The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

If the manager thinks he can do a job and apparently Davie Moyes thinks he can do a job in the EPL far less the SPL then i'm up for it. Aside from everything else he brings some much needed height into the equation at 6ft 3in and that's even before we get the 6ft 5in Crooks into it.

I will go with the knowledge and judgement of Moyes ahead of the chatter of Sunderland fans.

Guys on the SAFC forum are concerned about him being linked to them. :eek:

Comments like "No chance, he is totally shot!" and "Lescott is too old, too slow and a shadow of his former self!" are common.

I trust Warburton's judgement though. :thup:

We also have to remember that, sadly, the expectations of ANY EPL team on signings would be greater than ours. The standard of player is also vastly different

Are Villa paying him his full wage for this season with us paying nowt anybody?

Also we are giving him a 2 year contract, wonder what the second year will cost us?

I suspect that we will be paying him wages from the off - but him signing for us and getting lesser wages will have been softened by the fact Villa will also still be paying him

We also have to remember that, sadly, the expectations of ANY EPL team on signings would be greater than ours. The standard of player is also vastly different

Obviously the gap in quality of the EPL and the Premiership is not in question, and although I know very little about the player, even when he was in his prime, I suspect he'll be better than anything we've seen all across the defensive line at Ibrox for over the past 5 years or so.

He was probably disinterested because Villa were already relegated and his own team fans wanted to have a square-go with him. It would be a struggle for anyone to motivate themselves under such circumstances

He has been going through a frankly horrific ordeal there and professional or not as you say how could anyone motivate themselves under a barrage like the following headline from Aston Villa News?

Why Joleon Lescott deserves to be the most hated Aston Villa player of all time

Yeah that will motivate him as they were no doubt abusing him every time he touched the ball.

It's not strange in the slightest.

We cannot afford to spend more and the guy seems to have a decent record at a price-point we can afford. Until we have European football again (and some normalised contracts such as retail) then we simply don't have the budget to spend millions on a more 'proven' Jelavic or Sinclair type.

The guy is 28 and if we get four good years out of him then circa £1.5m isn't a bad deal; especially if he can help as attain said European group stage football.

I think you've misunderstood my point.

How Lescott fared in the EPL last season is irrelevant. Most of the players he will face next season will be about two or three divisions worse than that at least.

I think it's difficult to read anything into the supposed performance of any individual player who was in a team that finished bottom of the league 17 points behind second bottom Norwich. That alone suggests to me it would have been irrelevant how he performed.

What may be more relevant at this point is that an EPL team has registered an interest in him suggesting that their experienced manager who is managing a team that will likely be focusing on a defensive strategy thinks he can still do a job in that league. That being the case he can certainly do a job in our league.

What may be more relevant at this point is that an EPL team has registered an interest in him suggesting that their experienced manager who is managing a team that will likely be focusing on a defensive strategy thinks he can still do a job in that league.

If you look at Sunderland's fans forum (don't bother yourself mate :) it appears Lescott was linked with Sunderland because he was an ex-player under manager David Moyes. Apparently every single player linked to the Black Cats are ex-players. So far...and I can't confirm, he has already signed 3 from days gone by, Man U I believe.

So Lescott was never going there, it was all media speculation because he was available.