The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

Rangers face competition from Sunderland to bring Joleon Lescott to Ibrox

That puts a different complexion on it, if it's all about money then we can't compete. Though Warburton is a persuasive man and this thing with Villa fans which has apparently gone as far as him being challenged to fights may have sickened him off the EPL. And according to this article Trabzonspor are allegedly preparing bids for both Tavernier and Halliday but goes on to say that neither are thought to be interested in going to Turkey.

DAVID MOYES is believed to be interested in re-uniting with defender Lescott as Warburton holds talks with the Villa man in England.

MARK WARBURTON made a dash across the border yesterday in a bid to talk Joleon Lescott into snubbing Sunderland for Rangers.

Record Sport revealed online that the Ibrox boss had flown out of Glasgow airport to hold face-to-face talks with the 34-year-old former England defender, with both men meeting in Manchester late yesterday afternoon.

And now we understand a rival offer from big paying Premiership outfit Sunderland is the reason Warburton was so desperate to conduct the talks in person.

A source said: “Warburton is well aware of the interest from Sunderland which is why he was so keen to travel south to have a proper conversation with Joleon, man to man.

“It’s obviously difficult for a club with Rangers’ resources to be competing for players against English Premier League clubs but sometimes the little things make a big difference. Clearly, Warburton wants to show Lescott how highly he is valued and how important he would be to the Rangers side.”

Warburton is attempting to convince the 34-year-old to kick-start his career in Glasgow after being relegated from the Premier League with Aston Villa last season amid a storm of controversy.

Yesterdays talks came as Preston’s Joe Garner was travelling in the opposite direction after manager Simon Grayson backed down from his initial decision to force the striker to lead his side’s attack in a Championship clash with Derby last night. Instead, Garner was given the green light to head up the M74 to undergo a medical and complete a £1.8m move.

But Warburton wasn’t there to welcome him to the club’s training complex after hopping on a short flight south to open talks with former £22m Manchester City stopper Lescott.

The veteran has been told he can leave Villa on a free transfer after a stormy end to last season’s disastrous top flight campaign.

Lescott infuriated Villa’s long suffering support by tweeting a photo of his luxury supercar just moments after playing in a 6-0 defeat against Liverpool . He was then ridiculed for insisting the pic was posted by accident from the mobile phone in his trouser pocket. He later compounded this and sealed his own fate at Villa Park by describing the club’s relegation as a ‘weight off the shoulders’.

As well as a possible move to Sunderland Lescott is thought to have a number of possible alternative destinations across England’s second tier. But Warburton hopes to persuade the defender to rebuild his reputation in Scotland.

Former Arsenal centre half Phillippe Senderos - who began a week long trial at Auchenhowie yesterday - is believed to be one of Warburton’s possible back-up plans should he fail to succeed in talking Lescott into moving north.

Meanwhile, Turks Trabzonspor are this week expected to bid for Ibrox stars James Tavernier and Andy Halliday. However, sources close to the pair say neither is interested in leaving Glasgow this summer.

With players like Lescott it is all about winning silverware and for a club of great standing than earning a final golden handshake from an English low-key side (no disrespect to Sunderland). If he was on 45k a week and probably for most of the last 5 years or more, he should have enough money in the bank to look at more than just money.

It should impress a player if a manager (rather than someone else) comes down and speaks to you in person.

With players like Lescott it is all about winning silverware and for a club of great standing than earning a final golden handshake from an English low-key side (no disrespect to Sunderland). If he was on 45k a week and probably for most of the last 5 years or more, he should have enough money in the bank to look at more than just money.

It should impress a player if a manager (rather than someone else) comes down and speaks to you in person.

In addition to that Villa are apparently paying him in full for the remaining year of his contract so there's a tidy little sum for a pension fund.

Joe Garner looks set to complete his move to Rangers within the next 24 hours and Preston boss Simon Grayson has been having his say on the loss of the Lilywhite’s main man.

oe has been a fantastic servant for Preston and is a fans’ favourite, so the supporters will be disappointed to see him go.

But he is not the first fans’ favourite to leave a football club and this club has to move on.

Without questions, there will be additions before the window shuts, while contracts of existing players will be extended over the next few days, I’m sure of that.

The money we will get for Joe and his wages – if it goes through – will be used to improve the squad for this season, next season and beyond that.

If it goes through, I thank Joe for what he has done here, he has been a friend and a fantastic footballer.

If all these signings come off you have to wonder if there were will be any loans coming in this year. When a team send a player on loan they want him to play and the way things are shaping up so far they would have to be exceptional to get any worthwhile pitch time in our team.

Lescott was a good player at Everton and the big money move to Man City never really worked. He had a hard time at West Brom and Villa was a disaster last season. He didn't help himself with his silly social media photos and comments. His best days are well behind him and I don't see him as a Davie Weir kind of defence organiser. In addition, he is another left footer. That means that Wilson, Hill and Lescott are all left footed, leaving Kiernan as our only right footed CD. For the life of me, I cant think of a single Central defence partnership that comprised two left footed players (not just Rangers, any club at any time). Plenty of brilliant right footed partnerships but cant recall two left footed central defenders combining for any length of time. I don't know why this is, just seems unbalanced.

I would suggest that the reason you don't see too many left footed CB partnerships is because left footers aren't nearly as common as right footers.

However, you kind of answer your own question when you say that you have seen plenty of brilliant right-footed partnerships - this, to me, simply suggests that CB partnerships CAN be successful even when you have two players predominantly one-sided (right foot). That proves that you can have the same with two left-footed CB's. You just don't see it because left footed players aren't as common.

You see, you spun off a nice debate about Barton being more "top notch" than Senderos. In your opinion (sic!). Apparently, you knew what my opinion on "top notch" was from the off and disregarded mine even after clearing it up. Instead you helped yourself to another "moving sticks" debate, which is one way of leading a debate. Thereafter you essentially said that Barton is more top notch because of playing in the EPL much more than Senderos, but quite simply disregarding for whom and at what level. Something I addressed in my last post. There are hundreds of players with hundreds of games for EPL sides that will never be regarded as "top notch" elsewhere, as the opinion on that status differ. But that doesn't matter to you, since you brushed it all away with a cleansing "moving goalpost" argument. Which essentially placing your opinion over mine. And to top it all off, instead of accepting any clarification (regarding the initial post, Senderos and Barton's "standing") to make it a more healthy debate, you refer to back-peddling and holes rather than anything else.

Well, does it get much more close and personal? I'm not sure to whom you are thinking you are talking to? From half a handful of debates with differing opinions you appear to have enough knowledge of me to start lecturing me on life? On a message board? After apparently lacking any sort of will to argue on a decent level in this very thread?

We can agree to disagree, but there - with all due respect - it should end.

If you see any need to carry this on, you can switch to PM.

I wont bother switching to PM. Feel free to just find the ignore button for me.

The nonsense you are peddling is cringe-worthy.

Final word on the actual debate. If you think that Senderos is more of a "name" than Barton then I suggest that you don't know as much about football as you think you do.

And with that I am done on this discussion with you.