Rangers-mad five year old sent home from school for having blue hair

I don't understand why any parent would want to make a mess of their child's hair with such nonsense. Especially on a school-day.

Each to their own though.

Auld fuddy duddy!:D

There are millions of things we can ask WHY that are way worse than this. Why do people put screws in their back to hang themselves up on? Why would anyone have a Prins Albert piercing. I find this pretty mild and don't see what the commotion is all about. You see Kids everywhere with coloured hair.

I remember a number of years ago my wife had a shampoo to give your hair an auburn tint. I thought that it was a good idea and started using it. My hair turned purple. I was walking about for weeks with purple hair. :D

Auld fuddy duddy!:D

There are millions of things we can ask WHY that are way worse than this. Why do people put screws in their back to hang themselves up on? Why would anyone have a Prins Albert piercing. I find this pretty mild and don't see what the commotion is all about. You see Kids everywhere with coloured hair.

I remember a number of years ago my wife had a shampoo to give your hair an auburn tint. I thought that it was a good idea and started using it. My hair turned purple. I was walking about for weeks with purple hair. :D

I am a bit staid at times. :(

However, there's a time and place for such stuff and I'd say school isn't one of then. And, to be fair to the school, they've also said they'd allow it on more informal days so it seems to me the mother is to blame for not checking first.

Hardly the end of the world though and it's just another daft story in tabloids which seem to resemble comics more and more these days.

Edited by Frankie

I am a bit staid at times. :(

However, there's a time and place for such stuff and I'd say school isn't one of then. And, to be fair to the school, they've also said they'd allow it on more informal days so it seems to me the mother is to blame for not checking first.

Hardly the end of the world though and it's just another daft story in tabloids which seem to resemble comics more and more these days.

I guess I am more liberalised by living in Holland so long. I even find school uniforms Victorians. Putting on suits and black ties for funerals is another thing I find outdated. Do I show less respect wearing tidy denims and ordinary Jacket? I don't think so but as I say that is the Dutch part that has grown in me.

I guess I am more liberalised by living in Holland so long. I even find school uniforms Victorians. Putting on suits and black ties for funerals is another thing I find outdated. Do I show less respect wearing tidy denims and ordinary Jacket? I don't think so but as I say that is the Dutch part that has grown in me.

I agree with most of what you've said. Its a ridiculous story. One I see appearing more and more frequently in newspapers... particularly in tabloids. In this particular instance its simply cashing in on The Rangers brand.

However as far as I'm concerned there is a deeper pervasive and indeed insidious element to the story. Schools are supposed to be learning centres and by that I mean of the academic variety. Yet frequently I read of one child or another being sent home or refused to attend class for dress code issues. Schools in the UK, and this is where I disagree most vehemently with some of the 'its a distraction' comments, are not supposed to be Victorian prisons or press ganged, conscription based military holding centres where everyone must look, act and dress the same for fear of the breakdown in order.

How dare we cobble a childs development by curtailing their personal expression. If all children were permitted to wear what they want it would be second nature, nothing unusual, and certainly not a distraction. Instead we expect 5-15 year old children to not only wear a uniform but to be in uniform formations uttering uniform stock responses!

Q. Do you know who else did or does this?

A. Perm any number of combinations from regimes or religions.

An answer I feel should at least raise an eyebrow from the non puritanical protester. Of course there should be a code of conduct while on school grounds however it should not include a dress code. I don't care what any of you say about this sort of thing being a reflection of the real world and that dress codes are important because that is quite frankly conformist nonsense... they are not... unless we are indoctrinating our children to become unquestioning conformist drones. It has little to no educational value. Chefs, painters and a few others wear white not because it looks smart, although it can, but because they work with materials that stain darker coloured coveralls. Like wise blue, and brown coveralls are used to protect the clothes of workers wearing them from materials that would stain light coloured clothing. Like NHS staff these workers are identifiable by their uniforms. However it all becomes slightly odd to me when we move into the shirt and tie area of uniform/dress code. I cant tell the difference between an clerical officer, a GP, a bank clerk a teacher etc etc etc.

It might seem that I'm making a big deal out of nothing but I don't think I am as the argument sits at the very heart of my learnings. If he wants to dye his hair blue then its his choice of personal expression, like wise if it was green or any other colour. If he wants to wear a dress to school again its his personal expression and should illicit no 'surprised' response in the slightest. Schools treat these kinds of situations as rebellious actions. My question often leads back to the same rhetorical question. Rebelling against what exactly?

Totally unrelated and off topic I know but, living in Holland, how do you feel about the prospect of the old country 'Brexiting' as they put it? Will you feel cut off? Don't you think you should have a vote as an ex-pat?

I agree with most of what you've said. Its a ridiculous story. One I see appearing more and more frequently in newspapers... particularly in tabloids. In this particular instance its simply cashing in on The Rangers brand.

However as far as I'm concerned there is a deeper pervasive and indeed insidious element to the story. Schools are supposed to be learning centres and by that I mean of the academic variety. Yet frequently I read of one child or another being sent home or refused to attend class for dress code issues. Schools in the UK, and this is where I disagree most vehemently with some of the 'its a distraction' comments, are not supposed to be Victorian prisons or press ganged, conscription based military holding centres where everyone must look, act and dress the same for fear of the breakdown in order.

How dare we cobble a childs development by curtailing their personal expression. If all children were permitted to wear what they want it would be second nature, nothing unusual, and certainly not a distraction. Instead we expect 5-15 year old children to not only wear a uniform but to be in uniform formations uttering uniform stock responses!

Q. Do you know who else did or does this?

A. Perm any number of combinations from regimes or religions.

An answer I feel should at least raise an eyebrow from the non puritanical protester. Of course there should be a code of conduct while on school grounds however it should not include a dress code. I don't care what any of you say about this sort of thing being a reflection of the real world and that dress codes are important because that is quite frankly conformist nonsense... they are not... unless we are indoctrinating our children to become unquestioning conformist drones. It has little to no educational value. Chefs, painters and a few others wear white not because it looks smart, although it can, but because they work with materials that stain darker coloured coveralls. Like wise blue, and brown coveralls are used to protect the clothes of workers wearing them from materials that would stain light coloured clothing. Like NHS staff these workers are identifiable by their uniforms. However it all becomes slightly odd to me when we move into the shirt and tie area of uniform/dress code. I cant tell the difference between an clerical officer, a GP, a bank clerk a teacher etc etc etc.

It might seem that I'm making a big deal out of nothing but I don't think I am as the argument sits at the very heart of my learnings. If he wants to dye his hair blue then its his choice of personal expression, like wise if it was green or any other colour. If he wants to wear a dress to school again its his personal expression and should illicit no 'surprised' response in the slightest. Schools treat these kinds of situations as rebellious actions. My question often leads back to the same rhetorical question. Rebelling against what exactly?

Fair point, but coming from an education background there's also an argument to be made in favour of uniforms as a method of removing elements of social stigma. Everyone wearing the same removes the pressure from financially stricken families to keep up with more affluent neighbours. Nobody want's to be the 10yr old wearing old hand-me down clothes whilst the rest are in the latest trendy fashion.

Not saying it's right, just adding an additional consideration.

more likely be wearing hand me down uniforms from big brother and sister.

most schools have a dress code not necessarily a uniform.But sending a kid home because of their clothes,at a time when parents are fined for taking weans out of school for various reasons, makes no sense. You can't claim education is of paramount importance in one instance but not the other.

Usually what happens is if you think what a wean is wearing isn't appropriate a word in their ear does the trick, If it doesn't, a phone call home to enlist parents' support usually works

Totally unrelated and off topic I know but, living in Holland, how do you feel about the prospect of the old country 'Brexiting' as they put it? Will you feel cut off? Don't you think you should have a vote as an ex-pat?

He can vote in a Dutch election. Anyone living abroad should have no say in what happens in this country imo.

more likely be wearing hand me down uniforms from big brother and sister.

most schools have a dress code not necessarily a uniform.But sending a kid home because of their clothes,at a time when parents are fined for taking weans out of school for various reasons, makes no sense. You can't claim education is of paramount importance in one instance but not the other.

Usually what happens is if you think what a wean is wearing isn't appropriate a word in their ear does the trick, If it doesn't, a phone call home to enlist parents' support usually works

They want to ask 5 year old kids what sex they want to be considered as. That is far more important than any guff about wearing school uniform.