Warburton unconcerned with Rangers' form in the final third

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14267650.Mark_Warburton_unconcerned_with_Rangers__form_in_the_final_third/?

MARK WARBURTON insists he isn’t worried that Rangers have lost their cutting edge in the final third in recent weeks as the goals have dried up for the Light Blues.

After netting four against Hibernian and Livingston and six and five against Dumbarton and Cowdenbeath respectively earlier this year, the Gers have found the net just twice in their last three outings.

Rangers failed to score for the first time this term as they drew 0-0 with Kilmarnock on Saturday but boss Warburton said: “I think if there are alarm bells after that then there is an issue. [Against Kilmarnock] we showed good quality on the football, it was just lacking that killer touch in the box.

“Waggy has been outstanding this season and nine times out of 10 he’ll score that. We had Tav hit the post, Danny hitting the bar, chances for Harry and Jason.

“Lee Wallace forced a couple of saves, so all over the park first and second half we created good chances and on another day we would have got three or four.

“It’s the random nature of football. Sometimes it drops your way be it a penalty kick or a corner or a goal kick or an offside, whatever it might be.

“The random events of football sometimes go your way, sometimes they don’t. I think the last couple of games they haven’t gone our way but I’m delighted with the quality of football.”

The one positive to take from the Killie Scottish Cup clash for Warburton was the return of midfielder Jason Holt.

The 22-year-old has now recovered from a knee injury and is in line to face Alloa this weekend.

Warburton said: “His movement, his energy, his quality and his hunger to get back and defend as well as go forward.

“He adopts positions which hurt the opposition, he finds pockets of space and he’s constantly moving. He does it with a real dynamism about his movement.

“So he’s been superb for us, he’s earned his new contract, and I’m looking forward to Jason getting better and better.”

Personally I'm a bit concerned about the latest slump in not finding the net recently.

The earlier loss of form and lack of goals I put down to the squad becoming over-confident, winning games by 5 goals on a regular basis and going 11 points clear of their nearest rivals condemning themselves into the comfort zone. Soon we found ourselves on level points and that was the kick up the ass we just had to take seriously.

My concern is the squad feel they are in that comfort zone again resulting in below par performances in the league race and against Kilmarnock, thinking they only had to turn up to win the game.

Walking off the park at full time was surely another wake-up call for them and a lesson if you want to win trophies here you need to play to full potential in every game from now until the end of the season.

We've had two bites at the comfort zone...no more please.

Edited by Bearman

It's the manager's job to stay positive and I'm sure he'll be as disappointed as us at the failure to take our chances on Saturday.

Like he says though, I'd be more concerned if we weren't creating the chances and am looking forward to a few goals this weekend and next week!

I'm not worried in the slightest.

Aside from a couple of half chances last weekend we absolutely dominated Killie who could barely get out of their own half. It has been many a long day since we were that dominant against a top flight side. Sure, the goals didn't come but we did have plenty of chances. Far more of an issue if you aren't creating the chances. Nowhere near as big an issue if you are creating the chances and they simply don't go in.

The most important part of that article is highlighted by Bearman..... "Rangers failed to score for the first time this term" - so even when not playing well we have still been scoring. Given that our defense has become much more solid of late then so long as we score 1 and have a clean sheet all is good in the world.

Not only that but the team has almost become a victim of its own success - by that I mean that because we started the season flying and scoring 4, 5 or 6 goals regularly... all of a sudden it became the expected norm - so when we then win 1-0 there is some form of mini-crisis.

The way I see it :

1. We are top of the league by 8 points (having played a game more)

2. We are playing attractive football

3. We are still creating numerous chances per game

4. Defensively we have looked far more solid of late (and have the best defensive record in the league)

5. We are averaging just shy of 3 goals per game in the league

I can understand why some of us worry about form slumps given we have suffered 4 years of complete and utter turmoil. However, I would far rather be in OUR position than Hibs or Falkirk. They are chasing a team which has only dropped 10 points out of 69 available, a team which has conceded fewer goals than either of them, a team which has scored an astonishing 28 more goals than BOTH of them (in 23 league games) and a team which has beaten Falkirk twice in 3 league contests (close games admittedly) and absolutely pummelled Hibs in 2 out of 3 league contests plus a Cup game.

Whose position would I rather ? Ours, by a country mile too.

The will, the drive, the determination to see this through from the players has been palpable. There is such a great desire for them to succeed that even when the pressure arrives I fully expect them to come through with flying colours.

For a little balance, the four clean sheets in a row for the FIRST TIME this season should also be mentioned.

There is an insatiable thirst in the media and in some of the support to focus on negatives and what if scenarios.

For a little balance, the four clean sheets in a row for the FIRST TIME this season should also be mentioned.

There is an insatiable thirst in the media and in some of the support to focus on negatives and what if scenarios.

After all we have been through I am delighted at our progress!,and there will be a few worried about our progress!.