The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

If Garner comes here and scores a barrowload, as I think he probably will from what I've seen of him, there is a chance a Championship side in the bottom half of the table come January might lob £3 million northwards. But the criticism seems fair, this appears to be a signing made where the criteria of sell on has taken a back seat to simply getting the goals our play deserves. Doubtless we have been in for, and been knocked back by, players of a similar ability but with sell on value; if the choice is between no new strikers and a striker with limited future value, buy the striker (as long as we can afford it, of course).

In all honesty, I can't see much wrong with that.

I think there is virtually no chance whatsoever of us making a profit from this transfer.

If Garner comes here and scores a barrowload, as I think he probably will from what I've seen of him, there is a chance a Championship side in the bottom half of the table come January might lob £3 million northwards. But the criticism seems fair, this appears to be a signing made where the criteria of sell on has taken a back seat to simply getting the goals our play deserves. Doubtless we have been in for, and been knocked back by, players of a similar ability but with sell on value; if the choice is between no new strikers and a striker with limited future value, buy the striker (as long as we can afford it, of course).

In all honesty, I can't see much wrong with that.

I would agree a player with a sell on value is better, who wouldn't? But that's not the real reasons behind the digs being taken at this signing. They're enraged that we can indulge in million plus transfers at all. In their minds that's against the rules for Rangers simply because of what we could now begin to call a historic financial issue.

They dearly wanted us to "struggle to be top 6" and since it's now becoming evident that's highly unlikely indeed they need an avenue to vent their frustration that the minute we're back we may prove to be exactly what we always said we would be. The only credible challengers for what without us was a pathetic one horse race.

Sell on value is of minor importance regarding the Garner signing. What is of major importance is that he provide us with a goal stream which then propels us into a Euro spot and that's where the value comes into it. That's of greater monetary value than probably any 2 or even 3 players in the side right now.

I agree - I also think that it would be harsh to judge any player from Villa on last season (look at Sinclair - Villa fans were shocked they got a fee for him - up here he is being lauded as some sort of world beater)

every signing celtc make is trumpeted like that from sycophantic bullshitters

its indicative of nothing.

Rangers made to sweat on Joe Garner deal as contract issue holds up move

RANGERS boss Mark Warburton faces an anxious sweat to see if he can get Joe Garner in before the weekend clash with Motherwell.

The Ibrox side are confident the deal will happen but there has been a hold up on the player’s side.

Express Sport understands that the issue is a contractual issue that Garner has to resolve - and is not to do with the Rangers side of things.

Rangers have agreed a £1.5 million deal with Preston and were hoping the player would be in Glasgow for his medical on Thursday but the club are still waiting for confirmation from Garner’s camp.

There were some doubts as to whether or not the deal would be done before the Premiership clash on Saturday although Warburton still expects the deal will go through – sooner rather than later.

The Light Blues have agreed a deal with the Lilywhites that they would pay £750,000 upfront and then the same again next year.

The 28-year-old, who previously worked with Warburton at Watford, is likely to become the biggest financial signing of the summer for the Light Blues and will fight it out with Kenny Miller, Joe Dodoo, Michael O'Halloran and Martyn Waghorn for the front slots.

Warburton is also looking to add to his defence.

He has held talks with frozen-out Aston Villa defender Joleon Lescott.

He is waiting to see if Lescott can come to an agreement over the remainder of his Villa contract although he also faces competition from Sunderland for his signature.

Black Cats boss David Moyes worked with Lescott previously at Everton.

Rangers currently have Swiss international defender Philippe Senderos on trial.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/701214/Rangers-news-Joe-Garner-latest

Update from journo with good local contacts.

[tweet]766201697551192064[/tweet]

I doubt Garner will be able to train with the team ahead of Saturday's match so it may be he's on the bench for Saturday.

Update from journo with good local contacts.

[tweet]766201697551192064[/tweet]

I doubt Garner will be able to train with the team ahead of Saturday's match so it may be he's on the bench for Saturday.

Could still throw him in right away. Why not?

Colin Stein signed two days before his debut, by the ninth day he'd played 3 games and had scored 8 times. :)

To put things into consideration with the Joe Garner transfer, in the last 8 years we have only spent as much as this twice and that was Lee Wallace and Nikica Jelavic. And only one other player has had a + £1 million price tag (James Beattie).

Us spending this sort of money is like Chelsea or Man Utd paying £50 million on someone. It's a very strange choice for us to make in my opinion.

Could still throw him in right away. Why not?

Colin Stein signed two days before his debut, by the ninth day he'd played 3 games and had scored 8 times. :)

He may well start but I just think it's more likely he'll come off the bench. Miller scored last weekend so I'm not sure he'll be dropped immediately.