Fall of the house of David Murray...

we were consistently humiliated in europe by total dross - "judge me on europe" murray whined.

... because other clubs in richer or better footballing countries or with better players or better coaches were better (on the day). As for the dross, teams play in Europe for a reason, and that reason is not because they are dross or that they do not have a names as old an full of glory as ours. Happens all over the place. SDM's managers and players delivered European football year after year and look what it takes the likes of Arsenal or even ManU or ManC to win something there.

... because other clubs in richer or better footballing countries or with better players or better coaches were better (on the day). As for the dross, teams play in Europe for a reason, and that reason is not because they are dross or that they do not have a names as old an full of glory as ours. Happens all over the place. SDM's managers and players delivered European football year after year and look what it takes the likes of Arsenal or even ManU or ManC to win something there.

Back then there were certainly better footballing countries... but we were spending just as much as Europe's biggest clubs, almost, at the time. Unless my memory is fading.

Murray bought everything with loans, including us. He should be on trial along with the rest, duped my arse. You can't kid a kidder.

Edited by trueblue 64
Spelling, my tablet swapped arse to arise, oh the irony.

Back then there were certainly better footballing countries... but we were spending just as much as Europe's biggest clubs, almost, at the time. Unless my memory is fading.

Can't speak for your memory, but if the team on the park does not deliver (no matter how much money was spend), would you blame the chairman for it? We all had expectations for Europe time and again, not least with the stars we signed. Sometimes it worked, but we suffered failures too. On paper, we should have competed better, but on paper we should e.g. have collected three Challenge Cups by now too. As I said, Chelsea and a whole host of top notch EPL teams sure want some European silverware (well, you would think they do, but the fans sure crave it) and have spend fortunes on their sides. That does not mean there aren't better ones out there playing on - compared to them - peanuts.

Can't speak for your memory, but if the team on the park does not deliver (no matter how much money was spend), would you blame the chairman for it? We all had expectations for Europe time and again, not least with the stars we signed. Sometimes it worked, but we suffered failures too. On paper, we should have competed better, but on paper we should e.g. have collected three Challenge Cups by now too. As I said, Chelsea and a whole host of top notch EPL teams sure want some European silverware (well, you would think they do, but the fans sure crave it) and have spend fortunes on their sides. That does not mean there aren't better ones out there playing on - compared to them - peanuts.

I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make here dB. You previously spoke of richer footballing nations as if we weren't spending - but during some of those years we were outspending the vast majority of European teams.... and got very little in return for it.

I wasn't blaming the chairman for any of that, but was merely pointing out that some of your argument could be contested.

I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make here dB. You previously spoke of richer footballing nations as if we weren't spending - but during some of those years we were outspending the vast majority of European teams.... and got very little in return for it.

I wasn't blaming the chairman for any of that, but was merely pointing out that some of your argument could be contested.

Someone up there had a go at SDM because of his "judge me on Europe" statement. Well, on hindsight it is a fine cudgel to club him with, but he gave money to the various managers and players and the latter didn't deliver. Whether or not we outspent dozen if not hundreds of European team along the way - which seems contestable too. For we have to remember, the top notch sides who would stood and did stood in our way, the Bayerns, Leverkusens, Parmas, Barcelonas et al are not exactly cash strapped sides. And that aside, those who played for our opponents wouldn't have come to play in Scotland either, so despite all the money, the quality was still debatable, not least if we constantly "honed" our skills against the Scum, Aberdeen and Falkirk, whereas the rest faced rather different opposition at home of a greater quality. That does not excuse failures against Swedish teams or the like, but that, as I've pointed at with the Challenge Cup remark, is football.

Someone up there had a go at SDM because of his "judge me on Europe" statement. Well, on hindsight it is a fine cudgel to club him with, but he gave money to the various managers and players and the latter didn't deliver. Whether or not we outspent dozen if not hundreds of European team along the way - which seems contestable too. For we have to remember, the top notch sides who would stood and did stood in our way, the Bayerns, Leverkusens, Parmas, Barcelonas et al are not exactly cash strapped sides. And that aside, those who played for our opponents wouldn't have come to play in Scotland either, so despite all the money, the quality was still debatable, not least if we constantly "honed" our skills against the Scum, Aberdeen and Falkirk, whereas the rest faced rather different opposition at home of a greater quality. That does not excuse failures against Swedish teams or the like, but that, as I've pointed at with the Challenge Cup remark, is football.

If David Murray said "judge me on Europe".... then what else should the fans do ? He REQUESTED we judge him on Europe and, for the most part, we were a failure.

You can excuse it all you like dB, and you can make excuses for him all you like too - but he said "judge me on Europe". Did he put any caveats into the statement such as "judge me on Europe.... depending on what the other teams in Europe do, or spend, or who we can attract to the Club" ? No, he didn't. Yet here you are defending him for a statement he made.

He asked to be judged on Europe. How did he do in Europe dB ? David Murray himself made that single simple statement and yet you are trying to change the criteria to suit defending him.

I think he arrived at Ibrox with good intentions and delivered the 9 in a row that had been rubbed in our faces for years and I somewhat doubt that would have happened without him. His ambitions for the club simply got ahead of the means to support them when TV deals in the South altered the landscape beyond all recognition and with that in mind he cannot be compared to a true rat like Shyte who claimed to be a fan but had nothing but bad intentions from the outset.