The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

Whilst agree on the "not easing new players in" argument I'm still confused at how many want to throw Garner straight in (not aimed at you particularly tbh) - why would we throw Garner straight in when we have Dodoo as an option who has shown good movement, good touch and also has scored a couple of goals ???

Why the need to feel we have to throw Garner straight in ? I feel that Dodoo has done enough to be given his chance ahead of Garner AND Miller (although Miller's goal last week was a peach).

I think to win this league we need to play our strongest team as often as possible and for me he comes in as our best option through the middle (with Waggy on the right). All good headaches for the gaffer to have. I'd stick Lescott in straight away if he's fit. Looking forward to Sat now

It's not strange in the slightest.

We cannot afford to spend more and the guy seems to have a decent record at a price-point we can afford. Until we have European football again (and some normalised contracts such as retail) then we simply don't have the budget to spend millions on a more 'proven' Jelavic or Sinclair type.

The guy is 28 and if we get four good years out of him then circa £1.5m isn't a bad deal; especially if he can help as attain said European group stage football.

The only thing about that is that he might help get us there but HE is unlikely to be good enough to make an impact in Europe.

I think to win this league we need to play our strongest team as often as possible and for me he comes in as our best option through the middle (with Waggy on the right). All good headaches for the gaffer to have. I'd stick Lescott in straight away if he's fit. Looking forward to Sat now

Have you seen much of Garner ? I'm only asking because I haven't, therefore from what I have personally witnessed I think Dodoo deserves his chance. Happy to be proven wrong with a Garner hat-trick mind you. But I also want to see Dodoo given significant game time as he seems to just have that "something" about him.

I wouldn't even hesitate to throw Lescott in the team.

Reliably informed Barton is on £18,000 /week.

Given it was a free transfer that isn't as high as it could otherwise have been. I think it proves that Barton isn't here just for the money, he would have been getting more at Burnley I suspect.

The only thing about that is that he might help get us there but HE is unlikely to be good enough to make an impact in Europe.

To be honest I'm not that fussed by Europe at this point - the ONLY thing that matters to me is that we actually GET into Europe - preferably by knocking Celtic off their perch. If Garner can help achieve that then all is good in the world. Scotland is a footballing backwater - achieving anything in Europe by ANY of our teams is unlikely any time soon, despite Celtic being a shoo-in for the group stages, which ironically could help us in terms of winning the league as they contemplate getting pumped 6 times in the CL and missing out on the Europa parachute :thup:

getting Lescott significantly improves our chances of winning the league.

If Garner turns out to bring his League one prolific stats and not his Championship ones then I think that we have much to be confident about this season.

Well, we don't know that. Any number of players can struggle in one competition but do well in another. Look at Griffiths for an example; struggled in England but doing the business for Celtic doimesitcally and in Europe. Conversely, we had Gascoigne and Laudrup who were never all that great for us in Europe but brilliant domestically and internationally.

In any case, if he does help us attain Euro football, we'll be buying new players on the money from it and we do need players to get us there at a price we can afford.

Given it was a free transfer that isn't as high as it could otherwise have been. I think it proves that Barton isn't here just for the money, he would have been getting more at Burnley I suspect.

Less than £2m over the two years isn't a bad outlay for such an experienced and quality midfield player.