Alan Judge: I'd love to work with Warbs again... just not at Rangers

If he's a Celtic fan it's perfectly understandable that he wouldn't want to play for us. No amount of money would ever make me play for them and I say that quite truthfully. I don't really want them playing for us and I don't understand why any of us would want to play for them.

While I eat sleep and drink Rangers and hardly a moment of the day goes bye without thinking about them, my professional life is different. If I only had the choice to play for Celtic or drop down to the lower leagues then I am afraid my decision would be to cross the divide. I don't believe in cutting my nose off to spite my face. Maybe you will think me a lesser supporter but by the same token I would say anybody willing to drop out of football or not get the best out of life they can because they wouldn't play for a certain team is an idiot.

While I eat sleep and drink Rangers and hardly a moment of the day goes bye without thinking about them, my professional life is different. If I only had the choice to play for Celtic or drop down to the lower leagues then I am afraid my decision would be to cross the divide. I don't believe in cutting my nose off to spite my face. Maybe you will think me a lesser supporter but by the same token I would say anybody willing to drop out of football or not get the best out of life they can because they wouldn't play for a certain team is an idiot.

The hypothetical scenario of either dropping down divisions or retiring from football completely being the alternative to joining Celtic is something you have dreamed up. I'm not sure if this is a choice any player has ever had to make because generally players have different choices at a fairly similar standard. Scott Allan and Scott Brown for example both spurned our interest. That's not something I would have chosen to do.

Edit - I should add above that Scott Allan would have been playing lower league level had he joined us. Though he was already in that division at Hibs and it was likely he would only need to spend one more season there before playing in the Premier. Given he's hardly getting a game for them, it doesn't seem he's getting the 'best out of life'.

One last thing: if you would play for Celtic that's your prerogative. It doesn't make anyone an 'idiot' simply because they would rather not. People are allowed to make their own decisions based on their personal beliefs, as Alan Judge has done.

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

The hypothetical scenario of either dropping down divisions or retiring from football completely being the alternative to joining Celtic is something you have dreamed up. I'm not sure if this is a choice any player has ever had to make because generally players have different choices at a fairly similar standard. Scott Allan and Scott Brown for example both spurned our interest. That's not something I would have chosen to do.

Edit - I should add above that Scott Allan would have been playing lower league level had he joined us. Though he was already in that division at Hibs and it was likely he would only need to spend one more season there before playing in the Premier. Given he's hardly getting a game for them, it doesn't seem he's getting the 'best out of life'.

One last thing: if you would play for Celtic that's your prerogative. It doesn't make anyone an 'idiot' simply because they would rather not. People are allowed to make their own decisions based on their personal beliefs, as Alan Judge has done.

I was thinking in the scenario of a young Danny McGrain who Rangers would not sign because of his name. Although his family were red hot Rangers supporters he signed for Celtic. If as a schoolboy Rangers had released me( Like Kenny Dalgliesh) and Celtic offered me a contract then for me I would be professional enough to make the same decision. In those days the other option was probably Partick or Clyde. In saying that a friend of mine who is now a coach at Ross county could have picked from all the big teams including Rangers, Celtic, Manu, Liverpool and Leeds(old) but chose for Partick Thistle. As you say it is your personal choice. I still think it would be stupid to rule out any move through a bias though.

Aye, bigoted because he doesn't want to play for us, his team's greatest rivals. Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

I'll start getting worried when you don't find my posts ridiculous, thanks for reaffirming that I've made a good point.

If the guy doesn't want to play for us because he's a Celtic fan, that's fine, but he didn't say that. Not surprised in the slightest that you're defending him.

Re Daniel Fergus McGrain I was at Kingsridge and in same year group,the rumour at the school was that Rangers Officials came to the school and was told Danny was not there but at ST.Pius so they turned about and left.Yes Danny was at St Pius because they had a swimming pool which Kingsridge had the use of not having one themself.

The rest is history as we now know.

Re Daniel Fergus McGrain I was at Kingsridge and in same year group,the rumour at the school was that Rangers Officials came to the school and was told Danny was not there but at ST.Pius so they turned about and left.Yes Danny was at St Pius because they had a swimming pool which Kingsridge had the use of not having one themself.

The rest is history as we now know.

The story I heard from his father and mother was that the headmaster of the school had connections with Rangers and arranged meetings with representatives of Rangers. Before the meeting they contacted them to say they were not interested and wouldn't be taking any further action. His parents believed it was because of his name. The 2 stories could be true but it would be strange if his headmaster arranged things they did not know what school he went to. My father played football with his father and worked alongside his mother in the veterinary Collage. They were regularly at Birthday parties in our family. They turned from red hot Rangers supporters to red hot Celtic supporters. His mother was very bitter against Rangers.

As I say I was in Danny,s class for the first three years of secondary and it was only when we got to O-level and onward we did not always share the same subject so I was in our parent school when thing happened as I mentioned.The buzz that went round the school at the time was electric at the thought of Rangers being in the school,but it entirely conceivable as you say that there is an element of truth in both stories.

Personally I am pleased that he had such a great career as he was a quiet and humble person.

As I say I was in Danny,s class for the first three years of secondary and it was only when we got to O-level and onward we did not always share the same subject so I was in our parent school when thing happened as I mentioned.The buzz that went round the school at the time was electric at the thought of Rangers being in the school,but it entirely conceivable as you say that there is an element of truth in both stories.

Personally I am pleased that he had such a great career as he was a quiet and humble person.

I may be wrong in this as I was young but most of our birthday parties ended in Sash bashes. I am sure his father was belting out the sash on a number of occasions.