The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

MARK WARBURTON is hoping it will not be too long before he is able to add a few new names to his squad for next season, with the manager saying the club is ‘very close now on two or three very good recruits’.

On a near daily basis it seems Rangers are linked with a different transfer target, which goes with the territory at this time of year.

But while Warburton is focused on his side’s Scottish Cup Final showdown against Hibs on May 21, he admits the hunt for new players continues with lots of groundwork already put in.

He said: “It’s just an on-going process, people throw a hundred names and hope that one or two might stick, which I find quite bizarre.

“It’s very different up north than it is down south, that’s for sure. But the work’s been getting done now for a number of weeks.

“Frank McParland [Rangers’ Head of Recruitment] is in my mind the best in the business, and a lot of work had been done between myself and Stewart Robertson and Andrew Dickson.

A lot of work has been done at this point and we’re very close now on two or three very good recruits.

“We know what we need, we know the areas we need to strengthen, we know we have a good core to the squad now, but there is no doubt that going to the next level where – if hopefully all goes well against Hibs with European football as well – that we have to make sure we have the strength and depth.

“So we run the risk this year, we knew what we were doing in terms of a lean squad, but we must never lose sight of the fact that every player must see a pathway to the first team.

“If we get that wrong then I think the unity of the group will suffer.”

When asked if he will wait until after the Scottish Cup Final before adding new faces to his squad, the manager responded: “No, the works going on, whenever it happens it happens.

“Obviously the focus will be on the Cup final but that doesn’t mean we can’t multitask, my wife keeps telling me! But we have to multitask and we have to make sure that the recruitment angle is really focused upon.

“We’ll do as much work as early as possible. The Euros will impact it, the Euros mean that a lot of people go shopping early and to use that term, ‘the shelves will be bare’.

“So we have to make sure we get them in as early as possible, ideally the permanent signing back here for June 18.”

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/closing-in-on-targets/

I actually like all the transfer rumours,aye most of them are pish!,but I find it entertaining:)

Same here...

From NEWSNOW:

So according to many press reports both north and south of the border, Rangers are on the verge of signing highly rated young midfielder Jordan Rossiter from Liverpool.

The Scottish Championship winners will have to pay the English Premier League side just £250k in compensation, which is far less than the projected £8m it may have cost an English side to sign the nineteen year old.

Rossiter has many fans on Merseyside. Former Reds boss Brendan Rodgers really liked his style and said at the start of this campaign that he wasn’t willing to let the youngster go out on loan because he viewed Jordan as a member of his first team squad.

Rodgers would go on and give Rossiter valuable outings in the Europa League and handed him his Premier League debut against Arsenal back in August.

Liverpool legend and Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher has often said that he’s been ‘impressed’ with Rossiter too.

So it might seem odd that Liverpool would let the youngsters contract run down.

But a deal was supposedly on the table but terms couldn’t be agreed. Many think that Liverpool played a waiting game with Rossiter in the hope he’d lower his wage demands. The thinking behind it being that no other English side would be willing to pay the large compensation required to take his registration papers. It was a tactic that worked previously for Liverpool as left-back Brad Smith re-signed for the club after failing to find a new employer willing to pay Liverpool a considerable compensation package in the summer of 2015.

The fact that the holding midfielder has struggled all season with hamstring injuries also meant that Liverpool would believe that they held all the cards in the contract negotiations.

But obviously Rangers aren’t an English club, so the same rules don’t apply for them.

Derek McParland is head of recruitment for Rangers and he previously held a similar role for Liverpool. So he’s well connected to know what’s happening at Anfield and act swiftly to persuade Rossiter to head to Glasgow.

Rossiter is a smart holding player, who shields his defence well and can pass the ball away from danger. Don’t believe the ‘Next Steven Gerrard’ hype, that all came about because he was a scrawny, passionate, Scouser who can play in the middle of the park and had a similar hairstyle to a young Gerrard.

He’s more of a tenacious deep-laying type, similar to a Jordy Claise or a Marco Verratti. A composed midfield-marshall who can play the ball with either foot and who seems to play with his head on a constant swivel either looking for the next pass or to sniff out danger.

The England youth international certainly fits the bill in terms of a player right for the Mark Warburton project at Ibrox.

But could their be a wee bit more to this transfer than meets the eye? (spoiler this is when I go a bit Mulder and Scully).

Back in December, Rossiter was being linked with a move to Man City and more interestingly to Tottenham Hotspur.

Now we all know that Warburton enjoys a strong relationship with Spurs. He took Nathan Oduwa and Dominic Ball on loan from the Premier League runners up at the start of this season. The Gers gaffer was in London visiting Tottenham in March as he watched over their next batch of young stars.

A lot of the press have speculated that a Spurs side would take on Rangers in a closed doors friendly this month to help the Glasgow giants prepare for their Scottish Cup final date on the 21st of May.

So could it be conceivable that Spurs have said to Rangers ‘Why don’t you sign Rossiter and we will put in a first refusal clause’?

Think about it.

Spurs would buy the clause for £250k, that covers the fee Rangers will pay Liverpool. They will then allow Warburton to use Rossiter for a season or two and get the midfielder fit and ready for first team football in the Premier League and then buy him for a £5m fee.

That means they don’t pay Liverpool the £8m compensation fee.

It wouldn’t be the first time that Tottenham had done something like that either.

Back in 2012 Spurs wanted young defender Zeki Fryers from Man United but the two couldn’t agree to a compensation agreement. Belgian side Standard Liege stepped in and signed the England under-nineteen international for a nominal fee.

Six months later, Fryers would end up signing for Tottenham for around £900k, after complaining of feeling homesick.

The whole saga left then Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson furious.

Fergie said:

“I am disappointed in Tottenham, I really am. I think it has been a blatant manipulation of the situation. They tried to buy him from us at the end of last season but we couldn’t agree terms. They then took him on trial and took him to Portugal with the squad and came back and said that they couldn’t afford him. And then all of a sudden he signed for Standard Liège and at that moment in time, when I heard that, I expected him to go to Tottenham in the January window.

“I’m disappointed in Tottenham. The Premier League should look into it and I think they should stop the registration until they examine it. There will be a trail, mobile phone [records] or something. It is obvious to me [what has happened].”

So maybe just maybe London might be Jordan Roster’s final destination after a spell in Govan.

Whatever the full story, Rangers will have done extremely well to tempt a highly rated young player to leave the English Premier League to join them in the Scottish Premiership. Hopefully Jordan Rossiter can stay fit and prove that he can reach his potential in Scotland.

But just keep an eye out on where he goes after Rangers.

£5M in a couple of years? :celebrate:

http://www.thefootyblog.net/2016/05/09/is-jordan-rossiter-signing-for-rangers-or-spurs/?

Edited by Bearman
Inserting link

9th May, 2016, 6:34 PM

By Tottenham correspondent Tony Hughes

Tottenham have expressed an interest in Liverpool midfielder Jordan Rossiter, Football Insider sources understand.

The 19-year-old Anfield Academy graduate is set to open talks with Rangers this week after indicating he is keen to join the Scottish giants.

But a well-placed Spurs source has told Football Insider the club have made a late attempt to beat the Scottish giants to the signing of the teenager.

However, the Londoners fear that Rossiter’s potential move to Ibrox is too far advanced for him to make a U-turn.

Negotiations with the player are set to take place over the coming days to formalise his deal with Rangers.

It would be in Liverpool interests for Rossiter to move to another English club as they would be able to claim compensation for a player they are said to rate in the £8million bracket.

But because Rossiter is out of contract at the end of the season he is able to exploit a FIFA loophole allowing him to join a club outside of England for just £250,000.

The Liverpool Echo report that the Scottish giants contacted the Merseysiders on Friday afternoon to ask for permission to officially approach the midfielder.

Rangers have been given indications that Rossiter has made up his mind to move north of the border and play in the Scottish Premiership next season.

Sources have told Football Insider that Rangers are said to be confident that the teenager will be their first signing of the summer as manager Mark Warburton prepares the team for life back in the top flight next season.

Warburton has made it clear that he wants the newly promoted club to sign up to eight new players this summer as he strengthens the squad.

Rangers’ head of recruitment Frank McParland, the former Liverpool Academy director, is a big admirer of the tough-tackling midfielder and provided a glowing endorsement to Warburton.

The England Under-19s international has been forced to weigh up his options in recent months with no new contract on the table.

According to the Echo, Liverpool did belatedly offer him an extension but that was largely to ensure that they would be able to claim a compensation fee if he left.

Rossiter, who joined the Liverpool Academy at the age of six and grew up in Everton Valley, was handed his debut in a League Cup tie aged 17 and made five appearances in total for the first team.

But there has been no indication he figures in Jurgen Klopp’s plans in a campaign in which the youngsters have been handed lots of first-team chances due to the team’s gruelling fixture list and various injury problems.

http://www.footballinsider247.com/tottenham-make-late-bid-to-hijack-rangers-swoop-for-liverpool-midfielder/

Edited by ian1964

Liverpool youngster Jordan Rossiter on verge of signing four-year deal at Rangers

Rangers are close to completing the signing of Liveprool's Jordan Rossiter

The former Reds Under-19s captain is one of the Ibrox side's top targets

Midfielder Rossiter is expected to sign a four-year contract in Glasgow

Liverpool will be due a £250,000 development fee as part of any deal

By John Mcgarry For The Scottish Daily Mail

Published: 00:08, 10 May 2016 | Updated: 00:08, 10 May 2016

Jordan Rossiter is on the brink of signing a four-year deal with Rangers after finally deciding to quit Liverpool for Glasgow.

As Sportsmail first revealed last week, the former Anfield Under-19s captain topped Ibrox manager Mark Warburton's summer wish-list.

The teenager had also been attracting interest from Udinese, Tottenham and Manchester City but was persuaded to look at what Rangers had to offer by head of recruitment Frank McParland.

Rossiter was given a tour of Ibrox and Murray Park over the weekend and, having listened to Warburton's vision of the future, agreed to discuss personal terms.

Those negotiations have almost been concluded and Rangers hope to parade the player in the coming days with a £250,000 development fee heading towards Merseyside.

Liverpool-born Rossiter had made three first-team appearances for his boyhood heroes since graduating from the club's academy but a lack of competitive football had seen him stall on signing a new contract.

That alerted McParland who moved swiftly by recommending the player to Warburton, with the Rangers manager informing his board he saw Rossiter as being key to Rangers challenging for the Premiership title next season.

Rossiter came under Liverpool's wing aged just six and made his debut for the Under-18s on his 15th birthday.

A promotion to the Under-19s for a NextGen game against Inter Milan prompted Anfield icon Robbie Fowler to compare him to Steven Gerrard.

Although he made his debut in a League Cup tie against Middlesbrough two years ago and followed that up with a substitute appearance against Arsenal in the Premier League this season and a Europa League run-out against Bordeaux, the England Under-19s player has rarely featured under Jurgen Klopp.

Rangers believed the chance to play regularly in the top flight of Scottish football as well as a possible European adventure might yet swing the deal in their favour and that faith looks like being rewarded with a significant signing coup.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3581918/Liverpool-youngster-Jordan-Rossiter-verge-signing-four-year-deal-Rangers.html#ixzz48CkPXfZ7

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

As long as it's as high as £5m I would be happy but not £900k

That being said I don't think it's true as Spurs have winks for that position for me a better prospect

amounts are meaningless really

we paid 65K for Holt and half a million for MOH