Gedion..." I'm living the dream..."

Arsenal star open to Emirates exit in order to live ‘the dream’

Posted by Ashley Attlee April 19, 2016

Arsenal star open to Emirates exit in order to live ‘the dream’

Gedion Zelalem is believed to have a bright future at Arsenal, but it seems the youngster is open to a potential Emirates exit at the end of the season, according to the Express.

The 19-year-old has been enjoying an excellent season with Scottish side Rangers, most recently taking part in the Old Firm derby against Celtic. He has spoken about how happy he is at the club, and suggested that he wouldn’t be opposed to making a return there next season.

“Firstly I’m going to go back to pre-season with Arsenal and see how I do there. If it doesn’t work out there then this is another option,” he said.

“I haven’t spoken to the gaffer here yet about it but I’m sure that conversation will come up.

“This is what I wanted in football to play in these types of games and big derbies be it Arsenal v Tottenham or Rangers v Celtic.

“I’m living the dream and I hope to continue to do that.”

He clearly suggests that if he’s given the opportunity then he’ll look to break into the Arsenal team, but with the competition ahead of him that could prove tricky.

Arsene Wenger is known to be a big fan of the teenager, with recent reports suggesting he was planning on giving him the chance to impress with the first team next season (via The Telegraph). If that doesn’t work out for him then we could see Zelalem move away from Arsenal on a more permanent basis, which at his age would be a real shame.

There have been suggestions that he doesn’t have the physical build to compete in the Premier League, but at just 19 there’s plenty of time for him to improve his physique. He’s definitely got the technical ability that Wenger looks for in a midfielder, so hopefully he grabs the chance he’s apparently set to be given next season.

He is a talent but he needs to learn to burst a gut to defend after losing the ball. I was pissed off with him on Sunday for strolling back after we lost the ball. I don't see him getting in to the Arsenal team next season so he may be back

Looking back on the season and comparing him to others in the squad he hasn't set my expectations on fire one bit.

When he stepped up next to take that pen my hopes dropped tbh...he put my worries to bed with an excellent cool finish, but it doesn't really change much about what I really think of him.

He's only 19 I accept, but I've seen better 19 year old's wearing the shirt in my time.

If he does come back next season he'll have my backing of course, he needs to improve much more though before I say he's a special talent.

He certainly has many flaws, physique and work-rate being first among them, but he has the raw talent and technical ability. The former can be taught and/or will come with time, the latter cannot.

I'd be delighted to get him back next year. Even if he is just a squad player, he gives us control in the middle of the park.