Mark Warburton said the win validated his choice to stick with Rangers

Rangers boss Mark Warburton hopes capacity crowd at Ibrox for 4-2 win over Hibs is a glimpse into club's near future

Rangers beat Hibernian 4-2 in front of almost 50,000 at Ibrox on Monday

The club hopes it's a sign of things to come as they push for promotion

Rangers are now three points ahead of Hibs at top of Championship

Mark Warburton said the win validated his choice to stick with Rangers

In the aftermath of his most significant victory as Rangers manager, Mark Warburton found sleep elusive. Impossible, even. In management and coaching, it’ s a common lament.

‘Jim Stewart (Rangers goalkeeping coach) was up before five this morning watching the game again,’ revealed Warburton. ‘I was sending emails at quarter to six from Murray Park.

‘The job makes demands of you, it can be more intense.’

The intensity comes at different times from different angles. A crowd of close to 50,000 – the largest at a league game in Scotland this season – generated its own demands. A 4-2 win ebbed and flowed from the brooding silence of a Hibs opener to the pulsating throbbing of the Rangers fightback.

If or when they return to a point where playing Celtic four times a season becomes their fate, Monday was a foretaste for Warburton of how that might feel.

‘What gave us a clue was the build up to it in terms of tickets,’ he continued. ‘All the guys who have been here for many years, guys like Jim and David (Weir) who have experienced European nights, said this is worse than an Old Firm game for trying to get hold of tickets.

‘And it was and the waiting list for tickets and demand for tickets that was the first time I’d experienced it. The consistency and response from the crowd after the first goal, after the second goal was magnificent.’

The atmosphere at Ibrox was redolent of old times in more ways than one. Time will tell if discriminatory chants draw the attention of the SPFL’s delegate. The regret for Rangers – irrespective of what happens elsewhere - is that this stuff still darkens the door when there are more relevant matters to focus on in 2016.

Ensconced at his desk before light broke, Warburton booted up his office computer and sent his first email of the day; an indignant, clear-headed appeal against Andy Halliday’s harsh red card for a clash with Fraser Fyvie of Hibs.

‘Seriously, that’s the best time of the day to do work like that,’ he insisted. ‘David Weir comes in at 6.20am and he is late…

‘Once 8am comes around, people start knocking on your door, there are players to see and other things to do.

‘So it’s great to come in as early as we do, watch games again, make your notes and compare them with the analyst. Then we can get ready for training.

‘We have to set the standards here. Talk is cheap, actions speak louder than words - all those old sayings are really true.

‘If we can get it right here, then we will be in a good place. But it makes demands of everyone.’

It helped to have his 85-year-old mother in town. When the Londoner was linked with a raft of Championship jobs his decision to retain a family home in the south east aroused suspicions he might not hang around long.

Yet the intensity of Monday’s win over Hibs convinced him he made the right decision to join Rangers. Vindication came from friends and family in the south sending texts and emails praising what proved to be a thrilling football match.

‘I just had the nine up for the game,’ Warburton revealed. ‘It was a great chance for my mum to come up. She was 85 on Boxing Day and she is an avid football fan. She always follows games. It was great for her to experience a game like that.

‘You have got to enjoy times like this. It was a fantastic atmosphere. It was also a good performance, we sent the fans home happy and that is a message we have on the wall in the dressing room; we want to send the fans home happy. If we do that then we are in a good place.

‘My mum sat through it all. She had some earache on the way home, but she enjoyed it.

‘We said to the players after the game that the potential here is enormous to get the club back to where it’s been and beyond.

‘So you’ve got to enjoy yesterday, recognise the responsibility you’ve got to the fans and the expectation of the fans.

‘Guys here said we could have filled another stand easily with the demand for tickets, we could have had a crowd of 65 or 70,000, which is magnificent.’

Warburton also defends the absence of his family from Glasgow on a more permanent basis, maintaining he is totally committed to his current job.

‘In truth - and this sounds really bad - the family may as well be lonely somewhere they know than lonely somewhere they don’t know,’ he reasoned.

‘My wife and family would just be stuck in a flat here somewhere, likewise David Weir’s family. So they might as well be close to where their own family and friends are.

‘We can concentrate on the job and it has to be that way, because Rangers does demand that of you. It demands it in different ways.

‘With the potential of this club, then it is only right that if you take this job, then you commit to it fully. If not, then I think you would get exposed really quickly.’

It was his son who persuaded him to move north in the first place. A YouTube video with Roy Orbison providing the backdrop to Old Firm mayhem was a persuasive factor.

‘He put it on his iPad,’ said Warburton. ‘Penny Arcade and all that. You ask questions when there are options and, touch wood, you are fortunate to be offered various jobs and you have to make sure your decision making is right.

‘He showed me that Penny Arcade, Rangers 3, Celtic 2, it lasted for eight minutes and he rammed it down my throat. We now use that with the players we are trying to sign. It’s a fantastic clip. I heard it at the start and did look around the stadium.

‘You have to enjoy these moments because we have gone from that to playing in front 1,500 people, or one man and his dog, and you have to enjoy a proper football stadium with that atmosphere…’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3378247/Rangers-boss-Mark-Warburton-hopes-capacity-crowd-Ibrox-4-2-win-Hibs-glimpse-club-s-near-future.html#ixzz3vnbeE58b

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

My eyes started watering and my lips trembling watching that.

Where did Penny Arcade come from? I mean in a Rangers sense, I know it is Roy Orbison. Who decided it would be good as a club song?

Where did Penny Arcade come from? I mean in a Rangers sense, I know it is Roy Orbison. Who decided it would be good as a club song?

The first time I ever heard that song was a few years ago in the Bluebell Bar, Tenerife. Our host for the night, a Hogmanay party in June, sang it. Within a year the song had really taken off amongst our support.

Simon Leslie of The Blue Order I believe had something to do with it.

Simon Leslie of The Blue Order I believe had something to do with it.

The song "Penny Arcade" was one of the very few that Roy Orbison recorded but did not write.

It was written in 1969 by Sammy King. King denies that Roy Orbison only paid him £5 for it.

I don't know what started it but I'm fairly sure it was the Roy Orbison version that was played first and caught on at Ibrox.

I believe you are correct inasmuch as Simon Leslie had a hand in persauding the then 69-year old King to record it as Rangers charity song in 2011 and from then on that became the version that was played.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

The first time I ever heard that song was a few years ago in the Bluebell Bar, Tenerife. Our host for the night, a Hogmanay party in June, sang it. Within a year the song had really taken off amongst our support.

The first time I heard it was Tenerife too, in the Star Bar. It is a popular Karaoke song there. Now when we are in the Star Bar all the Bears that are passing stop to listen.