The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

Far from questioning his judgement i'm actually excited that a man like him has decided to make what is a very large outlay for us at this time on this player. Given the mangers past record for managing money you have to think there is a good chance that Joe Garner may be a revelation at Ibrox. It would make him look very bad indeed in the current financial situation if Garner was anything less than exhilarating.

He spent £500K on MOH!

There would have been no need to go any further had you simply admitted you may have been wrong in your assertion. But instead you started throwing in new statements to defend or justify your position.

You know that this House of Cards of yours falls down with your simple assumption that you knew what I meant with "top notch player". And when I explained it a little more, you started your spin off with "moving goalposts et al, which was and still is utter rubbish.

How you equate "irate" to defending Barton's career is beyond me, but par for the course with you dB. You have no capacity to accept when you may be wrong, as is your prerogative.

It was YOU who threw Barton into the debate with your view that Barton "is more top notch than Senderos". Kranjcar alone should have given you the clue though. Someone who was known beyond the English Channel. Someone who would be recognized in the world of football. Someone who has played at Euro 2008, the World Cup 2010, who had played years for a top EPL side - Senderos that is. As opposed to someone like hundreds of players who played in the EPL over the years for pre-billionaire ManCity sides, also-rans and relegation candidates QPR, Newcastle et al, someone hardly anyone this side of the Channel will know, unless you live in Marseille. This may dent the English ego, but if you go to a more objective level, you would agree, instead of throwing EPL appearances about as if it was something that elevates a player to a certain height, no matter who he is or for which team he played. There are probably dozens of current and former EPL players who would get slaughtered if linked with us.

All the above is in no way saying that Barton is a lesser or in fact a worse footballer than e.g. Senderos. Many will sure deem him a top notch player and rightly so. But he is not in the same category as Kranjcar, Senderos, Bocanegra, Arveladze, de Boer, Klos etc.. THAT was what I was saying in my first post on that topic and will stick by it. And I will copy my last sentence of that post again, apparently kindly ignored as well: Given where he's played and for whom, rather than personal opinion about his ability.

NB: I would be grateful if you keep personal attacks out of your replies. It doesn't befit Gersnet nor any of its mods.

He spent £500K on MOH!

I think O'Halloran looks the part when he gets a run in the team and this is another level from 500K

And aside from all that i'm thoroughly enjoying the frenzy the hibz grunts in particular get themselves into simply because we can actually spend a million plus on a player. Their tiny minds can't fathom how a club with over 40,000 season ticket holders can do that while they rummage around in the cast offs from the basement of the bargain basement.

It has to mean we're spending money we can't afford so financial meltdown is imminent then when that doesn't happen I suppose they can always go back to reminiscing about a once in a century cup win and a 20 second European campaign.

You know that this House of Cards of yours falls down with your simple assumption that you knew what I meant with "top notch player". And when I explained it a little more, you started your spin off with "moving goalposts et al, which was and still is utter rubbish.

It was YOU who threw Barton into the debate with your view that Barton "is more top notch than Senderos". Kranjcar alone should have given you the clue though. Someone who was known beyond the English Channel. Someone who would be recognized in the world of football. Someone who has played at Euro 2008, the World Cup 2010, who had played years for a top EPL side - Senderos that is. As opposed to someone like hundreds of players who played in the EPL over the years for pre-billionaire ManCity sides, also-rans and relegation candidates QPR, Newcastle et al, someone hardly anyone this side of the Channel will know, unless you live in Marseille. This may dent the English ego, but if you go to a more objective level, you would agree, instead of throwing EPL appearances about as if it was something that elevates a player to a certain height, no matter who he is or for which team he played. There are probably dozens of current and former EPL players who would get slaughtered if linked with us.

All the above is in no way saying that Barton is a lesser or in fact a worse footballer than e.g. Senderos. Many will sure deem him a top notch player and rightly so. But he is not in the same category as Kranjcar, Senderos, Bocanegra, Arveladze, de Boer, Klos etc.. THAT was what I was saying in my first post on that topic and will stick by it. And I will copy my last sentence of that post again, apparently kindly ignored as well: Given where he's played and for whom, rather than personal opinion about his ability.

NB: I would be grateful if you keep personal attacks out of your replies. It doesn't befit Gersnet nor any of its mods.

Aye ok dB. Carry on.

NB - show me the personal attacks against you and I will apologise. There are none so no need to be mock offended. As for a comment about "mods" we are every bit as entitled to debate as the next person. Being a moderator carries little more responsibility in terms of posting style. So please save me the faux offense.

The notion that Senderous is more of a "top notch" signing than Barton is preposterous to me. Not only that but in your lengthy tirade about being "continentally known" and not just in Britain I would simply direct you to your post where YOU made the statement along the lines of "based on one season for Marseille whilst Senderos played a dozen years in the EPL". YOU were the one that originated the EPL as the yardstick for debate ! So, again, you move the goal posts and try to back peddle yourself into a justifiable position.

I'm done with this "debate". You have back tracked too many times, changed your own justification too many times. You've dug a big enough hole it is tough to climb out of.

So I will just agree to disagree with you and move on.

I think you need to learn that it is sometimes acceptable to admit you may be wrong. But that clearly isn't in your psyche.

You have obviously watched Lescott a lot of times!,I haven't seen too much of him,however he has a terrific CV and has been bought and sold for millions as well as getting 20+ England caps!,he can't pass?,Kiernan & Wilson pass the ball better?

Lescott was a good player at Everton and the big money move to Man City never really worked. He had a hard time at West Brom and Villa was a disaster last season. He didn't help himself with his silly social media photos and comments. His best days are well behind him and I don't see him as a Davie Weir kind of defence organiser. In addition, he is another left footer. That means that Wilson, Hill and Lescott are all left footed, leaving Kiernan as our only right footed CD. For the life of me, I cant think of a single Central defence partnership that comprised two left footed players (not just Rangers, any club at any time). Plenty of brilliant right footed partnerships but cant recall two left footed central defenders combining for any length of time. I don't know why this is, just seems unbalanced.

Lescott was a good player at Everton and the big money move to Man City never really worked. He had a hard time at West Brom and Villa was a disaster last season. He didn't help himself with his silly social media photos and comments. His best days are well behind him and I don't see him as a Davie Weir kind of defence organiser. In addition, he is another left footer. That means that Wilson, Hill and Lescott are all left footed, leaving Kiernan as our only right footed CD. For the life of me, I cant think of a single Central defence partnership that comprised two left footed players (not just Rangers, any club at any time). Plenty of brilliant right footed partnerships but cant recall two left footed central defenders combining for any length of time. I don't know why this is, just seems unbalanced.

Probably because only 10 percent of people are left footed.

All about opinions, I for one think he would be a great signing and a step up on what we have.

I am inclined to agree. He might have struggled in the Premiership recently, but he's still playing there regularly and the difference in quality he'd face up here is seismic. The truth is that just about any regular English Premiership player would find our league a complete doddle.

Aye ok dB. Carry on.

NB - show me the personal attacks against you and I will apologise. There are none so no need to be mock offended. As for a comment about "mods" we are every bit as entitled to debate as the next person. Being a moderator carries little more responsibility in terms of posting style. So please save me the faux offense.

The notion that Senderous is more of a "top notch" signing than Barton is preposterous to me. Not only that but in your lengthy tirade about being "continentally known" and not just in Britain I would simply direct you to your post where YOU made the statement along the lines of "based on one season for Marseille whilst Senderos played a dozen years in the EPL". YOU were the one that originated the EPL as the yardstick for debate ! So, again, you move the goal posts and try to back peddle yourself into a justifiable position.

I'm done with this "debate". You have back tracked too many times, changed your own justification too many times. You've dug a big enough hole it is tough to climb out of.

So I will just agree to disagree with you and move on.

You see, you spun off a nice debate about Barton being more "top notch" than Senderos. In your opinion (sic!). Apparently, you knew what my opinion on "top notch" was from the off and disregarded mine even after clearing it up. Instead you helped yourself to another "moving sticks" debate, which is one way of leading a debate. Thereafter you essentially said that Barton is more top notch because of playing in the EPL much more than Senderos, but quite simply disregarding for whom and at what level. Something I addressed in my last post. There are hundreds of players with hundreds of games for EPL sides that will never be regarded as "top notch" elsewhere, as the opinion on that status differ. But that doesn't matter to you, since you brushed it all away with a cleansing "moving goalpost" argument. Which essentially placing your opinion over mine. And to top it all off, instead of accepting any clarification (regarding the initial post, Senderos and Barton's "standing") to make it a more healthy debate, you refer to back-peddling and holes rather than anything else.

I think you need to learn that it is sometimes acceptable to admit you may be wrong. But that clearly isn't in your psyche.

+ You have no capacity to accept when you may be wrong, as is your prerogative.

Well, does it get much more close and personal? I'm not sure to whom you are thinking you are talking to? From half a handful of debates with differing opinions you appear to have enough knowledge of me to start lecturing me on life? On a message board? After apparently lacking any sort of will to argue on a decent level in this very thread?

We can agree to disagree, but there - with all due respect - it should end.

If you see any need to carry this on, you can switch to PM.

Edited by der Berliner