Dundee star Gary Harkins: "Rangers are just a new club...I've not played them before"

THE Dens Park playmaker insists he's never faced Rangers before and hopes to do so in the next round of the Scottish Cup if his team can beat Dumbarton.

GRINNING Gary Harkins has taunted Rangers by branding the Ibrox outfit a new club.

The Dundee ace is looking to set up a Scottish Cup quarter-final clash with the Govan side by dumping Dumbarton in their fifth round replay at Dens tomorrow night.

Mischievous midfielder Harkins couldn’t resist lobbing in a grenade to wind up Gers who vigorously maintain they are the same club following liquidation in 2012.

The playmaker faced the Light Blues several times with Killie and Dundee before the financial meltdown at Ibrox four years ago.

But Harkins insisted he’d never faced Dundee’s potential opponents in the last eight as it's not the same side.

Harkins said: "They’re just a new club. I’ve not played them before, so I’m looking forward to that. It should be good.

“It will be a tough game against Dumbarton, they made it hard for us down there and it wasn’t the best of days, but there is a chance to go to Ibrox for a quarter-final so we will be right up for it.

“If we could finish top six and at least make the quarter-finals, it would be a good season for us. I have said before that the second season is always tougher, we finished top six last time, to do it again and push on – if we can go on a better cup run – we would be happy with that.”

Harkins admitted the Dens men were content with a point at Rugby Park after the goalless draw with Kilmarnock.

He said: “We weren’t great but I agreed with the manager that it was good to get a clean sheet and a point away from home. The front four, and we have been good for the last few weeks, weren’t up to where we usually are.

“A point isn’t bad, especially when a team gets a new manager in, so we are quite pleased.

“We matched them, defended well and Scott Bain made a great save in the first half. We even probably could have nicked it in the end. I had a chance I probably should have done better with.

"I should have taken a touch instead of kicking the ball over the stand.

“From fourth to eleventh, any of the teams could go on a bad run and get into trouble. So not losing at the weekend at Kilmarnock was a good way to keep the momentum going.

"We just want to take as many points as we can and let’s see where that takes us.”

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dundee-star-gary-harkins-rangers-7413876#VJ4L3cCCRfwmHTOP.99

Enough is Enough.

The Rangers board must grow a pair & take this to the SFA and have this pondlife charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

There is no new club. The SPFL website clearly shows Rangers competing in the championship formed in 1872 and has 54 titles in its history.

Does Harkins know something different? Or is he just a liar?

I see Harkins is from Greenock and was with the yahoos in his youth. Maybe that tells its own story

Blah blah blah , flat earth society calling , mods please lock this thread

Really ? Just keep letting them tell a lie often enough and hope people start to believe it. We're not talking intelligent people here so plenty will believe it

I'm sorry but the Rangers board need to act and do something about this. Report this to the SFA and get Harkins to retract this comment at least

Really ? Just keep letting them tell a lie often enough and hope people start to believe it. We're not talking intelligent people here so plenty will believe it

I'm sorry but the Rangers board need to act and do something about this. Report this to the SFA and get Harkins to retract this comment at least

Forget the idiot saying these things...it's more to do with the newspaper, keep kindling the fire.

No Rab not " Really " however we could have a 100 page thread on this and it wouldn't change a thing , so your 100% correct it's up to the board to fight it , I was just wanting the thread closed because it's boring , you know it , I know it , everyone knows it .

When Rangers come to town, they are a difficult side to deal with in fact expect defeat but fight them on the park and you have a chance.

MHEDIA: When Rangers come to town...watch yourself, they are sectarian, their manager talks pish and they are a new club.