The circle is round: Police 'source' claims RFC fans blocked their response

Just like everyone was predicting that the Rangers support would eventually be the bad boys in the events of Saturday, Police Scotland has not let us down. Strange that it has taken a half week to come to this conclusion. Surely they knew this on Saturday evening. This stinks of we must blame someone but ourselves.

Even if it was true. Why were they outside and not circling the pitch that is where the biggest danger was.

Cops claim mob rule outside Hampden stopped them getting in to deal with battling Rangers and Hibs fans

POLICE officers stationed outside Hampden when thousands of fans invaded the pitch claim they were prevented from entering the stadium by angry Rangers crowds.

Complaints included being subjected to a barrage of abuse, their vans being jostled and some parents were accused of using their own kids to block roads.

One account given to the Record said a “mob mentality” prevailed outside the National Stadium after Hibs beat Rangers 3-2 in Saturday’s Scottish Cup final.

We were told people impeding and attacking a police convoy led to a 20-minute delay in riot control officers getting into the stadium.

The detailed description claimed: “This wasn’t 18 to 30-year-olds doing this, it was families, older men in suits, 12-year-olds shouting as fiercely as their fathers and mothers.

“It was ordinary people totally affected by ‘the mob mentality’.

Police move Hibernian fans off the pitch as they celebrate at the end of the match after winning the Scottish Cup Final

Officers claim they struggled to get past angry Rangers fans as they tried to get into stadium

“No one was attacking shops or other cars, it was all directed at me and my colleagues. The venom and bile directed at us shocked everyone in our detail and we are all experienced officers. I’ve never seen such anger directed at the police.”

He was addressing criticism of the police reaction to the Hibs fans’ pitch invasion which saw Rangers players being attacked. It descended into further violence as supporters of the Ibrox club entered the field to battle their rivals.

He said: “I, along with approximately 75 other officers who had public order duties outside the ground, immediately made our way to the ground from no further than one mile away.

"There were many more officers on duty but I can only speak about our detail. We were in marked police vans in convoy with blue lights and sirens. Our priority was to assist within the stadium.

“On entering Cathcart Road from Prospecthill Road, we were presented with a large crowd of Rangers fans leaving the ground on the pavements and road.

“Within seconds, they all started shouting at us, pointing to their watches saying we were ‘too late’.

“They were refusing to get out of our way, in some cases using their children to block our road and stop our vans, a tactic I had only seen in Northern Ireland.

"They then started hitting and spitting on the vans, throwing items at the vans, trying to rock the vans, kicking the vans, trying the doors.

“This isn’t a few bad eggs in the crowd – this was everyone walking past us. This lasted for 15 to 20 minutes. Had the road been relatively clear, we would have reached the stadium in 30 seconds.”

His comments were backed up by other cops, with one public order officer saying: “We heard lots of vans were attacked by Rangers fans, preventing police getting to the stadium quickly.

“Hibs fans were all inside invading the pitch and the ones who weren’t were waiting for the cup presentation.”

Another police source said: “A few of the lads were stopped from getting in the stadium when their vans were ambushed by Rangers fans outside Hampden.

“They’ve just joined in with mob mentality and surged towards the cops.”

The Record revealed yesterday that only 138 police officers were deployed inside the stadium at the final whistle with the majority outside as that’s where police chiefs anticipated most trouble.

Critics have said police were slow to respond inside to thousands of fans on the pitch, running battles and players being assaulted.

The cup presentation was delayed for 45 minutes. Just 14 people have so far been arrested.

We asked Police Scotland to address the officers’ accounts. They responded with a general statement.

Quoting Assistant Chief Constable Mark Williams, it read: “A full criminal investigation is now under way.

“We have a dedicated incident room and I’d appeal to anyone who has information in relation to criminal

behaviour at Hampden on Saturday to contact detectives on 0141 532 5457.

“Although we’ve made a number of arrests, I fully expect more to be made in the coming days as we sift through evidence from CCTV and other video footage and photographic images.

“Public safety is our No1 priority and the pitch incursion was unacceptable and jeopardised that.

“Our response was immediate, measured, proportionate and professional. In a short period of time, we deployed mounted officers, public order and conventional officers to separate the opposing supporters.”

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/cops-claim-mob-rule-outside-8052126#L68t08h6Li0SJ1eS.99

I'm not sure how these thousands of fans could see the Hibs fans come on, then leave the stadium, then make their way up Cathcart Road, all in time to stop police getting there 'in 30 seconds'. We must have some superfit supporters.

If, though, as our hero above says, the police strategy for dealing with trouble was belting down 'relatively clear' roads while 20,000 fans are leaving the stadium, you really do despair. Every single game i have ever been to - even the local junior side - has seen a temporary but emphatic jamming of the road outside. If the police couldn't get through to deal with the mayhem on the pitch, it isn't because of some fans pointing at their watches but because the cops were caught on the hop.

But it reeks of cobbled together excuses, two or three days after the facts and after the bright sparks have got their heads together to come up with a story. 15-20 minutes of fans attacking police vans, and not a single officer felt the need to get stuck in? Anyway, given the propensity of CCTV and police with cameras I have no doubt at all that footage of this disorder will be made available double quick.

But credit where it's due, the sleekit reference to Northern Ireland will ensure many file Saturday under bigot Rangers fans. Job done.

Edited by Germinal

“They were refusing to get out of our way, in some cases using their children to block our road and stop our vans, a tactic I had only seen in Northern Ireland.

"They then started hitting and spitting on the vans, throwing items at the vans, trying to rock the vans, kicking the vans, trying the doors.

“This isn’t a few bad eggs in the crowd – this was everyone walking past us. This lasted for 15 to 20 minutes. Had the road been relatively clear, we would have reached the stadium in 30 seconds.”

His comments were backed up by other cops, with one public order officer saying: “We heard lots of vans were attacked by Rangers fans, preventing police getting to the stadium quickly.

I don't believe ant of that

and its beyond sinister the way the police are trying to shift blame

anyone actually there and witness any of this riot that Rangers fans with children perpetrated?

When i was leaving, which was probably 10 mins after the pitch invasion and battles, the cops were on their way in the stadium most with their heads down in embarrassment at the abuse being directed at them for being TOO LATE!

Yes the author of the piece has history with using hun, something she will claim is fine because she says she is married to a rangers supporter.

The language of the piece is clear - particularly the Northern Ireland reference. I wonder who the anonymous police source is who came up with that belter? Anyway, twitter as usual abounds with pictures showing a different story.

Disgraceful of the record to print it.

Frankly I don't believe a word of this for a number of reasons. Claims allegedly coming from some anonymous cop? This as an example.

One account given to the Record said a “mob mentality” prevailed outside the National Stadium after Hibs beat Rangers 3-2 in Saturday’s Scottish Cup final.

Really? That means anything? It's ludicrous and it could just as well say one account given to the record said aliens prevailed outside for all the worth such rambling has. I kept looking for some official acknowledgement of such a claim and this is the nearest they can get to any such thing.

We asked Police Scotland to address the officers’ accounts. They responded with a general statement.

Quoting Assistant Chief Constable Mark Williams, it read: “A full criminal investigation is now under way.

“We have a dedicated incident room and I’d appeal to anyone who has information in relation to criminal

behaviour at Hampden on Saturday to contact detectives on 0141 532 5457.

“Although we’ve made a number of arrests, I fully expect more to be made in the coming days as we sift through evidence from CCTV and other video footage and photographic images.

“Public safety is our No1 priority and the pitch incursion was unacceptable and jeopardised that.

“Our response was immediate, measured, proportionate and professional. In a short period of time, we deployed mounted officers, public order and conventional officers to separate the opposing supporters.”

Not even a hint of a comment backing up the claims of this article.