BT to blot out sectarian chants

Lifted from FF:

TELLY bosses are shifting pitch-side mics so viewers don’t hear sectarian chants during games.

BT Sport chiefs say they will move gear and change settings to blank out banned anthems.

Mics were placed in a higher position at a Rangers tie last week after trouble with supporters belting out hate songs at a previous game.

A source said yesterday: “This will be happening more and more because sadly sectarian singing appears to have resurfaced more publicly this season.

“Viewers outwith the Old Firm must hear about things like this and be totally baffled.”

BT Sport moved the audio gear last week during a Scottish Cup tie between Rangers and Cowdenbeath.

It came after banned songs could clearly be heard during the Ibrox club’s grudge match against Hibs at the end of December.

One Rangers supporter was filmed shouting “****** c****” at away fans during the 4-2 victory.

On the same day as the Cowdenbeath match, Celtic fans were heard singing offensive chants during their cup match at Stranraer. A video emerged of louts chanting about the IRA amid a sea of green smoke.

BT Sport said: “Inappropriate behaviour by fans at live sporting events has potential to cause offence. We try to prevent this across all live broadcasts by, for example, adjusting microphone settings.”

Coming soon

'Canned' football atmosphere with advertising slogans being chanted?

United... 'I'm Offended'... Kingdom

I must admit the commentator does apologise regularly for the background shouting but I do not see how moving the mics will help as it is virtually all over the stadium.

The other week dundee derby they sang up to their knees in Arab blood. How do viewers outside Scotland take that?

Yesterday stoke fans singing why don't you go home to arsene Wenger. Should I see that as English hatred towards the french?

Pathetic pandering to idiot Celtic fans who complain to bt for ulterior motives.

To be honest I would prefer cameras to hone in on those obviously carrying out singing and chanting when requested not to do so by their clubs.This would identify them clearly and enable action to be taken against them.

If action can be taken against players via tv evidence I cannot see why it cannot be used against the louts.

Lifted from FF:

BT Sport moved the audio gear last week during a Scottish Cup tie between Rangers and Cowdenbeath.

Sky must have been very annoyed given it was them who showed the game... :D

Viewers outwith the Old Firm must hear about things like this and be totally baffled.

Question would be: do they actually understand what is being sung about and/or what it means? How familiar is you average Sky viewer with the "folklore" of e.g. Northern Ireland or indeed know what F*enian means or stands for? Ain't it much more to them than singing Penny Arcade or our gaffer wearing a Magic Hat? Or the Hammers' support going on about Bubbles (if they still do)?

A question to your 's do the knuckle draggers know what their singing about probably some do but having stood on the terraces of some of the smaller clubs on our journey the number of younger "fans" singing these songs with hate in their faces is concerning.This is where education in true support is needed.