ball up the park." He changed his mind when I showed him a recording of England v Scotland 1967 at Wembley. Ronnie was always much more than a hoofer.

As a side note to the debate I remember a discussion with a fellow bear many years ago about Ronnie McKinnon who he described as a " no nonsense centre half who always simply booted the ball up the park." He changed his mind when I showed him a recording of England v Scotland 1967 at Wembley. Ronnie was always much more than a hoofer.

Ronnie McKinnon was the best at tackling back that I have ever seen, he seemed to be able to extend his legs as if on jet springs. If anyone of that era was a no nonsense player I'd say it was Colin Jackson. Make no mistake, McKinnon was an imperious centre half who could play more than a bit of football.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Ronnie McKinnon was the best at tackling back that I have ever seen, he seemed to be able to extend his legs as if on jet springs. If anyone of that era was a no nonsense player I'd say it was Colin Jackson. Make no mistake, McKinnon was an imperious centre half who could play more than a bit of football.

I can only ever remember Ronnie making a couple of mistakes in all the time I watched him. The cup final when the clatties scored with 2 penalties being one of course.