The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

Only going by the short video evidence. Positive he always looks available. Negative, I don't think I saw many forward passes. A poor man's Zelalem?

Only going by the short video evidence. Positive he always looks available. Negative, I don't think I saw many forward passes. A poor man's Zelalem?

Exactly what I was thinking watching the video...:(

In the video I saw he made quite a few forward passes -- Carrick-esque (I'm not comparing them) -- but it's difficult to gauge a player from a short video clip. For what it's worth, I think he's similar to Zelalem, but is more defensively sound.

Edited by Rousseau

Rossitter well worth a punt at 250k. Need to move fast before the yahoos coming sniffing around.

If the lad watched the SC semi there is only one side of the OF he would even consider playing for....

Make of this what you will.

Presentation day v Alloa and the team are doing their lap of honour with the trophy. Thompson is suited and booted walking round the ground in what seems is his own little world kind of oblivious to what's actually going on round about him. A young lassie circa 16 shouts profusely "JORDAN,JORDAN,JORDAN............" and gets no response. Her friend says "Forget it you'll get him later" to which to which the first lassie replies "He won't be here next season."

He's still well thought of at the Club though. I met him in March and he seems a very quiet, somewhat introverted lad. Might, only might, be why he was like that with the young lassie.

When was England and Liverpool youth (captain) "poorer" than an Arsenal youth player?

When was England and Liverpool youth (captain) "poorer" than an Arsenal youth player?

You do realise what you have said there, right ?

1. The kid's nationality has little to do with his talent

2. Being captain has nothing to do with technical or tactical ability. It says more about leadership qualities - and last I checked we don't need a new captain

3. BOTH of them are youth players

4. Both have played for their senior teams

5. Zelalem has more 1st team experience (thanks to us) than Rossiter

I can see why some would say he is a poor man's Zelalem. It is a touch unfair to say it but Zelalem, to me, looks more cultured on the ball. But that is having seen next to nothing of Rossiter.

The way you phrase your question is to say that he shouldn't be called poorer than Zelalem simply because a) he is English b) he plays with Liverpool and c) because he was their captain. None of which prove he is either poorer OR stronger.

The biggest difference (for us) between the two is that Rossiter would be our player, owned by us and having cost just 250k whilst Zelalem is someone else's player. At 250k on a 19 yr old playing for Liverpool I personally think that is fantastic value for money. Even if he doesn't work out the chances are we more than recoup the outlay. If he doesn't work out and we have to release him.... 250k is very little to have lost on a speculative punt

In the video I saw he made quite a few forward passes -- Carrick-esque (I'm not comparing them) -- but it's difficult to gauge a player from a short video clip. For what it's worth, I think he's similar to Zelalem, but is more defensively sound.

I totally agree you can't judge on a few 5 minute video's but the fact that there were not a lot of forward passes just jumped out for me. If he is going to be more defensive then that is great that he wins the ball and passes it on to the people who play the football. Jan Wouters is another good example of that sort of player.

I totally agree you can't judge on a few 5 minute video's but the fact that there were not a lot of forward passes just jumped out for me. If he is going to be more defensive then that is great that he wins the ball and passes it on to the people who play the football. Jan Wouters is another good example of that sort of player.

I don't think there is much doubt pete that we need a more defensive minded midfielder - a Stuart McCall type - a ball winner who wins tackles, is physical and will then give it to the flair players. This would also allow Halliday to play further forward. Whether Rossiter is that player only time will tell.... if we even get him.

But at 250k for a Liverpool 19 yr old that is a fairly inexpensive punt.

You do realise what you have said there, right ?

My sarcastic self just said: "No! I usually don't think when writing something."

1. The kid's nationality has little to do with his talent

2. Being captain has nothing to do with technical or tactical ability. It says more about leadership qualities - and last I checked we don't need a new captain

3. BOTH of them are youth players

4. Both have played for their senior teams

5. Zelalem has more 1st team experience (thanks to us) than Rossiter

I can see why some would say he is a poor man's Zelalem. It is a touch unfair to say it but Zelalem, to me, looks more cultured on the ball. But that is having seen next to nothing of Rossiter.

The way you phrase your question is to say that he shouldn't be called poorer than Zelalem simply because a) he is English b) he plays with Liverpool and c) because he was their captain. None of which prove he is either poorer OR stronger.

The biggest difference (for us) between the two is that Rossiter would be our player, owned by us and having cost just 250k whilst Zelalem is someone else's player. At 250k on a 19 yr old playing for Liverpool I personally think that is fantastic value for money. Even if he doesn't work out the chances are we more than recoup the outlay. If he doesn't work out and we have to release him.... 250k is very little to have lost on a speculative punt

Well, I can't tell you how you shall read my question nor can I assume how anyone perceives it. For all your minute detailing of the ifs and buts and whatnots, there are just a few things important:

From what we know he's played for England at various youth levels and probably for a reason.

From what we know he's played as the Liverpool youth captain (or that is what I read), and probably for a reason.

He gets glowing reports from those who have seen him, and probably for a reason.

We have seen very little of him in person though.

NOTHING of the above degrades Zelalem or belittles his nationality, ability etc.

But how can one say that he looks like a poor man's Zelalem without having actually seen him? That was the crux of my question. (And no, I won't go on debating this for debates sake.)

Edited by der Berliner