The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

To put things into consideration with the Joe Garner transfer, in the last 8 years we have only spent as much as this twice and that was Lee Wallace and Nikica Jelavic. And only one other player has had a + £1 million price tag (James Beattie).

Us spending this sort of money is like Chelsea or Man Utd paying £50 million on someone. It's a very strange choice for us to make in my opinion.

It's not strange in the slightest.

We cannot afford to spend more and the guy seems to have a decent record at a price-point we can afford. Until we have European football again (and some normalised contracts such as retail) then we simply don't have the budget to spend millions on a more 'proven' Jelavic or Sinclair type.

The guy is 28 and if we get four good years out of him then circa £1.5m isn't a bad deal; especially if he can help as attain said European group stage football.

He may well start but I just think it's more likely he'll come off the bench. Miller scored last weekend so I'm not sure he'll be dropped immediately.

I agree he'll be on the bench but I never get this easing new players in. The boys fitter and probably a better option than Kenny. I reckon the Motherwell defence will be happier seeing Kennys name on the team sheet. I defo see Kennys role now as impact from the bench. He has been a terrific servant though

To put things into consideration with the Joe Garner transfer, in the last 8 years we have only spent as much as this twice and that was Lee Wallace and Nikica Jelavic. And only one other player has had a + £1 million price tag (James Beattie).

Us spending this sort of money is like Chelsea or Man Utd paying £50 million on someone. It's a very strange choice for us to make in my opinion.

Football has moved on at quite a pace over the last 8 years.

You've also picked an opportune cut off point.

The price does seem high but the market drives prices.

I agree he'll be on the bench but I never get this easing new players in. The boys fitter and probably a better option than Kenny. I reckon the Motherwell defence will be happier seeing Kennys name on the team sheet. I defo see Kennys role now as impact from the bench. He has been a terrific servant though

I think the way we play can make it harder for new players to gel immediately into the system and with Miller and Dodoo both scoring goals in the last games they started, there's no need to chuck a new player in right away. However, FWIW, I don't think the manager will hesitate if the lad is fit and ready.

Whilst agree on the "not easing new players in" argument I'm still confused at how many want to throw Garner straight in (not aimed at you particularly tbh) - why would we throw Garner straight in when we have Dodoo as an option who has shown good movement, good touch and also has scored a couple of goals ???

Why the need to feel we have to throw Garner straight in ? I feel that Dodoo has done enough to be given his chance ahead of Garner AND Miller (although Miller's goal last week was a peach).

Football has moved on at quite a pace over the last 8 years.

You've also picked an opportune cut off point.

The price does seem high but the market drives prices.

I can see where SBS is coming from if you consider it is yet another English signing where we all know the market is over-heated.

However, to look at some things in perspective here :

- Yes, Garner didn't score many in the Championship - but many PNE fans said that was because he was a victim of their playing style rather than him not being able to cut it (admittedly some said he isn't Championship quality too....)

- He scored for fun in League One - by comparison, Griffiths scored one goal in League one and look what he has done at Celtic with decent service - no reason to think that Garner may not provide the same for us.

- 1.5 million looks like an expensive acquisition but the reality here is that the prices in football have gone absolutely mental. 12 million for Ross McCormack for example, another Championship striker... whilst 1.5 million is a lot for us it is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things.

- Wages. You also have to factor in wages - you may be able to get lucky and pick a player up free, or at a massive discount as their current club want rid. But the wages on offer in England are obscene - so you also need to be able to secure someone that wont bankrupt you.

SBS, I'm not sure you can say it is a strange decision until you actually know what we are getting, unless of course you have seen him play. I personally have never seen him play and I also don't buy into youtube clips (the one of Sebo is all the proof you need to not trust those !!) - so, as per usual, I just wait until I see him play and then make my own informed decision from what I have seen. An example of this would be signing Windass from Accrington Stanley - many Rangers fans, including some on here, said that signing League 2 players wont help us win the league - but from everything I have seen of Windass so far, it looks to me like we have won a watch with the kid - his touch, movement, pace, hitting space at the right time, being direct against an opponent all make me think that he has a very bright future ahead of him.

Joleon Lescott says YES to Rangers move and will sign within 24 hours

JOLEON LESCOTT has agreed to sign for Rangers.

SunSport Online understands the 34-year-old ex-England star will sign a two-year deal in time for Saturday's clash with Motherwell.

We exclusively revealed on Tuesday that Lescott was the defender wanted by Ibrox boss Mark Warburton.

It's now expected Lescott will complete his move in the next 24 hours.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7225975/Joleon-Lescott-says-YES-to-Rangers-move-and-will-sign-within-24-hours.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-scotsunsport-_-20160818-_-News-_-548086713