The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

Friday was a 19 year old scouser and now Saturday has a 33 year old scouser knocking at the door.

For a number of reasons can't say I'm too keen on Barton but the present football operations success rate re. signings makes you have doubts about your own doubts.

I don't think it will happen as he would still want big wages. I really don't like Barton and he's past his best as a player IMO but IF he did come I would trust the manager. It wouldl be a bit like Ian Black signing for us, not many fans liked him or thought he was good enough but most did support him, to start with anyway!

I don't think it will happen as he would still want big wages. I really don't like Barton and he's past his best as a player IMO but IF he did come I would trust the manager. It wouldl be a bit like Ian Black signing for us, not many fans liked him or thought he was good enough but most did support him, to start with anyway!

Last season Barton was voted as best player in a team that earned direct promotion to the EPL, so regardless of character the player comes with recent pedigree.

In Frank McParland we have a man who knows Barton and probably helped bring him in at Burnley and watched the player be successful.

Rangers have made a move to sign Burnley midfielder Joey Barton on a free transfer this summer.

The 33-year-old was shown round the club's Auchenhowie training ground on Saturday. Talks will continue and a deal could be imminent.

Barton was named in the Championship team of the season as Burnley secured the title.

He has yet to agree a new deal with Burnley and could be tempted by a longer term contract at Ibrox.

Rangers manager Mark Warburton is keen to add some experience and character to his squad in preparation for their return to the Premiership.

Barton, who won one England cap, was named player of the year at Burnley this season.

The former Manchester City, Newcastle, QPR and Marseille player joined the club when Frank McParland was the sporting director.

McParland is now head of recruitment at Ibrox, and will be an influential figure as Barton weighs up his options.

The transfer runs counter to Rangers' recruitment strategy of signing players with the potential to develop and rise in value.

But Barton is a player McParland knows well and Warburton prefers to sign individuals whose nature and character he is already aware of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36293572

Last season Barton was voted as best player in a team that earned direct promotion to the EPL, so regardless of character the player comes with recent pedigree.

In Frank McParland we have a man who knows Barton and probably helped bring him in at Burnley and watched the player be successful.

I just don't think he's worth all the off the field hassle that comes with him and what wages would he be on, £20K+ I'd say.

Decent player but I hope we don't get him!