Banner at the game

Usually these types of message banners are smuggled in.

Frankie,

I am basing my comments in the aftermath of last year's League Cup semi-final.

Remember, the Green Brigade had quite an elaborate display? The coffin banner, the four horsemen, Rangers date of founding, culminating in 'Huns RIP'. At half time, they lit 30 green flares and unveiled another banner depicting, 'the monkeys are deid' and, 'Huns RIP'. We were told then about the need for both Fire Officer and Match Commander rep' to okay banners before display. It came out this had occurred the night before, a couple of dozen members of the GB had been allowed into Hampden the evening before, to prepare both displays.

There was an attempt to do Rangers for the supports songs last year, it fizzled out quickly because of the GB's time to prepare revelations. The Lord Advocate let it be known, one of the sources was Cosgrove on BBC Scotland, that he was NOT interested in pursuing anyone on the useage of the H term. Further, last week, Cosgrove was banging on about missing something because he was working for the Scottish Government. He stated he was attending an all day seminar at Hampden on Hate Crime. Combine this with the lunches he has had with the Lord Advocate, and I suspect our club and support have trouble brewing.

Rather a large banner to smuggle in is it not?

They're usually in sections.

Big 'image' type banners have to have fire certs and are usually stored in bags so have to be brought through approved entrances. Message roll banners are usually in sections, disposable and often smuggled in via rucksacks and or under clothing through normal turnstiles.

Frankie,

Remember, the Green Brigade had quite an elaborate display? The coffin banner, the four horsemen, Rangers date of founding, culminating in 'Huns RIP'. At half time, they lit 30 green flares and unveiled another banner depicting, 'the monkeys are deid' and, 'Huns RIP'. We were told then about the need for both Fire Officer and Match Commander rep' to okay banners before display. It came out this had occurred the night before, a couple of dozen members of the GB had been allowed into Hampden the evening before, to prepare both displays.

There was an attempt to do Rangers for the supports songs last year, it fizzled out quickly because of the GB's time to prepare revelations. The Lord Advocate let it be known, one of the sources was Cosgrove on BBC Scotland, that he was NOT interested in pursuing anyone on the useage of the H term. Further, last week, Cosgrove was banging on about missing something because he was working for the Scottish Government. He stated he was attending an all day seminar at Hampden on Hate Crime. Combine this with the lunches he has had with the Lord Advocate, and I suspect our club and support have trouble brewing.

Don't get me wrong. Someone is playing funny buggers with approvals for the larger image banners but for the message rolls, some will have been smuggled in and/or the display content changed in situ - possibly after approval for something different.

Quite often displays are approved by email rather than proper checks. The police only make a nominal effort pre-game are are easily distracted.

Frankie,

This is why I wanted a high profile CEO who would go after these people & organisations as and when required. Nothing against Stewart Robertson but that doesn't seem to be his style.

We need to remember that our enemies who wanted us out of business altogether in 2012 are still out there doing whatever they can to undermine Rangers and its support. We must all remain vigilant

What a lot of Rangers fans don't seem to realise is that if all the sectarian crap is about getting it up them, then being squeeky clean in this regard would piss them off even more.

I don't think there is much dignity in highlighting their sins as it smacks of their obsession with us, but I'd rather fans went down that road if they feel the need to do something with hate, rather than something that brings the club down.

There are songs you just need to tweak the words a bit or we can moving into this century and make some new ones - do people really like singing hymn tunes etc rather than modern tunes from good bands?

too many old women of both sexes in our support.

Give us the Sash and The Billy Boys any time !

I just don't get that sort of thinking (wrt the BB)... "I want to sing what is considered sectarian lyrics so much, I don't give a crap about how much trouble it makes for the club..." If we had more fans with any sense we could have changed the lyrics years ago and still sung the song with impunity.

The Sash has got to be about the sissiest sounding song in football. "Do you like my beautiful sash...?" Cringeworthy. Never once sang that.

I get singing a song to motivate the team, I get a bit of winding up, I can get a bit or sentimentality or a national anthem, or a celebration song, but there's something a bit funny peculiar to me when people take compulsive singing of irrelevant and anachronistic songs so very, very seriously. It's a game of football after all...

Zombies, Huns, Scum ... no matter how you align these words, a half-brained steward or policeman or match commander would have said No. And no amount of explaining the "fun factor" in those words should have changed his/her mind. For, at the end of the day, they might have sparked a riot.

As for the flares: this is supposed to be a highly-charged, high-risk game, where you would expect twice as thorough body checks as usual. Instead, dozens of flares got in at both ends. If anything, the SFA should openly condemn the banners, the flares and find those people holding them and thus responsible. I have about zero tolerance for such behaviour, if it goes on as uncontrolled as it did.

Again, if they let this happen, they set a precedent for all future hun scum banners (and will have enough sheriffs and judges who will take this up every time a Yahoo is in court). Yet, guess what would have happened if there had been any banner with Fenian, *insert an ancient Mongolian people*, or Tim on it? We have been dragged through the mud for years, if not decades now. And now we should go on and accept it at this vile level still? These faux-ultras needs to be tackled, or they will get to the next level.

TBB, IMHO, is beyond debate.

Edited by der Berliner